GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Zelda GCN Sequel"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/05/03 at 18:33
Regular
Well, a GameCube Zelda sequel has been officially announced to follow on from The Wind Waker (presumably the same Link character) and Nintendo have also released news that the engine will be the same, just like Majora’s Mask was to Ocarina Of Time. This means that the new ‘toon rendering style is making a return, and in my opinion, not a very welcome one.

Now don’t get me wrong – ‘toon rendering is a great technique, and we’ve all seen how well it’s worked in The Wind Waker – but I can’t help feeling that once the novelty has worn off, we won’t all be cheering for Nintendo’s new art. What they did with the graphics – it made TWW unique and it seems to me that that was part of the greatness. With a sequel, it could end up feeling just like an expansion pack.

Part of Ocarina Of Time’s excellence was that you were this warrior/hero guy who wielded a sword and fought evil – a feeling that couldn’t quite be created as well in TWW. I was really hoping for a detailed, realistic and varied world in the next game – but it seems that it is not to be. Ah well, I suppose we got over the fact that MM and Mario Sunshine didn’t quite feel quite as new as their predecessors, and besides, Nintendo may well surprise us.

Ok. Graphical rant over. What I really want to see in the new Zelda is originality on a broader scale – with perhaps a much more different storyline (who wants to banish Ganon *again*?). While TWW was full of innovations (a trend that manages to continue through the series), there’s no denying that it was rather similar to Ocarina Of Time. Somehow. I just can’t put my finger on it at the moment.

So that’s my opinion on the graphics and ideas. Discuss.
Mon 26/05/03 at 19:25
Regular
Actually spend more than 1 minute and play for 1 hour and you'll see how much more detailed it is.
Mon 26/05/03 at 19:24
Regular
"None Stored"
i played ocarina of time and remembered how good it was using detailed graphics, so i know hate the new cartoon stylee graphics
Mon 26/05/03 at 19:10
Regular
Yes, Gamecube 2 should go back to a realistic Zelda.

Stick with the innovative cel shaded Zelda for this generation of console gaming.
Mon 26/05/03 at 19:02
Regular
That's probably right. But with a new console, there should be a new Link and a realistic style. Link should be older, too. It was class as adult Link in Ocarina Of Time.
Mon 26/05/03 at 18:53
Regular
Although I have'nt played Zelda yet.

I believe Nintendo went the right way with using Cel shaded graphics, and should continue so in the sequel to follow the trend that its created.

The sequel would'nt be right if it went back to realistic style graphics.
Mon 26/05/03 at 18:51
Regular
I have no problem with the 'toon rendering - I just reckon bringing back the realism would own, and would give the sequel a much newer feel and a lot more mainstream appeal (if advertised correctly). But if this meant that the gameplay wouldn't be the same as that achieved in the brilliant Wind Waker, as Dringo said, then I suppose I could enjoy the graphical style until the next console.

Wind Waker Gameplay + Realistic and Detailed Graphics x 10 = uber Zelda game.
Mon 26/05/03 at 18:44
Regular
Cel-shaded graphics allow for this immersive world... everything moves... it is incredible. realistic ones wouldn't allow that... in fact you wouldn't move that fast or easily either. The next console may contain the capabilities to render realistic graphics and the awesome feeling of everything being alive...

We'll just have to wait for that... Cel-shaded rules anyway.
Mon 26/05/03 at 18:42
Regular
GTA is basically the same why can't Zelda be?
I love the cel shaded look.
Mon 26/05/03 at 18:39
Regular
That is absurd.

Do you realise how foolish you sound?

Every MGS game has the same reslistic style graphics, as well as Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, GTA etc.

Games in a series always have the same type of graphics, the only exceptions I can think of are Zelda and the new style Joanna Dark.
Mon 26/05/03 at 18:33
Regular
Well, a GameCube Zelda sequel has been officially announced to follow on from The Wind Waker (presumably the same Link character) and Nintendo have also released news that the engine will be the same, just like Majora’s Mask was to Ocarina Of Time. This means that the new ‘toon rendering style is making a return, and in my opinion, not a very welcome one.

Now don’t get me wrong – ‘toon rendering is a great technique, and we’ve all seen how well it’s worked in The Wind Waker – but I can’t help feeling that once the novelty has worn off, we won’t all be cheering for Nintendo’s new art. What they did with the graphics – it made TWW unique and it seems to me that that was part of the greatness. With a sequel, it could end up feeling just like an expansion pack.

Part of Ocarina Of Time’s excellence was that you were this warrior/hero guy who wielded a sword and fought evil – a feeling that couldn’t quite be created as well in TWW. I was really hoping for a detailed, realistic and varied world in the next game – but it seems that it is not to be. Ah well, I suppose we got over the fact that MM and Mario Sunshine didn’t quite feel quite as new as their predecessors, and besides, Nintendo may well surprise us.

Ok. Graphical rant over. What I really want to see in the new Zelda is originality on a broader scale – with perhaps a much more different storyline (who wants to banish Ganon *again*?). While TWW was full of innovations (a trend that manages to continue through the series), there’s no denying that it was rather similar to Ocarina Of Time. Somehow. I just can’t put my finger on it at the moment.

So that’s my opinion on the graphics and ideas. Discuss.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.