GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tomb raider owners, your attention!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 04/07/03 at 13:58
Regular
It has come to my attention that some of the puzzles are trickier than others, and there are multiple ways to complete each (some of which dont involve loosing £800! So, i thought if i set up this thread people can ask about puzzles, tell of how they solved them and also we could see how many people moan about the game.
Tue 15/07/03 at 00:28
Regular
Jive - I always save a second game just in case!! I update it when I think of it because you never know when it may come in handy.
Tue 15/07/03 at 09:09
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
larafan wrote:
> Jive - I always save a second game just in case!!

Yeah I know what you mean, thing is I've never done this before, usually pay attention to what I'm doing but I think it was the heat that caused my lack in concentration.

Still I've got all the way through to there in about an hour and a half plus I've also got out of the Ghetto and am now at the underground tunnels of the Louvre.

Is it possible to get back to the Ghettos later, I'm sure there's some parts that I've missed :(
Tue 15/07/03 at 19:37
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Ok, help please.

The Louvre underground tunnels, need to turn on 6 big taps, have found 4 but am missing 2, anyone got any hints?

I've found the 2 on the bottom level, found the 1 next level up by walking through the water and then also the next the level up by climbing across the rope/wire but now I'm stuck :-/
Tue 15/07/03 at 20:11
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Sussed it, sorry :)
Tue 15/07/03 at 22:35
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
Even though you sussed it, i'll tell you
That huge hole in the middle of the room, swim all the way down it and back up into another room.

The next bit is cool with the oil. I sussed it straight away but my dad thought he could go up for air, LOL!
Tue 15/07/03 at 22:49
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Many thanks Mandatare :)

You were absolutely spot on with that and the next bit as well.

Perhaps you can help me on the next problem, the hole above the mona lisa, how the feck do you get into it?
Tue 15/07/03 at 23:04
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
I don't play it that often, only when i'm round my fathers so i'm just past the oil bit. Can't help you out i'm afraid

*runs back to Gran Turismo*
Wed 16/07/03 at 01:58
Regular
I just finished AOD yesterday and i have to say that I am VERY disappointed!! It was so short and not very difficult. I usually have to go online and find a couple of cheats to help me out, but not so with AOD. Was anyone else as disappointed as I was??
Wed 16/07/03 at 09:37
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
I'm nowhere near finishing as I'm not playing it as much as I could but there are a few niggly things that have been bugging me since the start.

. supposed to be a brand new game engine, hmm correct me if I'm wrong but it seems exactly the same as previous games, yes I appreciate all the moves are the same etc .... walk up to a door to open it, she takes 3 sidesteps to left or right to reach the handle WTF, same as last games. Picking up items is exactly the same.....

. AI of guards (Louvre) is appaling, sorry but my grandma (90 this year) would put up a better fight against Lara!

. puzzles, someone mentioned that they were different to previous games, ie not pulling levers and moving boxes etc etc ..... nope this is the case!

. level size before loading is terrible as well, think of Vice City and the size of one island and think how much data has to be loaded, then think of the amount of data for one level of TR before you get 'fade to black screen while part of level loads' not impressed.

I'm sure there's more .... oh yeah almost forgot, where or why have CORE taken the double guns out, this is a classic piece of Lara and to leave it out in my opinion is just being downright lazy.

Still I might change my views by the end of the game but probably not.
Wed 16/07/03 at 12:49
"High polygon count"
I wasn't disappointed by it at all, but I agree with the points Jive has made.

The PS1 games loaded MASSIVE levels all in one go, and AOD seems to load almost every time you go through a door.

Some individual rooms in earlier games seemed to be colossal, but there was none of that in AOD. It was quite claustraphobic compared to earlier games.

Also in previous games there were a number of difficult Boss characters at various points, and they were sadly lacking in AOD. For example...

*** POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT ***

When you're approaching Eckhardt's lab, you enter a large room with a huge statue in it. Based on previous TR games, I expected this to come to life, and that Lara have to fight it.

But no, the floor collapses, taking the statue with it, and you just need to run a gauntlet of collapsing ledges.

In fact, the only real Boss battle that presented any real difficulty was taking on Boaz while playing as Kurtis. Even the final battle against Eckhardt was almost ridiculously easy, once I worked out how not to get hit AT ALL!

*** END OF POSSIBLE SPOILER ***

But having said that, this *is* only the first third of the story, and I did still find it highy enjoyable over all.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.