GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Goodbye Nintendo."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/05/03 at 15:37
Regular
Nintendo have made such bad errors of marketing in the past two years that in the next few months its going to hit them hard. The death of the Gamecube will be at the end of this year; after the swan song of Mario Kart. It won't last any longer and fans who believe what Nintendo said about a six year lifetime for the GameCube were merely cheating themselves.

Nintendo are the company I have enjoyed products from since I was three years old. I thank Nintendo for creating games which allowed me to escape from the years of personal crap I have had to deal with. I really support the GameCube and personally favour it from the surrounding rival hardware yet nobody but Nintendo can be blamed for allowing the GameCube to fail in the way it has done.

Even a killer game like Zelda desperately tried to push hardware sales but two weeks after its release the hardware sales went back to the low levels of March. Its desperation times for Nintendo as their shares are taking hits and profit margins are diving without a care.

There is no doubt in my mind. Nintendo are the God's of gaming. They however are NOT the God's of marketing and sales. The lack of software stock in shops in Europe, the lack of any marketing and the stubborn 'we have our fans' cries will no doubt summon the end of The Big N.

Yet where can I see them falling to from here? A place I never thought I'd see them. Nintendo won't leave gaming, if the worst games does really come to the worst they'll be brought out by a rival company. However that really is looking at death's door. I feel Nintendo will go the route of Sega, and move into software development only. I also feel that Sega could easily make a hardware comeback if they seriously planned everything to a tee. The GameBoy may be Nintendo's greatest asset, yet against the marketing strength of the vertically intergrated Sony I very much doubt Nintendo will 'bother' too much in competing strongly against it. Yes Nintendo will release another GameBoy but I fear the next will be the last 'great' one.

To be honest, I really couldn't care anymore. Gaming has taken a nose dive since the 16-bit era. Companies are developing for the idiots that walk the street thinking anything made by EA is going to be great. Microsoft have entered the market in a bid again to yet dominate another part of the world. I am personally looking forward to the Microsoft film studios opening up or when Microsoft actually buy the American whitehouse.

In Europe we have always been treated like dirt in the gaming world. What Nintendo didn't realise is that although we aren't the biggest gaming nation and we don't buy the most. We are probably the most significant to the effects elsewhere. Oh? I hear that Holland have sold out of Gamecubes and that Germany love the GameCube too. Yet thats like buying Old Kent Road when playing monopoly and thinking you've won.

Sadly. Although I hate to say it, its going to take a huge amount of balls from Nintendo to pull themselves up from this dying defeat. Balls which I don't think they have.

I'll miss you when your gone Big N.
I'll still have my memories.
Its your own fault you stupid idiots.
Tue 10/06/03 at 23:19
Regular
I personally don't judge games until I've played them. Therefore, I have no confidence (ok, maybe some in Nintendo, but I've always been a fan of them) in games companies.

I do admit that Rare make some fantastic games, Donkey Kong Country on the Game Boy Advance is one of them, but there's nothing to say that their next release is going to be great - except for assumptions based upon an N64 classic.
Tue 10/06/03 at 18:01
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Few things. Rare cost Microsoft £375 million. Nintendo only
> owned around 25 % of Rare. Most of the money went to the Stamper
> Brothers.

No. Nintendo got most of it.
Tue 10/06/03 at 14:16
Regular
"8==="
As long as the keep the Perfect Dark/Goldeneye engine going I'm not fussed what cover they put on it.
Tue 10/06/03 at 12:44
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
So you have an Xbox?? you said it in a way that you don't have one, it seems you have no confidence in RARE at all. It will hopefully be SUPERB as they have been given alot of time on it. Also the look of Joanna could of changed for all we know. Take Zelda for example: One minute it was realistic graphics and then it changed too cel-shading, could it be the other way round for Perfect Dark Zero???????
Tue 10/06/03 at 12:30
Regular
"everyone says it"
Goatboy wrote:
> er-no wrote:
> The death of
> the Gamecube will be at the end of this year; after the swan song of
> Mario Kart
> ---
>
> Amusing that I've been saying this and yet some people have been most
> vocal in arguing the point.

Ah buts its expected from you.
Tue 10/06/03 at 09:45
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
er-no wrote:
The death of
> the Gamecube will be at the end of this year; after the swan song of
> Mario Kart
---

Amusing that I've been saying this and yet some people have been most vocal in arguing the point.
Tue 10/06/03 at 08:10
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:

>
> Sure Perfect Dark Zero could be crap. But seriously, Rare just simply
> do not do bad games. It will be brilliant.

Starfox Adventures
DK 64
Tue 10/06/03 at 07:01
Regular
"8==="
Perfect Dark will be so good it will be defined as a new element.

That is all.
Tue 10/06/03 at 06:35
"I love yo... lamp."
Few things. Rare cost Microsoft £375 million. Nintendo only owned around 25 % of Rare. Most of the money went to the Stamper Brothers.

Sure Perfect Dark Zero could be crap. But seriously, Rare just simply do not do bad games. It will be brilliant.
Tue 10/06/03 at 01:17
Regular
"everyone says it"
m.o.t wrote:
> Yeah and i hope Perfect Dark Zero is crap for your sake, otherwise
> your going to miss out on something superb Nintendo could of have!!!

Nah, I'll buy it on my XBox if it is good.

They are killing Dark's image though, she was fine and doesn't need to go anime.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.