GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who builds their own PC's"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/05/03 at 18:10
Regular
Recently i decided it was time to upgrade my PC and after having quite a few expensive quotes i decided to build one myself. It was actually amazing how much money i saved and how much fun i had, i would have done it sooner if i knew how easy it was.

Is there anyone else out there who, like me has seen the light?
Wed 14/05/03 at 18:51
Regular
my brother built his own cpu
Tue 13/05/03 at 16:42
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
It's a bit fiddly, but fun.
Tue 13/05/03 at 16:14
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Mhm

Built a couple of my own, one for a friend, and now do one or two most weekends in a small local PC shop...until I get bored, then go taunt the Liverpool supporting staffies. Bwaha.

'tis very easy when you know how, but can be a bit daunting on your first time considering the value of the components etc.
Tue 13/05/03 at 16:02
Regular
I worked for an independant computer shop in Long Eaton for work experiance, and there I learnt how to build a PC to a specification.

Its as easy as hell, its more of just plugging stuff into the correct places....
Mon 12/05/03 at 23:54
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I would build my own PC but i have no idea what im doing.
Mon 12/05/03 at 23:46
Regular
Building PCs is fairly easy.

Most things will only fit into one slot anyway, and the wires and cables are even colour coded.
Mon 12/05/03 at 23:02
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Yeah I build my own. Currently I am working on a new motherboard that will be made out of a bread board and take any sort of chip. Think I will stick in a home made Crinkly Oven chip. Going to use a small drinks fridge for the case so it keeps the super fast Crinkly Oven chip nice and cool. Graphics card will be a nice set of colouring pens and the monitor a state of the art pad of paper. The sound card I am making is a left over car stero from a 70's Ford Capri, should still be good enough to play some MP3s on. Speakers are also left over from the Capri but should do the job fine. Hard disk is going to be a audio cassette, should be enough to store a OS and a few MP3s. Should be a top notch machine when finished.
Mon 12/05/03 at 22:48
Regular
Lol
Pray that it loads up..
Mon 12/05/03 at 22:35
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
I built mine, it wasn't that hard, knew how to do most bits then made the rest up and prayed.

I know that a proper engineer would probably cry if they'd seen the way I slapped it together.
Mon 12/05/03 at 22:30
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Yeah I've built probably about 10 - 15 pc's for either work or friends so far....all from scratch and yep it's really easy once you know how.

Would just like to point out that the advice about putting the CPU and the memory on the mobo before seating into the case first is extremely good advice.

Also pays to put the HSF on first as well :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.