GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rare's Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/05/03 at 09:29
Regular
Xbox is getting a Conker game.

With Online play. (I think)

Only it's a team based shooter.

Bah! That's not Conker.

On the other hand, Grabbed by the Ghoulies looks to be a decent game.
Thu 22/05/03 at 12:43
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> No technical problems? The absence of the bug fixing meant we had
> ticky dissapearing... walking through walls... we had weapons asigned
> but different weapons fireing... it redefined poor.

Alright, the game was rushed out with one or two minor glitches and bugs, MINOR ones. But the game's graphics were no less than jaw dropping. It was even better than what the Xbox usually produces.

> I heared negative things about it [Kameo].

Where?
I'd like to see them.

If this dates back to the old Gamecube demo's then that was VERY early material, just a demo on how the game would work, hence the sparse characterless levels.

If there's been any gameplay reports since then, direct me to them. I'd like to know how they game is coming along.
Wasn't it meant to be released by now?

"> But anyway, if Rare had stayed with Nintendo we would still be
> seeing
> the same games being shown, and we'd still be feeling underwhelmed.
> It's probably because we aren't seeing any familiar franchises, they
> would be making the new Donkey Kong if they were still working"
>
> Wrong I think Rare would have made a "NEW" Conker game as
> Nintendo owners won't need to keep up to date with the series.

I wasn't wrong because you disagreed with what Whitestripes said! :-P
Anyways, who's to say that Rare AREN'T working on a new Conker game. As it is, making the game engine is half the game, and normally doesn't start until the design is complete.

The design for this update was quick so technical work started quickly, so most of the groundwork for a sequel is complete.
They just have to design it.

Probably...
Wed 21/05/03 at 18:33
Regular
Strafex wrote:

> Having said that, there were no technical problems.
> The graphics were consistantly amazing.

No technical problems? The absence of the bug fixing meant we had ticky dissapearing... walking through walls... we had weapons asigned but different weapons fireing... it redefined poor.

> Kameo's been develloped by a different team so the game design is in
> their hands. Hopefully they know what they're doing.
> I can't tell from the demo movies whether the gameplay looks
> promising, but I'm sure it won't be as dire as Starfox's.

I heared negative things about it.

> But anyway, if Rare had stayed with Nintendo we would still be
> seeing
> would be making the new Donkey Kong if they were still working

Wrong I think Rare would have made a "NEW" Conker game as Nintendo owners won't need to keep up to date with the series.
Tue 20/05/03 at 22:20
Regular
Whitestripes DX wrote:

> To come out with something so dire after 4-5 years is a real worry, I
> was looking forward to Kameo but since it's in the same vein as SFA
> I'm rather worried about it.

It was changed to Starfox halfway through and was almost completely re-designed... but yeah, still a mess.
Having said that, there were no technical problems.
The graphics were consistantly amazing.

Just the game design itself was tedious, the whole game land was souless and lifeless (you didn't get the feeling you were saving something real, just an area full of dinosaurs that sat around in the same place all day with some semi-cryptic message for you), and the fight system was just pathetic (which probably ruined the game overall as it required no skill, just timing and luck).

Kameo's been develloped by a different team so the game design is in their hands. Hopefully they know what they're doing.
I can't tell from the demo movies whether the gameplay looks promising, but I'm sure it won't be as dire as Starfox's. When playing through Starfox, it almost felt like the game was aimed exclusively at little children, with no flexibility or depth for an older gamer to play around with.

> But anyway, if Rare had stayed with Nintendo we would still be seeing
> would be making the new Donkey Kong if they were still working on the
> GC.

Yeah. Still, it was the hyped ones that always ended up as disappointments, even the good ones like Perfect Dark.
I wasn't exactly hyped up about Goldeneye, Conker or Donkey Kong Country when I first played them, infact I was pretty sceptic about all of them until I played them.
Tue 20/05/03 at 19:59
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Never played it Mav? Is it not on your 20 demo thing you said you bought?

(by the way that level in the demo is one of the poorest there is in the game)
Mon 19/05/03 at 23:08
Regular
Rare still have majorily high standards and they still hire the best.
Mon 19/05/03 at 23:07
Regular
Never played it. But I know that *proper* cel shading is 2D.
Mon 19/05/03 at 23:00
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
JSRF is 3D.
Mon 19/05/03 at 22:53
Regular
Wobbly Sumo wrote:
> it is just a variation of cel shading isnt it?

It depends on how you look at it. Yes, it's cartoony and colourful - just like cels, but it's fully 3D (not 2D) and it does look a hell of a lot better for it.
Mon 19/05/03 at 18:54
Regular
Wobbly Sumo wrote:
> Im all up for what ever it is - it looks cool. But surly you could
> have named it somthing modern and mysterious - Like 'Ani-Redering', or
> 'Manag-mation'...anything but - Toon Rendering?!?!?

It's derived from the word cartoon - Shigsy wanted it to feel like you were playing throught a magical cartoon or something. Besides, many people (like yourself) regard it as cel shading - it's just the ninties that know the technical name for it :D.
Mon 19/05/03 at 18:34
Regular
2 years?

Starfox Adventures had been around since the middle years of the N64 life.

To come out with something so dire after 4-5 years is a real worry, I was looking forward to Kameo but since it's in the same vein as SFA I'm rather worried about it.

But anyway, if Rare had stayed with Nintendo we would still be seeing the same games being shown, and we'd still be feeling underwhelmed. It's probably because we aren't seeing any familiar franchises, they would be making the new Donkey Kong if they were still working on the GC.

One another thing though, instead of yet another team based shooter, we would be seeing CBFD2...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.