GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo in deep water"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/05/03 at 21:56
Regular
Nintendo's share price is falling faster than a leaf in autumn. Why? The industry is pointing the finger at the poor sales of the Gamecube, citing all the surplus stock sitting on the warehouse shelves.

Nintendo are a big company, of course, but they are pretty worried about the fairly hefty fall in their company's profits by about 37 percent. Even their usual fallback on the handheld market is now being threatened by Sony's new handheld Playstation, currently being readied for release over the next year, and their Pokemon franchise, which is slowing down of late.

The news is that they want to ditch the Cube and try again, but doing this would drastically affect their company image. This was a company founded on trust, when they took back faulty NES consoles without arguement and replaced them with new ones in Japan it made their sales jump through the roof.

Whatever way they decide to stay afloat, it looks bad for the true gamers who were hoping and believing that there could be room for 3 consoles in the market. E3 showed that some companies are cutting back again on their Gamecube titles, despite earlier efforts from Nintendo to gain support from big players like EA Games. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Page:
Mon 26/05/03 at 23:23
"possibly impossible"
Dringo wrote:
> it rose 7%

But now it's fallen to a record low by 37%. That is why Nintendo are worried and there WAS talk at E3 from 3rd parties keen to get away from too many releases for the machine.

It may be that they are just in a lull, but you can't just ignore it when the market puts a hold on your shares and warns people against them.
Mon 26/05/03 at 23:16
Regular
pb wrote:

> Just putting my devil's advocate hat on, so don't shoot me, but surely
> if someone was going to buy a console because of MGS, then they would
> have bought a PS2 by now?

I think it will intrest people who enjoyed the games on the Playstation and PS2. Much the same as the Resident Evil remake and new games have brought the Cube to people who would have most likely ignored it otherwise.

We'll just have to wait and see. Nintendo certainly won't go the way of Sega, at least in the forseable future they won't.

With the solid releases at the moment and the amazing list of titles coming up around Xmas, things can only get better for Nintendo.

A bit more advertising would certainly be nice though.
Mon 26/05/03 at 23:13
Regular
pb wrote:

>
> My own personal feelings towards the cube are well known, but I don't
> let that get in the way of judging how others see it. With all 3
> consoles (4 if you include the DC, and I do) I can't really complain
> that I'm backing a losing horse, but I don't want to be in a position
> where I can see one machine failing, especially if its a Nintendo
> machine. I went through it with Sega, I don't want to see Nintendo
> follow suit.

Nintendo's shares may be falling but profitability is not. Nintendo continue to make money... unlike SEGA that lost money on the Dreamcast... heavily. And remember... most importantly... SEGA advertised heavily... and it backfired, maybe Nintendo are doing the right thing?
Mon 26/05/03 at 23:12
Regular
You're missing the point pb, yes those who love Metal Gear Solid and buy games based on that series would have a PS2... but the majority of those will get a Gamecube for the Gamecube game... because the Gamecube game isn't being released elsewhere.

Also we have the exclusive connectivity feature with the Sims... and my god does that sell.

Shares drop and go up all the time.. it rose 7% at the announcement of the GBA SP for example... just wait for the 64 bit- Handheld cart bombshell from Nintendo and then watch Nintendo's shares.
Mon 26/05/03 at 23:02
"possibly impossible"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Don't forget Metal Gear Solid.
>
> That should shift a hell of a lot of console on its own.

Just putting my devil's advocate hat on, so don't shoot me, but surely if someone was going to buy a console because of MGS, then they would have bought a PS2 by now?

Nintendo consoles will continue selling and to be fair, their adverts for zelda are pretty memorable, but they are selling to what I call 'proper' gamers, people in the street just seem confused and want someone else to make the choice for them.

My own personal feelings towards the cube are well known, but I don't let that get in the way of judging how others see it. With all 3 consoles (4 if you include the DC, and I do) I can't really complain that I'm backing a losing horse, but I don't want to be in a position where I can see one machine failing, especially if its a Nintendo machine. I went through it with Sega, I don't want to see Nintendo follow suit.
Mon 26/05/03 at 23:01
Regular
How much money did Ninty get for selling their stake in RARE?
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:55
Regular
Don't forget Metal Gear Solid.

That should shift a hell of a lot of console on its own.
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:52
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> That's mainly because of al the bundles and price uts they've had.
>
> I don't understand why Nintendo don't cut the price of Cube a bit.
> £100 for a Cube and game of your choice would surely be the way
> to go.

Oh they will... the longer they last without doing that... the better.
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:52
Regular
Nintendo's sales have dropped due to the announcement of the Pocket Playstation and the drop in predicted sales of the Gamecube.

Of Course by Christmas Nintendo pocess the killer aps to trounce the opposition. Rumour has it all round money maker GTA won't reach shelves in time for christmas. With every EA game appearing on Cube, Final Fantasy, F Zero, Mario Kart, Viewtiful Joe and Code Veronica all due for a Christmas release... it looks likely there won't be a repeat of last Christmas and sales will shoot up yet again.
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:49
Regular
Oh i've seen alot of ps2... x box ads..not really
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.