GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GT4"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Gran Turismo 4 (GT4)'.
Sun 25/05/03 at 08:58
Regular
Set to be the biggest game of 2004, me thinks.

200 cars
50 tracks
Better graphics than GT3
Online options

The screen shots are jaw droppingly high quality.
Wed 28/05/03 at 11:14
Regular
Different types of games. I own GT3, NFS, and Burnout. They are all driving games, but are different. GT3 is hyper realistic in controls, audio, and graphics. The dirt tracks are the best in GT3 (for me). Burnout and NFS are arcade type racers - fun, especially in 2P mode. I really like the different game options in NFS - catching the getaway car is great fun, and so is being the getaway car! Burnout is ultra fast needing ultra quick responses.
Wed 28/05/03 at 01:27
Regular
"Wobble"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Turn the music off? No I think I would rather upload my own tracks and
> have some decent music.

I rarely use that feature on my Xbox. It was a nice gimmick originally, but the novelty soon wore off. Ripping CDs seems to take an age - far longer than on my PC - and naming albums and tracks with the on-screen 'keyboard' soon became a chore, so I tend not to bother any more.

> On top of that I have a Dolby Digital system and because GT3 doesn't
> support full Dolby Digital there is only one winner in this department.

GT3 doesn't claim to support Dolby at all, so why comment on it not being "full" support?

That said, the engine sounds in GT3 are the real deal, and while my hi-fi isn't 5.1, it IS over 500 watts, and it rumbles just nicely, thank you! Knock down the gears of a Castrol Tom's Supra as you approach the hairpin on Midfield Raceway, and it sounds far superior to anything I've heard from the synthesised whines of PGR.

And I won't even start about the effects on Special Stage Route 5 Wet as opposed to the p!ss-poor rain effects offered in PGR!

> I play games to escape reality to an extent and with GT3 it just
> doesn't happen.

"Gran Turismo - The Real Driving Simulator"

The clue's in the name, my friend!

> I want games to be fun and GT3 just isn't.

Maybe not to you, but it is to many millions of others, so they're obviously doing something right with it. I'm not saying that sales necessarily make it a better game, but it obviously appeals to a lot of people, so it can't be "no fun".

There's nothing wrong with the racing on PGR, and it's definitely a challenging game. But there simply aren't enough races. Charging around on my own avoiding cones is entertaining for a while, but it isn't what I want from a racing game.

If I really want to escape reality, there are plenty of other titles. For the ultimate in escapist driving, there's Burnout or Ridge Racer. But for a saloon car racing SIMULATOR, there's not much to beat the GT series.

> Once I unlocked one of the F1 cars I went through all the competitions
> that would allow it and enhilated the field by as much as 20 laps.

And you find that surprising WHY exactly? As I said, the clue is in the name. It's a SIMULATOR. Put an F1 car against any of the other cars, and you're going to win. Even the most outrageous catch-up logic would be hard-pushed to make a Yaris a realistic challenge for an F1 car.

I think that ultimately the problem lies not with GT3, but with you. You wanted escapism, but bought a simulator. I'm guessing it's not the brightest purchasing decision you've ever made. If racing games were flight simulators, you bought MS Flight Simulator 2002 when you really wanted Ace Combat 4.
Tue 27/05/03 at 22:33
Regular
Agreed. I can't wait to get my hands of Burnout 2, the game looks brilliant and its about as far away from reality as possible :)
Tue 27/05/03 at 22:25
Regular
In my opinion the more realistic car driving games are the more boring.....
Tue 27/05/03 at 22:24
Regular
Turn the music off? No I think I would rather upload my own tracks and have some decent music. On top of that I have a Dolby Digital system and because GT3 doesn't support full Dolby Digital there is only one winner in this department.

I have actually 100% GT3 unlocking all the custom cars (including about 10 F1 cars) and I can't understand to this day why I spent all that time on it. Project Gotham Racing is fun, it focus'on multiple aspects of racing so you don't get bored easily and there is a LOT to do.

I play games to escape reality to an extent and with GT3 it just doesn't happen. I want games to be fun and GT3 just isn't. I played it to death but after the first few hours I was bored out of my mind. Once I unlocked one of the F1 cars I went through all the competitions that would allow it and enhilated the field by as much as 20 laps. Project Gotham Racing is a lot more challenging and the better cars require much more skill to unlock. The beauty of hearing the Sub rumble as a 355 Modena revs up on the start line is pure gaming heaven. The Ferrari and Porche cars in Project Gotham Racing also carry a lot of credability and unlocking them is VERY rewarding.
Tue 27/05/03 at 20:18
Regular
"Wobble"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> They are more fun, racing isn't the only element and the car
> models are much more detailed in the PGR games.

As the owner of both GT3 and PGR, I can honestly that that's rubbish.

The next PGR looks very promising from the screens I've seen, but the original doesn't compare to GT3 in terms of visuals.

So PGR has drivers too. Whoopee-doo! Irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. I watch the cars, not the drivers. I watch Touring Cars and ASCAR on TV, and you can barely see the drivers in the real thing, so in a game, the silhouette is fine for me.

> and I don't have to listen to the same stupid rock songs from
> bands like Feeder as I entertain myself.

You know you can turn the music OFF don't you? I do in all racing games, as I prefer to hear the engine - I use the sound as a gear-change indicator, so I don't like music playing. I don't even have it turned on during the replays.

The one thing I like the sound of with GT4 is the idea of training your own AI drivers. If they get that right, it could be a major new aspect to racing games.

As for damage - if they put it in, all well and good. If they don't, it's not a problem. PGR has damage (barely) but it doesn't affect the handling, so it's immediately rendered irrelevant.

The reason the GT series has necer included it is all down to licensing. The guy who creates the games (Kazunori Yamauchi) is a car nut, and wants the game to be as real as possible. He also wants as many cars in it as possible. But wanting both causes problems, and it's all down to licensing.

Some manufacturers will not allow their vehicles to be portrayed as damaged. And if you can't damage one brand, you can't damage any of them.

Personally I think that the GT series is big enough now to be choosy. If a manufacturer won't allow their cars to be damaged, then drop them. It will be a bigger loss to them than it will to the game.

But rest assured - Yamauchi is such a stickler for detail that, if and when he includes damage in a GT game, it will most likely be the most realistic damage modelling yet seen in a game.
Regular
"Wobble"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> who wants to do 100 laps around an oval track which requires no skill?

Try telling that to the Indycar drivers!

Though I admit the endurance races do need tweaking.

When you enter a series race on GT3 (such as the World Championships), you can save after each race. Then when you load the game at a later date, you pick up where you left off. You should be able to save during the endurance races and pick it up later.

The other option would be to make them optional - i.e. you don't have to complete them to get 100% completion in the game. Whether you love the endurance races or hate them, not everyone has the time to complete them in one sitting.
Regular
"Wobble"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> If its anything like GT3 then I will be staying well clear as it just
> doesn't compare to Project Gotham Racing.

Thankfully.

I'm still playing GT3, but I gave up on PGR months ago.

I like to race in racing games, not dodge cones. I can take a driving test if I want to do that.
Tue 27/05/03 at 16:02
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I'm God.

Whatever God says is the truth.

I said the truth and settled the arguement.

You were just lucky to have had the same opinion as me and the truth.
Tue 27/05/03 at 13:59
Regular
I don't see how the settles it?! Its what I have been saying all along.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.