GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo in deep water"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/05/03 at 21:56
Regular
Nintendo's share price is falling faster than a leaf in autumn. Why? The industry is pointing the finger at the poor sales of the Gamecube, citing all the surplus stock sitting on the warehouse shelves.

Nintendo are a big company, of course, but they are pretty worried about the fairly hefty fall in their company's profits by about 37 percent. Even their usual fallback on the handheld market is now being threatened by Sony's new handheld Playstation, currently being readied for release over the next year, and their Pokemon franchise, which is slowing down of late.

The news is that they want to ditch the Cube and try again, but doing this would drastically affect their company image. This was a company founded on trust, when they took back faulty NES consoles without arguement and replaced them with new ones in Japan it made their sales jump through the roof.

Whatever way they decide to stay afloat, it looks bad for the true gamers who were hoping and believing that there could be room for 3 consoles in the market. E3 showed that some companies are cutting back again on their Gamecube titles, despite earlier efforts from Nintendo to gain support from big players like EA Games. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Page:
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:47
Regular
That's mainly because of al the bundles and price uts they've had.

I don't understand why Nintendo don't cut the price of Cube a bit. £100 for a Cube and game of your choice would surely be the way to go.
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:42
Regular
Thats shocking when you think about it. Microsoft doesn't market the Xbox that much over here to be honest but sales are picking up for them.
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:35
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
People in general are too lazy to look nowadays.

If they have a PS2 with either GTA3 or Vice City in their house, usually nothing else matters.
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:35
"possibly impossible"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Nintendo's biggest problem is marketing. However having said that it
> doesn't stop me from fining out what games are being released when so
> why should it stop other people?

Because the average casual gamer is

a) lazy
b) too easily pursuaded to go with the crowd.
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:34
Regular
Nintendo's biggest problem is marketing. However having said that it doesn't stop me from fining out what games are being released when so why should it stop other people?
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:32
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
pb wrote:
> Gamecube also lacks decent offerings in the racing department at
> present. Even Xbox is suffering, but PC heads seem to have taken a
> shine to it.

---

I agree. There have been around 5-10 racing games in total (about 2 or 3 good) released on the Gamecube since it's been on sale. And to be quite honest, that's just not good enough.

Hopefully with the release of Burnout 2 fairly recently and Mario Kart: Double Dash and F-Zero GX fast approaching, people will realise that the Gamecube is no longer suffering with no real racing titles and will perhaps even give the Gamecube a chance. Fat chance of this happening, but a few good racing games will help. A bit.
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:31
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Pb hits the nail right on the head.

The gamecube is at a price that it could and does appeal to those who own other consoles but it dosn't sell itself enough.

No clever adverts, marketing strategies etc.
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:30
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
I can't understand what more a gamer in the
> modern market would want?!

Guns and b*tches.

Most gamers are looking for pick up and play value and that's something the majority of Ninty's 1st party releases don't have. The majority of the tards who buy things like the Getaway, haven't got the metal capacity or the attention span to actually sit down an properly play games. They just want quick thrills and that's what half the mediocre/crap games on PS2 give them.

Please note that I'm not saying that all PS2 games are mediocre crap, but when things like Primal and The Getaway manage to get into the charts and in th case of the Getaway, stay there for absoloutly months, I think it speaks for itself.

Nintendo won't dump the Cube, it's all just rumours made up by industry fools who like to see the negative in everything.
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:30
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
It's kind of sad that the people who are running companies like Nintendo into the ground aren't even 'real' gamers, all they're interested in its having the latest FIFA and GTA updates, and generally owning what's 'cool' to own.
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:29
Regular
Ok maybe Metroid is more for the hardcore gamer but Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Zelda: Wind Waker, Resident Evil, Super Monkey Ball amongst others are universally liked by almost any gamer who enjoys a great game. There are casual games mixed in with more hardcore titles on every console that has ever been released. However from the experience of owning almost every console ever made I can honestly say that the GameCube has the widest choice of genres compared with any other console over the years.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.