GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Zelda GCN Sequel"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/05/03 at 18:33
Regular
Well, a GameCube Zelda sequel has been officially announced to follow on from The Wind Waker (presumably the same Link character) and Nintendo have also released news that the engine will be the same, just like Majora’s Mask was to Ocarina Of Time. This means that the new ‘toon rendering style is making a return, and in my opinion, not a very welcome one.

Now don’t get me wrong – ‘toon rendering is a great technique, and we’ve all seen how well it’s worked in The Wind Waker – but I can’t help feeling that once the novelty has worn off, we won’t all be cheering for Nintendo’s new art. What they did with the graphics – it made TWW unique and it seems to me that that was part of the greatness. With a sequel, it could end up feeling just like an expansion pack.

Part of Ocarina Of Time’s excellence was that you were this warrior/hero guy who wielded a sword and fought evil – a feeling that couldn’t quite be created as well in TWW. I was really hoping for a detailed, realistic and varied world in the next game – but it seems that it is not to be. Ah well, I suppose we got over the fact that MM and Mario Sunshine didn’t quite feel quite as new as their predecessors, and besides, Nintendo may well surprise us.

Ok. Graphical rant over. What I really want to see in the new Zelda is originality on a broader scale – with perhaps a much more different storyline (who wants to banish Ganon *again*?). While TWW was full of innovations (a trend that manages to continue through the series), there’s no denying that it was rather similar to Ocarina Of Time. Somehow. I just can’t put my finger on it at the moment.

So that’s my opinion on the graphics and ideas. Discuss.
Tue 27/05/03 at 13:52
Regular
The first time I went outside the castle in Hyrule, and saw the land of Hyrule Toon Rendered, I decided that Nintendo MUST make a game set onland like that.

It looks amazing.
Tue 27/05/03 at 13:44
Regular
"Long time no see!"
First of all, great news! I love The Wind Waker. :)

I agree with you on the part that The Wind Waker was "too-Ocarina of Time", but I don't see how the toon-rendering graphical style is a bad thing.

I can't say I'd honestly prefer it to a super-realistic Zelda game, but it still has done some wonderful things for The Wind Waker - things which other styles could not have done so well -- like "showing" the wind, for example, and some many other animations.

If the graphics are going to be the same, then we can only expect to see a similar style of game - both fun and enjoyable, with lots to see-and-do.

And if you ask me, with the appearence of Tingle, those plants that spit you out, and several other things; The Wind Waker was also quite "Majora's Mask", too.
Tue 27/05/03 at 13:29
Regular
Hmmm,

Ganondorf's triforce of power makes him Gerudo again, not statue, uses triforce to unflood Hrule, Link and Tetra come back to save Hyrule.

One thing bugs me though, there was no wind or earth Sages in OoT, so how could they be killed?
Tue 27/05/03 at 13:25
Regular
I think Nintendo should try using a completely new style likev they did with The WInd Waker.

But what would it be?

1 dimensional games!
Or Not.
Tue 27/05/03 at 11:26
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
her her
Tue 27/05/03 at 10:13
Regular
Wether it's toon rendering or realistic graphics, the new zelda will be great and if it's set after WW and it's on land(yes, I'm tired of the sea)
then Epona will be dead :( Ah, I'm just waiting for Adult Link to make his return...
Tue 27/05/03 at 10:02
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
"Part of Ocarina Of Time’s excellence was that you were this warrior/hero guy who wielded a sword and fought evil – a feeling that couldn’t quite be created as well in TWW. I was really hoping for a detailed, realistic and varied world in the next game – but it seems that it is not to be. Ah well, I suppose we got over the fact that MM and Mario Sunshine didn’t quite feel quite as new as their predecessors, and besides, Nintendo may well surprise us. "

NO part of OOT excellence WAS the transition of the series ito 3D (aka Mario 64) and the fact that it did it SO well.I mean if i wanted a
"warrior/hero guy who wielded a sword and fought evil "
Then I would have stuck with A link to the Past etc..

Good to know that people are now refering to the grpahic style as toon rendering rather than shade.
Tue 27/05/03 at 01:37
Regular
Well in some way i want hyrule back... even if it means going back before the wind waker :P
Tue 27/05/03 at 00:29
Regular
"Under the Wall"
The king's speech at the end of Wind Waker would seem somewhat pap if the series raises Hyrule again.

At least if it's chronologically after WW.
Tue 27/05/03 at 00:14
Regular
I think perhaps start off in the same sailing thingy then raise hyrule or go back to the past or something.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.