GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Zelda GCN Sequel"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/05/03 at 18:33
Regular
Well, a GameCube Zelda sequel has been officially announced to follow on from The Wind Waker (presumably the same Link character) and Nintendo have also released news that the engine will be the same, just like Majora’s Mask was to Ocarina Of Time. This means that the new ‘toon rendering style is making a return, and in my opinion, not a very welcome one.

Now don’t get me wrong – ‘toon rendering is a great technique, and we’ve all seen how well it’s worked in The Wind Waker – but I can’t help feeling that once the novelty has worn off, we won’t all be cheering for Nintendo’s new art. What they did with the graphics – it made TWW unique and it seems to me that that was part of the greatness. With a sequel, it could end up feeling just like an expansion pack.

Part of Ocarina Of Time’s excellence was that you were this warrior/hero guy who wielded a sword and fought evil – a feeling that couldn’t quite be created as well in TWW. I was really hoping for a detailed, realistic and varied world in the next game – but it seems that it is not to be. Ah well, I suppose we got over the fact that MM and Mario Sunshine didn’t quite feel quite as new as their predecessors, and besides, Nintendo may well surprise us.

Ok. Graphical rant over. What I really want to see in the new Zelda is originality on a broader scale – with perhaps a much more different storyline (who wants to banish Ganon *again*?). While TWW was full of innovations (a trend that manages to continue through the series), there’s no denying that it was rather similar to Ocarina Of Time. Somehow. I just can’t put my finger on it at the moment.

So that’s my opinion on the graphics and ideas. Discuss.
Thu 29/05/03 at 15:32
Regular
Just tried the sword fight part against ganon again... took me 10 mins o_O
Thu 29/05/03 at 13:27
Regular
"Long time no see!"
But, according to Game Network, it legally IS GCN - because NGC is already used for something else; something un-game-related.
Thu 29/05/03 at 13:03
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
or... not
Thu 29/05/03 at 13:01
Regular
"aliens exist"
ok can we stop this GCN - ok, its the NGC (nintendo gamecubE) or gamecube, or cube, but not a GCN, it makes you sound like one of those morons from gamenetwork or one of the geeks that text in.
Thu 29/05/03 at 12:27
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I wonder what the chances are of us getting that un-released Legend of Zelda games, where you actually got to PLAY AS ZELDA, on a bonus-disc, along with the "proper" Wind Waker sequel??

After all, it happened with the Ocarina of Time: Master Quest...!

And it's not like "everyone" would rather tire of Majora's Mask, again....
Wed 28/05/03 at 16:58
Regular
I had a few ideas what the new Zelda would be like, still keeping in with the current world. It has a hint of the FFx-Machina thing:-

Men have re-built a sort of metal city above the water, which would give most parts of the new Hyrule an industrial feel. However, this also means that the old Hyrule, under the sea, is trapped, and now thrust into constant darkness. Along with it, all the sea is trapped underneath, and when the water cycle tries to happen it just hits the bottom, meaning that the land is without rain, therefore without water, and now water is scarce around the world, meaning that poorer people are dying of thirst, and the world is without rain as well, due to the water cycle being interrupted, so all the plants are dying and the world is becoming a hot wasteland of metal and dead plants.

A little depressing for a Zelda game, yes, so it won't happen.

Anyway, Link has to set out, to try and seek out the evil businessman (probably Ganondorf in a suit and tie), and try and put a stop to his plans, to bring back the water cycle and restore life to Hyrule.

What do you think? It is a little bleak for a Zelda game, yes, but it's a nice change from the usual blend of just wandering around dungeons fighting evil and trying to kill Ganondorf.

Maybe I'll submit it to Shigsy.
Wed 28/05/03 at 12:12
Regular
Yea, Ganon was good, hitting him with the megaton hammer, but then when you got your master sword back you just knew it was all over.
Wed 28/05/03 at 00:45
Regular
Nah, it was crap.

It was the same old hit his magic back with your sword.

Phantom Gannondorf was better.

Ganon was good though.
Wed 28/05/03 at 00:42
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
§niper wrote:
> Truely great moment in ocarina was running up the stairs in ganon's
> tower but the boss fight was quite dissapointing.

I thought the fight was great, it was very challenging, i dont think i killed him on my first go, i did in Wind Waker.
Wed 28/05/03 at 00:40
Regular
I really liked the battle with ganondorf at the of Wind Waker compared to Ocarina.
The One on One (okay u can say Zelda counts as 2)sword fight with ganon is a brilliant moment and hopefully in the sequel you will have to face someone similar (maybe not ganondorf) but ending up having a PROPER end battle with a sword fight like what i said.
Truely great moment in ocarina was running up the stairs in ganon's tower but the boss fight was quite dissapointing.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.