GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I've got Socom"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'SOCOM: US Navy Seals'.
Wed 11/06/03 at 09:49
Regular
It arrived this morning, sadly no TMB online + adapter yet but I am not bothered. I have just com[;eted the firstlevel on Socom with overall grade of D. I love tapping circlethen team then regroup.

I ordered the cables for the adapter last night, got next day delivery, so hopefully, and I mean hopefully it will get shipped today and arrive tomorow with TMB Online + adapter.

Socom is amazing in single player.

FantasyMeister is there a friends list?
Wed 11/06/03 at 16:00
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Col, your setup is almost the same as mine so you should have no bother.. but yeah, fingers crossed!
Wed 11/06/03 at 15:56
" Crazy!"
I havn't got either the adapter or the kit yet, but I'm expecting the adapter tomorow and the cables by Friday (if I'm lucky). I pray it shall setup easily.
Wed 11/06/03 at 15:38
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Simply put, your 'server' PC should be giving the same IP address to whichever device is attached to it's one ethernet port (no matter if it's the second PC or the PS2). This is what is meant by a DHCP server.

If ICS is working with the PC then it's definitely your PS2 settings that are wrong. The PS2 doesn't need to know what IP address it's been given - you will need to know that later on for port-mapping, but we've not got that far yet.

If you can get the IP address of the server PC then you can enter this in the PS2 network settings as the 'default gateway'. Basically you are setting it up as if your PC was a router. I don't think you *have* to do this, but it won't matter if you do.

You know I'm talking about the network settings option, to the right of central station on the NA disc main menu, right?
Wed 11/06/03 at 15:30
Regular
"  "
Darwock wrote:
> I'm at work, don't have it in front of me so I can't really remember.
> But delete your network settings and start all over again. I think
> there's a list where you select your provider from a common list?
> Don't pick NTL, pick 'other' or 'provide my own settings' or whatever
> it is.
>
> Then go through the list of questions, and whenever there is an option
> to have something done automatically, take it.
>
> If you are using ICS try and check which IP address the computer is
> allocating to the PS2. You'll need that eventually I reckon.

Well, I use ICS to connect my PC1 to my PC2. It works fine on my PC2. SO what I did was take my PC2 out of the network socket, then connect my PS2 using a crossover to this socket. So do you think that it could be that my PC1 is only allowing sharing to PC2, and doesn't actually have a IP for PS2 set up?
Wed 11/06/03 at 15:26
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I'm at work, don't have it in front of me so I can't really remember. But delete your network settings and start all over again. I think there's a list where you select your provider from a common list? Don't pick NTL, pick 'other' or 'provide my own settings' or whatever it is.

Then go through the list of questions, and whenever there is an option to have something done automatically, take it.

If you are using ICS try and check which IP address the computer is allocating to the PS2. You'll need that eventually I reckon.
Wed 11/06/03 at 15:21
Regular
"  "
Darwock wrote:
> No that's not your problem. That would only matter for a direct
> connection. Have you tried changing the set up yet? I'm getting more
> certain that's what it is....

I'm really sorry if I'm sounding stupid here, but where is it I change these options, and what do I change them to. Sorry for taking your time...
Wed 11/06/03 at 15:12
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
*Glad I didn't take the ICS option and went for a router instead*

:P
Wed 11/06/03 at 15:10
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
No that's not your problem. That would only matter for a direct connection. Have you tried changing the set up yet? I'm getting more certain that's what it is....
Wed 11/06/03 at 15:08
Regular
"as tha nowt moist?"
try what it suggests and you will see if it is
Wed 11/06/03 at 15:04
Regular
"  "
Nicked from... can't remember...

Most cable ISPs limit the number of network devices which can use the modem to access the Internet (usually the limit is for only one device). Since network connections are actually transient (the computer uses the network one moment, then stops using it, then starts again, etc.) it needs a better way to track the number of computers.

This tracking mechanism uses the network card's MAC address. This is a physical address which is programmed into the network card by the manufacturer (every network card has a unique address). The Internet provider programs the cable modem to limit the number of MAC addresses which can be recognized (typically this limit is set to just one).

When the cable modem is powered on, the first network device which attempts to use it "recognized" and its MAC address is then "locked" into the modem. This is called a MAC lock. From this moment on, the cable modem will refuse to recognize any other network device (if your cable provider allows you to have two IP addresses, then the first two devices which use the modem will be recognized, etc.).

If you had been using your home computer to access the Internet, but want to attach the network cable to the PS2 for a while, you must clear the MAC lock. This is easy to do. Simply unplug the power cord from the cable modem, wait about a minute (this clears the MAC lock), then plug it back in. You can now begin using your PS2.

It is important that you actually unplug the power cord from the cable modem. If your modem has a power button, do not use it. This does not completely power off the modem, but merely puts it into a "sleep" state and the MAC lock will still be retained.

In some situations the cable Internet provider may actually require that the devices which will be connected to the cable modem be registered. This involves finding the MAC address of your Network Adaptor, then calling your cable provider to register it (note that many providers do not require this). This is a security measure to ensure that only devices belonging to legitimate customers are able to connect to the network. The registration process does not involve any costs or fees.

Could this be my problem?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.