GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who builds their own PC's"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/05/03 at 18:10
Regular
Recently i decided it was time to upgrade my PC and after having quite a few expensive quotes i decided to build one myself. It was actually amazing how much money i saved and how much fun i had, i would have done it sooner if i knew how easy it was.

Is there anyone else out there who, like me has seen the light?
Thu 15/05/03 at 17:20
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Silent Assassin wrote:
> Well i wore latex gloves when i was building mine, as i didn't want to
> damage the motherboard or any of the cards and it works fine not even
> a single twinge!

You don't have to be that careful- I've got a 32MB graphics card in the top draw of my desk- and it's survived that. You just don't push components in too hard.
Wed 14/05/03 at 21:07
"I love yo... lamp."
I have not built a whole PC yet, but I have done the majority of one. Going to build my next PC in the Autumn. From ground up. Designed for sheer crunching power so that I can boost my distributed computing stats.
Wed 14/05/03 at 21:04
Regular
"I see you"
Well i wore latex gloves when i was building mine, as i didn't want to damage the motherboard or any of the cards and it works fine not even a single twinge!
Wed 14/05/03 at 20:49
Regular
I'm too lazy to put one together :D
But i'm using companies recommended to me and based from people's opinions.
If i didn't i would go out and buy a pc world computer or even a tiny one.
Either way building is cheaper and could be more fun but buying from well known good companies is convenient.
If you burn something while fitting or do something wrong that's a few hundred down the drain.
Wed 14/05/03 at 20:45
Regular
You have to use the right companies.. and researching components will do you good to finalise what you want to do with it.
Wed 14/05/03 at 20:43
Regular
"I see you"
You can actually find some pretty cheap PC's about with good specs, but don't make the mistake i made last time i bought a PC. I didn't actually check my specs until a few months later and i ended up with a CPU 50mhz slower than i ordered.

That's why i decided to build my own and my advice to anyone now is 'Try It'. I only knew the basics of how to fit graphic cards, cpu's, sound cards etc... before, but now i know how to build one from scratch.
Wed 14/05/03 at 20:03
Regular
You need to look around if you don't want to build one but there's a few good companies around, just make sure you get the specifications you want.
Wed 14/05/03 at 19:58
Regular
"you've got a beard"
yiiiiiiiip, always build my own..
done a few for friends etc..
it's SO much cheaper and you know what you're getting, unlike when you get a pre-prepared package with various things already installed. i bought my first PC and got caught with "onboard AGP graphics"... all well and goo, but no extra expansion >:(
it's all in the wording, so i decided to just do it myself. it's amazing how much you can learn by just jumping in the deep end and starting :)
Wed 14/05/03 at 19:56
Regular
"you've got a beard"
A_Spoon wrote:
> my brother built his own cpu

...how did he manage that??
a single CPU would cost an unbelievable amount of money to make, given the machinery and intricasy needed to produce it...

(not trying to sound deliberately confronational mate, just interested...)
Wed 14/05/03 at 19:17
Regular
"Yours or Mine"
Build? me? your having a laugh i am polly one of the laziest people alive :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.