GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Sony are number 1"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 27/06/03 at 13:18
Regular
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/primal/news_6030684.html

Sony to sponsor Ozzfest 2003.
It's things like this, and sponsoring skate tournaments and various other Gen X events that promote the brand, encourage sales and increase loyalty.
Capturing the market with disposable income and a love for video games.

And, this isn't a knock on Nintendo, but that's why Nintendo are forever stuck as "kiddy" and lack the sorts of sales in Europe that Sony do. Because they dont market themselves very well.
Fri 27/06/03 at 15:14
But wider doesn't really matter. Taller does however, as at times it can't fit in a TV cabinet.
Fri 27/06/03 at 15:12
Regular
"8==="
It's less wide and it has a handle. It's design means more can be fitted on a shop shelf, which looks impressive.
Fri 27/06/03 at 15:10
Practical in what way?
Fri 27/06/03 at 15:06
Regular
"8==="
N64 was nice. Cube is practical and portable.
Fri 27/06/03 at 15:05
Yeah, I always thought the N64 looked really cool, all curvy and sharp and stuff.
Fri 27/06/03 at 15:02
Regular
"8==="
The Cube actually looks more fisher-price than the N64. I don't know about the colour....

My friend took the cover off his ps1 and sprayed it black.
Fri 27/06/03 at 14:59
You know what?

Nintendo would lose a hell of a lot of that kiddy image IF THEY DITCHED THE COLOUR PURPLE. Think about it.
Fri 27/06/03 at 14:57
Regular
"8==="
I expect for the big titles like F-zero and Mario Kart you'll see some ads.
Although both will sell well by word of mouth of alone.
Fri 27/06/03 at 14:56
Regular
"8==="
Nintendo did plug the consoles launch well at least. I still have the music for the ads on mp3.
Fri 27/06/03 at 14:52
"I love yo... lamp."
Sony have got the marketing spot on. Everyone on here agrees that marketing is a large part of why Sony have been so successful.

But Nintendo don't read here. They refuse to listen to the fans and customers. And that is why they are no longer as big a player as they used to be.

Microsoft knew that the key to winning market share was advertising. And they have done that. They sponsored something like the Warped Tour in the USA (it might not have been that but something similar).

Recently there was a spate of GBA SP adverts on bus shelters. That is how you do it. Not a very rare advert on telly when you have a new Zelda game. Constant bombardment of the brand is the key to sales.

Guess we will just have to wait untill the next gen to see if any lessons have been learned and if anyone can give Sony a run for their money.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.