GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Zelda GCN Sequel"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/05/03 at 18:33
Regular
Well, a GameCube Zelda sequel has been officially announced to follow on from The Wind Waker (presumably the same Link character) and Nintendo have also released news that the engine will be the same, just like Majora’s Mask was to Ocarina Of Time. This means that the new ‘toon rendering style is making a return, and in my opinion, not a very welcome one.

Now don’t get me wrong – ‘toon rendering is a great technique, and we’ve all seen how well it’s worked in The Wind Waker – but I can’t help feeling that once the novelty has worn off, we won’t all be cheering for Nintendo’s new art. What they did with the graphics – it made TWW unique and it seems to me that that was part of the greatness. With a sequel, it could end up feeling just like an expansion pack.

Part of Ocarina Of Time’s excellence was that you were this warrior/hero guy who wielded a sword and fought evil – a feeling that couldn’t quite be created as well in TWW. I was really hoping for a detailed, realistic and varied world in the next game – but it seems that it is not to be. Ah well, I suppose we got over the fact that MM and Mario Sunshine didn’t quite feel quite as new as their predecessors, and besides, Nintendo may well surprise us.

Ok. Graphical rant over. What I really want to see in the new Zelda is originality on a broader scale – with perhaps a much more different storyline (who wants to banish Ganon *again*?). While TWW was full of innovations (a trend that manages to continue through the series), there’s no denying that it was rather similar to Ocarina Of Time. Somehow. I just can’t put my finger on it at the moment.

So that’s my opinion on the graphics and ideas. Discuss.
Tue 27/05/03 at 23:27
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
lol true that did suck. Lol barbi unleases her ultimate attack *screams like a warrior princess.. hmmm*
Tue 27/05/03 at 23:12
Regular
I remember reading about the second CDi game, in which you played as Zelda - except she wore a pink dress and wielded a sword. Kind of a cross between Barbie and Xena: Warrior Princess but in turn destroying the greatness of the Zelda character for all who played that game.
Tue 27/05/03 at 23:06
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
true true but no messing caus that was where Zelda first entered my life.
Tue 27/05/03 at 22:59
Regular
All CDI games were awful.
Tue 27/05/03 at 22:57
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> Alledgedly, the CDi games were awful?

According to the godly gaming magazine - GamesTM

:D
Tue 27/05/03 at 22:56
Regular
Alledgedly, the CDi games were awful?
Tue 27/05/03 at 22:25
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
kinda though I am a totally different type of Zelda player.. I joined in the Zelda series at The legend of Zelda on the CDI and tht was way back but I have followed the series ever since. The transition to 3D was my own thing to boast about in 3D but that does not take away the fact that you can still make Link in a toon rendered environment look "mighty warrior" with flashy realistic graphics, your comparing Link to another context and style of game. So it sort of confusing to get to two mixed up when your comparing the games.
Tue 27/05/03 at 21:00
Regular
Tony_Blair wrote:
> NO part of OOT excellence WAS the transition of the series ito 3D (aka
> Mario 64) and the fact that it did it SO well.

I joined the Zelda series at Ocarina Of Time - and one of the reasons I enjoyed it was because you got this feeling of being a sword-wielding warrior or hero as you went about your quest. I never played the previous games, but this was still a gameplay element I really enjoyed.

While the new graphics bring new advantages, they just took away that fearsome warrior feel. Yes, you do still act like a hero but.. well.. you must know what I mean?
Tue 27/05/03 at 15:57
Regular
"gsybe you!"
A larger Hyrule world, with a coastline and islands for sailing (but not a whole game world) loads of side quests.

And make it new - new ideas etc, not an advanced evolution.
Tue 27/05/03 at 14:06
Regular
maddmun wrote:
> Hmmm,
>
> Ganondorf's triforce of power makes him Gerudo again, not statue, uses
> triforce to unflood Hrule, Link and Tetra come back to save Hyrule.
>
> One thing bugs me though, there was no wind or earth Sages in OoT, so
> how could they be killed?

Add classic Zelda storline twists and turns and we havea good damn good gameplay plus some classic Nintendo gamepy and we have a game!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.