GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who builds their own PC's"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/05/03 at 18:10
Regular
Recently i decided it was time to upgrade my PC and after having quite a few expensive quotes i decided to build one myself. It was actually amazing how much money i saved and how much fun i had, i would have done it sooner if i knew how easy it was.

Is there anyone else out there who, like me has seen the light?
Mon 19/05/03 at 19:29
Regular
"bing bang bong"
gamezfreak wrote:
> Tip.
>
> Computer Fairs.
>
> Best place to buy all your parts from.

I would counter this advice. If you go to a computer fair with the intent to buy the parts you need for a PC, chances are you'll leave with all the parts you need - whether they were exactly what you wanted at the right price or not. If you've got everything bar the graphics card to build your new machine, the likelyhood of you buying something other than what you set out to will be high. If you shop online, you avoid those dangers.

Also there are some pretty dodgy sellers at computer fairs, my experience of them is not good at all.
Sat 17/05/03 at 20:56
Regular
Theres building a pc using selected components derived from a company list such as which graphics card, sound card you wish to use. Then there is BUILDING a pc from raw materials using your knowledge taken from years of research, special education and a fat wad AKA £££. ;)
Sat 17/05/03 at 10:46
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
As a big fan of classics I rebuilt my old AST Brava Pentium 120- Changed the casing, added a 54X CD ROM and added another hard drive.
Fri 16/05/03 at 18:52
Regular
"I see you"
gamezfreak wrote:
> Tip.
>
> Computer Fairs.
>
> Best place to buy all your parts from.

Yep! Some great bargains there. I got most of my stuff from one. I know most of the people there anyway, as i've been going quite a while.
Fri 16/05/03 at 16:44
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Indeed.
Fri 16/05/03 at 16:18
Their p&p costs are pretty high.
Fri 16/05/03 at 15:42
Regular
Always built my own since i was 14 =) built loads in them 6 years, its an electrical jigsaw, nothing more.

The BIOS settings are a bit scary at first but as long as ya CPU dont melt your ok, you can then look up what each one means.

I would never buy from the computer fair as you just dont know who your dealing with, plus online prices are near enough the same, i normally buy from www.aria.co.uk a company based in manchester, always delivered first class products, well packaged and next day.
Thu 15/05/03 at 22:11
Regular
Silent Assassin wrote:
> Der Nazi wrote:
> You don't have to be that careful- I've got a 32MB graphics card in
> the top draw of my desk- and it's survived that. You just don't push
> components in too hard.
>
> Yeah i know but i wasn't prepared to folk out any more money for new
> components, so i thought 'better safe than sorry'.

Bit of a common problem .. it's alot of hassle to return parts as you have to pay postage for it etc.
Thu 15/05/03 at 21:58
Regular
Tip.

Computer Fairs.

Best place to buy all your parts from.
Thu 15/05/03 at 18:57
Regular
"I see you"
Der Nazi wrote:
> You don't have to be that careful- I've got a 32MB graphics card in
> the top draw of my desk- and it's survived that. You just don't push
> components in too hard.

Yeah i know but i wasn't prepared to folk out any more money for new components, so i thought 'better safe than sorry'.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.