GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X Box Live, How can Sony hope to compete?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 06/05/03 at 18:42
Regular
Hear that rolling sound? That because Sony dropped the ball on internet connectivity. Microsoft have picked it up, got their FPS line up sorted and seem destined to win the online battle by default. Sony have been way too slow. Microsoft are currently gearing their top titles for XBox live, for instance Halo 2 and PGR2. Also through May there's Ghost Recon and Wolfenstein. What have Sony unleashed as far as FPS's go? Tribes 2. erm..

Plus for the ps2 you actually have to buy the modem and buy the harddisk.

Am I overlooking something? aside from the blind loyalty factor?
Tue 06/05/03 at 18:42
Regular
"8==="
Hear that rolling sound? That because Sony dropped the ball on internet connectivity. Microsoft have picked it up, got their FPS line up sorted and seem destined to win the online battle by default. Sony have been way too slow. Microsoft are currently gearing their top titles for XBox live, for instance Halo 2 and PGR2. Also through May there's Ghost Recon and Wolfenstein. What have Sony unleashed as far as FPS's go? Tribes 2. erm..

Plus for the ps2 you actually have to buy the modem and buy the harddisk.

Am I overlooking something? aside from the blind loyalty factor?
Tue 06/05/03 at 18:44
Regular
"Ghost Mutt"
Please do shut up
Tue 06/05/03 at 18:46
Regular
"aka [EIRE] Taig"
Hedfix wrote:
> Hear that rolling sound?
No

Bckpac
:>P
Tue 06/05/03 at 18:55
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Hedfix wrote:
> Microsoft have picked it up, got their FPS line
> up sorted

FPS? Not as in First Person Shooter, I'd wager.

> and seem destined to win the online battle by default.

Sorry? Being broadband only has alienated enough people already, and there aren't THAT many Xbox owners anyway. Then take the amount of people ABLE to go online that choose NOT to because big hitters like Halo 2 aren't here yet, and you sure have a fearsome juggernaut, huh?

> Sony have been way too slow. Microsoft are currently gearing their top
> titles for XBox live, for instance Halo 2 and PGR2.

Sorry? They're both about a year away, and Sony's Network Adapter is launched across Europe across Europe, already with some compatible games (mostly sports) and others such as Socom out a few weeks later. Then there's stuff like Everquest and FFXI to come, and their other online projects.

> Also through May
> there's Ghost Recon and Wolfenstein. What have Sony unleashed as far
> as FPS's go? Tribes 2. erm..

Both of those titles are on the PS2, genius.

> Plus for the ps2 you actually have to buy the modem and buy the
> harddisk.

Whereas Xbox Live is free, apart from the £50 registration fee...

Sony has a massive userbase, much bigger than Xbox's. They will have more subscribers because there are more PS2 owners, simple as.
Tue 06/05/03 at 19:12
Regular
"8==="
Sorry. I should have said that i was accounting for any FPS on ps2 and xbox, the xbox version is bound to be better (timesplitters 2 for instance). I was also pointing out future titles ive heard of (yeah they are a year or so to go) but i've heard sweet fa from Sony and affiliates about anything good. (were defining good here by a game so good it could've been made by Rare, just so you know).
Also i was mainly concerning myself with FPS games. Sports games generally suck, final fantasy (give me a break) and everquest (long in the tooth?) I wouldn't want to play those off line let alone online with others.

as far as x box live costing 50 quid how much do you think harddisk and modem'll set back a ps2 user? almost worth gettin an xbox instead really and you get 4 ports out of the box (something sony have yet to do, do they think people are mugs?)
Tue 06/05/03 at 20:12
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Hedfix wrote:
> i've heard sweet fa from Sony and
> affiliates about anything good.

My Street, Final Fantasy Online, Resident Evil Online, SOCOM 1 and 2...

> Sports games
> generally suck, final fantasy (give me a break) and everquest (long in
> the tooth?) I wouldn't want to play those off line let alone online
> with others.

Your opinion is not fact! They are all very popular games.

> as far as x box live costing 50 quid how much do you think harddisk
> and modem'll set back a ps2 user?

£25 odd for the OFFICIAL adapter, the hard drive isn't even coming out in Europe at the moment and isn't really needed.

> almost worth gettin an xbox instead
> really and you get 4 ports out of the box (something sony have yet to
> do, do they think people are mugs?)

Sony could sell the PS2 at £500 with no controller slots and it would still sell.
Tue 06/05/03 at 20:15
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Don't slate him, he is new to the forums and has made a good point and doesn't deserve spazzy comments from you dudes. Theres no need unless he tries to sell us stuff or promises illegal tapes of Baby Spice... I'll miss that £6.50
Tue 06/05/03 at 20:15
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Hedfix wrote:
> (were defining good here by a game so
> good it could've been made by Rare, just so you know).

Chewing on old Nintendo scraps.

;D
Tue 06/05/03 at 20:23
Regular
"Festivus!"
Went the distance, now I'm back on my feet.

Online gaming? Pfft. None of my mates have the net anyways.

Peace.
Tue 06/05/03 at 20:36
"slightlyshortertagl"
Leave him alone, he's put forward his arguments well.

Live rules.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.