GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Sony are number 1"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 27/06/03 at 13:18
Regular
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/primal/news_6030684.html

Sony to sponsor Ozzfest 2003.
It's things like this, and sponsoring skate tournaments and various other Gen X events that promote the brand, encourage sales and increase loyalty.
Capturing the market with disposable income and a love for video games.

And, this isn't a knock on Nintendo, but that's why Nintendo are forever stuck as "kiddy" and lack the sorts of sales in Europe that Sony do. Because they dont market themselves very well.
Sat 28/06/03 at 22:48
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Strange, could have sworn there hasn't been a decent quality game on
> the PS2 since......Splinter Cell and that was way back in March.
> Certainly hasn't been a quality exclusive title on the console for a
> hell of a long time.
>
> It's not about quality with Ps2, it's about quantity of crap games and
> advertising.

Exactly. I never mentioned quality of the games did I ? :) Through it's marketing and targeting of certain kinds of people the odds are that most of the owners of a PS2 buy on word of mouth, marketing and not any sort of review. Hence, as Primal showed, a bad game can sell well on the console.

Sony, who were hailed for trying to bring gaming mainstream, are coming close to killing off what it was and turning it into something else.

Seriously, I hope that the next round of consoles sees Sony take a devastating loss somehow, maybe then they'll do quality more than crap.
Sat 28/06/03 at 22:44
Regular
Practical Magic wrote:
> whereas Sony get out a pile of games in
> a near constant stream.

Strange, could have sworn there hasn't been a decent quality game on the PS2 since......Splinter Cell and that was way back in March. Certainly hasn't been a quality exclusive title on the console for a hell of a long time.

It's not about quality with Ps2, it's about quantity of crap games and advertising.
Sat 28/06/03 at 22:34
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Dringo wrote:
> Nintendo are getting there... slowly but they're getting there.
>
> As more adult Nintendo games make it as big as their major titles
> they'll soon sell well enough to compete with Sony...

Combined with the post you made in the Xbox Forum about a possible Nintendo and Microsoft merger, I have to ask (or wonder) if you're seeking medical help for this hopeless and quite insane belief that Nintendo could ever ever compete with Sony this time around.

You say Nintendo are getting there slowly, but I'd argue that they're at a full stop right now. Both the Gamecube and Xbox seems to have fits and starts of good games, whereas Sony get out a pile of games in a near constant stream.

Looking at the current releases, I can honestly say I will not be buying a new game now for either of my consoles until September.
Sat 28/06/03 at 22:17
Regular
"^_^"
I thought the main post was going to be that "Sony are Number One because they abduct children and force their parents to buy 3 PS2's in order to have them back. When the 3 PS2's are bought then the child will be posted back to the In a box of Cheesy Wotsits!"

Maybe not...
Sat 28/06/03 at 21:39
Regular
"smile, it's free"
When Sony entered the game market, they already had a sizeable reputation for electronics products, which they used to their advantage. If you look at their advertising, with the exception of a few TV commercials, the underlying theme is "Sony = Cool", and then occaionally "Here's a games console we're selling.".

With Nintendo, the message is simply "This is a great console with great games."

And Sony win.

Ten years ago, the uninformed would refer to a games console as a 'Nintendo'. Now they'll refer to it as a 'Playstation'.
Sat 28/06/03 at 21:15
Regular
gamezfreak wrote:

> Oh and Xbox is sponsoring the Robbie Williams tour..

Oh, I didn't realise the Xbox's primary market was 14 year old girls.
Sat 28/06/03 at 21:00
Regular
The reason that Sony are number one is no other reason than the fatc that Xbox and Gamecube are 'geeky' games consoles and PS2 is almost a fashion accesory.
Sat 28/06/03 at 15:03
Regular
"8==="
Don't amke me use them! I will!

*cackles like a fiend*
Sat 28/06/03 at 12:56
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> gerrid wrote:
> Goatboy wrote:
> I've
> done it here as part of my work, introducing buzz words and
> catchphrases until they've attained common usage.
> "Muuuuuh"
> "Gaycube"
> "Nintardo"
> "*fap fap fap fap fap fap*" etc, nonsense words that now
> are
> used as part of the everyday lexicon here and may spread into common
> usage outside as well.
>
> And they must have taken you ages :D
>
> look: Bletch
> Xsux
> SAMeY
>
> Made in less than 20 seconds. You get my point.

Errr, no. His words have actual meaning, and can be (when used in the right context)(oo ark at me talking all posh) really funny. Yours are just retarded.

Hang your head in shame.

*looks back over the rest of the thread*
Heh, I love it when threads like this turn into "sonee suk nin10dow rnt 4 kidz!!!11"
Sat 28/06/03 at 12:14
Regular
Nintendo are getting there... slowly but they're getting there.

As more adult Nintendo games make it as big as their major titles they'll soon sell well enough to compete with Sony...

The PSP could be the downfall for either Sony or Nintendo.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.