GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo in deep water"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/05/03 at 21:56
Regular
Nintendo's share price is falling faster than a leaf in autumn. Why? The industry is pointing the finger at the poor sales of the Gamecube, citing all the surplus stock sitting on the warehouse shelves.

Nintendo are a big company, of course, but they are pretty worried about the fairly hefty fall in their company's profits by about 37 percent. Even their usual fallback on the handheld market is now being threatened by Sony's new handheld Playstation, currently being readied for release over the next year, and their Pokemon franchise, which is slowing down of late.

The news is that they want to ditch the Cube and try again, but doing this would drastically affect their company image. This was a company founded on trust, when they took back faulty NES consoles without arguement and replaced them with new ones in Japan it made their sales jump through the roof.

Whatever way they decide to stay afloat, it looks bad for the true gamers who were hoping and believing that there could be room for 3 consoles in the market. E3 showed that some companies are cutting back again on their Gamecube titles, despite earlier efforts from Nintendo to gain support from big players like EA Games. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Page:
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:27
"possibly impossible"
Yes, but the general public have heard less of these games and more of GTA3 and Vice City and other games that Sony push. It's not to do with the quality, Nintendo would win outright if that were the case, it's marketing to the masses.

Nintendo has always appealled to the true gamers, those that have gaming running through their veins, but the fair-weathered casual gamer just wants film tie-ins and big named adult titles. Resident Evil was a plus for Nintendo, but the problem is that it had already had its market peak with the PS1 and early with the PS2.

Gamecube also lacks decent offerings in the racing department at present. Even Xbox is suffering, but PC heads seem to have taken a shine to it.
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:27
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Yeah, that's the thing.

Super Monkey Ball, Pikmin, Super Mario Sunshine, Animal Crossing.

Each of those (in my opinion) are brilliant games, but none of them have been given even half the recognition they deserve. The public in general dismiss them as "kiddie gamez", before proceeding to play GTA because it's got guns and violence.

And this, although saddening, is something that Nintendo really need to pick up on if they want to be successful.
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:24
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Yeah but do those games appeal to everyone...

I'm happy with the gamecube and the handful of games that I have (Zelda, Rocky, Monkey Ball etc)
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:22
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
CDouch wrote:
> This Metal Gear game they have on it's way and good ol' Mario Kart
> should help with sales a tad. I'm buying one almost purely based on
> the fact that I want these two games.

---

Three games.

MGS: Twin Snakes is two games.

Hurrah! :-)
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:20
Regular
Release the right kind of games? What kind of games do you want? Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil, what more could you hoenstly want? As a console it has the widest range of genres available and I can't understand what more a gamer in the modern market would want?!
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:20
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
This Metal Gear game they have on it's way and good ol' Mario Kart should help with sales a tad. I'm buying one almost purely based on the fact that I want these two games.
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:14
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
The PS2 came out about a year before the Gamecube and sold loads and loads of units. There have been some great titles but yes, I'll admit at the moment there has been a lack of must have games. Hopefully once the on-line network kicks off then that will change.

The gamecube on the other hand in my view is also a good console but there hasn't been that many great games that appeal to me. Sure a lot of you on here will argue that there are loads of great games that suit your views on good games that you must own.

But to ordinary Joe Public who makes up probably the majority of sales there maybe isn't as many great games as they would like to go out and buy the console.

Things should pick up if Nintendo release the right kind of games, hopefully for those of us who care about the games and not the name of the console we play on..
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:13
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
If Nintendo ever do find that the Cube needs a boost cut £30 off the consoles RRP and watch it fly off the shelves.
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:12
"possibly impossible"
But although this is only speculation, it comes from Reuters news sources and seems like an option, though one that wouldn't be taken lightly.

Still, I wouldn't want to see this happen, the Cube has so much going for it.
Mon 26/05/03 at 22:08
Regular
Ditch the Cube? Thats absolutle rubbish. Nintendo would not ditch the Cube and try to repair their so called "tainted" reputation. The GameCube is a fantastic console and there is no way that they would stop production of it. With the likes of Geist, Mario 128, 1080 Avalanche, New Zelda, Mario Kart + More. This is just talk which spreads and it won't be true. Sony manage to scrape along with the PS2 releasing mediocre titles yet the GC manages to release a better set of titles in a much shorter period yet the GC seems to be the one under the scrutiny. It doesn't make sense.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.