GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Enter the Matrix - Is it any good?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Enter the Matrix'.
Sat 24/05/03 at 18:05
Regular
I have seen so many reviews of this game, and read so many opinions. Some say its 10/10, some says its 1/10. In fact, Im a litle confussed.

I cannot think of one other game that has had such varied scores! And I just don't know if I should buy I or not. I like the movie, but am unsure about the game.

UKchatforums.com has several rooms on this game now - but on all the differant formats. So lets all join here, and decide once and for all if its a stunner or a bummer.

Because I just don't know anymore!
Sat 24/05/03 at 22:30
"I love yo... lamp."
I bought the Xbox version on Thursday and played it until 5am Friday. I think it is great, but those who hate the movie will hate it. The bullet time stuff looks great. But for me one of the coolest things was hacking mode. I just hope there is more to it than I have found so far. It is worth the money. Not finished it yet, but getting there.
Sun 25/05/03 at 00:54
Regular
Its neither a stunner or a bummer. I would say it was an average game with fantastic fights (although a little easy) and the Bullet Time also works very well. Those who say its worth 10/10 don't know what they are talking about and those that say it is worth 1/10 don't know what they are talking about. The best way to judge it is to take your favourite and worst game of all time and compare all the usually areas of the game (i.e. Graphics) and rate them whilst relating to your worst and favourite game. If you rent Enter the Matrix and do this test fairly it is the only way you will get to find out what you think of the game. Its not any use to you if you get a lot of mixed opinions because you will still be stuck in the same boat going down the same river. Get £3.75 and nip down to your local Blockbusters and see what you think for yourself.
Fri 30/05/03 at 20:07
Regular
"i like cars!!!!!!"
its pucka, i would rent it firs just in case you dont like it.
Sat 31/05/03 at 09:49
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
You're running along the roof of a high rise, a negro-clad man chasing you with his .357 Thompson - shooting at you, but missing. He reloads and fires off another round. It will hit you. You will die. Wait a minute, time is slowing down as I'm spinning through the air, I can see the bullets whizzing around me, I can dodge them with ease.

Enter The Matrix puts you in the boots of either Niobe (Jada Pinkett-Smith) or Ghost (Anthony Wong) as their adventures run parallel to that of the Matrix Reloaded, released mid-last month. They are both sent to investigate the Osiris's last message. Side note: "The Final Flight of the Osiris" is on the to-be-released Animatrix DVD (a collection of 9 tales that act as a prelude to the Matrix) as a 9-minute short and tells a lot more about the Osiris.

It's reassuring to know that the Wachowski brothers wrote and directed this game, but the actual relevance to Reloaded isn't great, and it weaves in-and-out of the Reloaded plot, which isn't neccessarily a bad thing, as don't just play what we've watched on the big screen. However, the design of the game is class - you have a Focus meter, which enables slow motion mode, where you can bend the rules of the matrix and dogde bullets, run up walls or dive through the air as guards haplessly try to shoot you.

The graphics are quite good, but they're not amazing. To liken them, I'd have to say they're quite similar to that of the Getaway, except there's no room for rotation of your character and you are constantly following them. The graphics are nothing special, but do the job. The audio is good, as we get some licensed music from the Matrix trilogy and decent fighting sounds. In terms of presentation, a nice little feature is that clips from the Matrix Revolutions (not released for another five months!) are interwoven into the action and give us some tasters for November.

There is a multitude of extras in the mix also, namely the Hacking Mode, where you can attempt to hack the Matrix mainframe and obtain "data", ranging from pictures, to movie trailers to the disappointing multiplayer mode. While this mode is entertaining and rewarding, it gets very frustrating and younger gamers will not understand how to work the console and load .exe files.

No games are without flaws, though, and this game is no different. Now, I have heard a lot of people complain about the lack of a tutorial mode and whilst they are true, it only takes a matter of five minutes to play the first level, muck around and get the controls sorted. If you have half a brain (and if you're reading this probably do), it's not a problem. I have one large gripe, and that's the AI - it is quite glitchy in parts, mainly thanks to the Focus mode. When you focus, guards cannot hit you, and this quite often causes the guards to freeze up, just hitting the air as if there's a fly around.

So, is Enter The Matrix a flawless, well-rounded special-effects laden shooter? No. Is it a fun ride? Damn right.

In a word, it owns :D
Fri 13/06/03 at 15:03
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Kiriyama wrote:
a negro-clad man chasing you with his .357 Thompson

---

?????
Sun 15/06/03 at 18:05
Regular
Kiriyama wrote:
> You're running along the roof of a high rise, a negro-clad man chasing
> you with his .357 Thompson - shooting at you, but missing. He reloads
> and fires off another round. It will hit you. You will die. Wait a
> minute, time is slowing down as I'm spinning through the air, I can
> see the bullets whizzing around me, I can dodge them with ease.
>
> Enter The Matrix puts you in the boots of either Niobe (Jada
> Pinkett-Smith) or Ghost (Anthony Wong) as their adventures run
> parallel to that of the Matrix Reloaded, released mid-last month. They
> are both sent to investigate the Osiris's last message. Side note:
> "The Final Flight of the Osiris" is on the to-be-released
> Animatrix DVD (a collection of 9 tales that act as a prelude to the
> Matrix) as a 9-minute short and tells a lot more about the Osiris.
>
> It's reassuring to know that the Wachowski brothers wrote and directed
> this game, but the actual relevance to Reloaded isn't great, and it
> weaves in-and-out of the Reloaded plot, which isn't neccessarily a bad
> thing, as don't just play what we've watched on the big screen.
> However, the design of the game is class - you have a Focus meter,
> which enables slow motion mode, where you can bend the rules of the
> matrix and dogde bullets, run up walls or dive through the air as
> guards haplessly try to shoot you.
>
> The graphics are quite good, but they're not amazing. To liken them,
> I'd have to say they're quite similar to that of the Getaway, except
> there's no room for rotation of your character and you are constantly
> following them. The graphics are nothing special, but do the job. The
> audio is good, as we get some licensed music from the Matrix trilogy
> and decent fighting sounds. In terms of presentation, a nice little
> feature is that clips from the Matrix Revolutions (not released for
> another five months!) are interwoven into the action and give us some
> tasters for November.
>
> There is a multitude of extras in the mix also, namely the Hacking
> Mode, where you can attempt to hack the Matrix mainframe and obtain
> "data", ranging from pictures, to movie trailers to the
> disappointing multiplayer mode. While this mode is entertaining and
> rewarding, it gets very frustrating and younger gamers will not
> understand how to work the console and load .exe files.
>
> No games are without flaws, though, and this game is no different.
> Now, I have heard a lot of people complain about the lack of a
> tutorial mode and whilst they are true, it only takes a matter of five
> minutes to play the first level, muck around and get the controls
> sorted. If you have half a brain (and if you're reading this probably
> do), it's not a problem. I have one large gripe, and that's the AI -
> it is quite glitchy in parts, mainly thanks to the Focus mode. When
> you focus, guards cannot hit you, and this quite often causes the
> guards to freeze up, just hitting the air as if there's a fly
> around.
>
> So, is Enter The Matrix a flawless, well-rounded special-effects laden
> shooter? No. Is it a fun ride? Damn right.
>

is this a review you submitted? and if not, shouldn't you submit it?
> In a word, it owns :D
Mon 16/06/03 at 02:03
Regular
"cachoo"
Ooh I like the hacking mode. I feel like a.. hacker!!

I think it's good. Best thing about it is how they kick a$$.. The slo-mo mode(focus) thingy is very cool!

But I completed it in about 9 hours so now I'm bored with it..
And those agents scare the crap out of me..
Mon 23/06/03 at 21:21
"cheater...cheater.."
People who say Enter The Matrix is 1/10 are wrong.
People who say Enter The Matrix is 10/10 are also wrong.

So what's good about the game?

Wicked Graphix.
Good use of focus (slow-mode)
Health and focus rises after about 10 seconds
Wicked attacks against opponents.
Movie Clips

What's bad about the game?

Easy to complete
You can't be Neo
Health drops too fast

If you've got any good points or bad points please post them.

I say we agree on 5/10.

Chris
Mon 23/06/03 at 21:22
Regular
Okay

5/10 is okay.

But, hah, your name.

It's so poor.
Tue 24/06/03 at 16:03
"I love yo... lamp."
Better than 5/10. I have completed it now.

Next up hard mode.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.