GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rare's Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/05/03 at 09:29
Regular
Xbox is getting a Conker game.

With Online play. (I think)

Only it's a team based shooter.

Bah! That's not Conker.

On the other hand, Grabbed by the Ghoulies looks to be a decent game.
Mon 19/05/03 at 18:26
Regular
Wobbly Sumo wrote:
> Zeldas graphics copied Jet Set Radio.

Er.. no. Zelda's graphics are toon rendering, in which everything is modelled in full 3D - none of that invisible walls malarky. Cel Shading is taking a 2D black-outlined cell and shading in a colour. Completely different.

And just as a side note - my comments in this thread have been my pure opinion, not altered by some pathetic bitterness about Rare leaving Nintendo. One of the reasons I bought an Xbox, was because I was expecting big things from Rare. It doesn't take a fortune teller to show these are horribly underwhelming. Sure, I'll keep an open mind, but from what I've seen, I really think Rare have lost the plot.
Mon 19/05/03 at 18:18
Regular
"8==="
True. But Rare will at least delay instead of releasing an unfinished/unpolished game. Which sets them way above EA.
Mon 19/05/03 at 18:18
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> So many GameCube owners (including Mav) have complained about Halo
> being 'just another FPS'

*Actually*, over the past few weeks as I've been playing it more and more, some of the more assertive natured of you may have noticed my opinion's changed.. dramatically. I was wrong to judge it after just six hours of play and, while I still do believe it's overrated (nowhere near being the best game ever), it's now my favourite *proper* FPS. Replacing Goldeneye.
Mon 19/05/03 at 15:25
Regular
"Remember me?"
Strafex wrote:
> All that depends is the team of designers that are working on a
> particular game, and that changes from game to game. Sometimes they
> get it right, sometimes they don't.

Just like any developer really. The creative team working for a particular team could change from game to game, and this is reflected in the end product. No developer continuously churns out top-notch games. The problem is that Rare developed a few truly excellent games and now people expect far too much from them.
Mon 19/05/03 at 14:54
Regular
Starfox Adventures was complete crap... but I don't think that was because Rare had "lost it".

The graphics were stunning so that shows that Rare hadn't lost any of their technical capabilities (this is reflected in Kameo too).
The game design was messed up, but the game had to keep being redesigned, and I think Nintendo must've requested that it got "dumbed down" for kids and stuff...

Anyways, those Rare deserters left before Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark and Conker's Bad Fur Day, so they didn't take all Rare's creative talents away.

Also, Rare have ALWAYS been hit and miss.
One day they make a Goldeneye/Conker/Donkey Kong Country, another they make a Killer Instinct/Starfox/Donkey Kong 64.

They've lost no technical standards.
All that depends is the team of designers that are working on a particular game, and that changes from game to game. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they don't.
Mon 19/05/03 at 14:44
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
I'm getting an Xbox and Rare's games don't
> excite me in the slightest.

Exactly.

And GEIST looks cool. Stop slagging it off. Its still in development too.

Soo moo. I want to fiddle with circuit boards inside a door, then jump into a guys head and muller loads of guards.

Moo moo.
Mon 19/05/03 at 01:02
Regular
The difference being though that Twin Snakes has Hideo Kojima and Shigeru Miyamoto's backing.

Anyway enough with the negativity.

I look forward to Rare's games, just hope that they're worth playing.
Mon 19/05/03 at 00:58
Regular
Rare know what people expect from them and Starfox Adventures was very much below average. However with Perfect Dark they already have the gine and ground work to make Perfect Dark 2. Kameo looks excellent, a new Conker game would be brilliant and on top of that the prospects of a new Banjo game and Perfect Dark 2. Any gamer in the right mind wouldn't bluff these off as cash ins and any gamer in the right mind would look forward to these with a high level of expectation. Rare WILL make another classic in one form or another and be it a well known game franchise like Banjo or Perfect Dark or be it an unkown franchise like the Platformer they announced at E3 I for one will be keeping an open mind.

It might look nothing special at the moment but so do Geist and Metal Gear Solid: Twin Tales yet there have been lots of posts saying how great these games will be. When people have played the games or have seen more about them then that will be the time to say if the game will live up to expectations or not. The fact that so many have said that the games Rare announced are utter rubbish is politically incorrect as I am sure that a future Rare title with a little innovation will bring their fans flooding back. I hope I am right about this as it would be nice to have a few more Platform games on the Xbox with a high credability rating.

Until that time I like many others will just keep an open mind and hope that Rare can regain some of stature which they gained with the likes of Golden Eye, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo and Conker. With or without Nintendo's backing I am sure that Rare will light up the gaming industry once more in the not too distant future.
Mon 19/05/03 at 00:43
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Don't forget how rubbish Donkey Kong was.
Mon 19/05/03 at 00:41
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
This
> happened when Microsoft bought Rare and it will continue to happen.

That's bull.

Rare have gone down hill a lot in people's eyes after releasing the terrible stinkfest that was Starfox Adventures. It took them over 2 years to make the game and it turned out to be a boring, unoriginal piece of toss. A lot of the members of the former Rare have left and gone to Free Radical and Zoonami and it shows in Starfox.

Okay some people are just gonna look at the games and say they're crap, because they're still annoyed with Rare for leaving Nintendo, that's their problem.

The majority of people though will look at Rare's games with an open mind and see to be honest, some very average looking games. You can say "oh all Ninty's are anti Rare and say the games stink just because they're with Microsoft" until you're blue in the face. But at the end of the day, I'm getting an Xbox and Rare's games don't excite me in the slightest. If the games did look like being the high standards we expected from Rare then I would be jumping for joy and I'm sure a lot of Ninty's would be doing the same and would probably plan to get an Xbox

Without Nintendo backing them and helping them with their games, I just see things in Twycross going from bad to worse.

The day they churn out another classic though will be the day I eat my words, I hope to god that they prove me wrong and have still got it in them to make top quality games.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.