GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"9/11 game"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/07/03 at 14:51
Regular
someones making a 9/11 game, which is pretty sick, but check out
www.spong.com for news
Sun 10/08/03 at 13:18
Regular
Curse our vicious intelligent minds!
Sun 10/08/03 at 09:25
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
On the other hand, much of the technology in our own houses and that we use is derived from past conflicts and disasters.

The internet ? Originally a communication system that would survive a nuclear war. Computers ? Partly traced back to the race for the atom bomb. LCD screens in military hardware. Processors ? Military hardware. Satellite TV - military hardware. Even things like ready meals, microwaves, passenger planes, ships, all lies back in some conflict or disaster.
Sun 10/08/03 at 00:45
Regular
"A man with a stick"
It's not actually a game, it's a mod which means it's free to download just so long as you have a certain game to play it on. You don't pay for anything (unless a developer comes along and decides to publish it like Counter-Strike) so no money will be made on it.

And I don't think it's in bad taste either, it's not as if the game puts you behind the controls of a 757 and you have to destroy the trade towers, it's simply a game about survival that just so happens to be set on the events of sept 11th.

What would be interesting though is if it would have generated this much fuss had it been set in a anonymous city in an unknown building. Probably would, but not as much as it has been.
Sat 09/08/03 at 20:58
Regular
It is not possible to "insulate" yourself from the real situations of today when you walk out of your door and see the big hole in the skyline of NYC. What I am saying is i get more than enough reality from REALITY. I play to forget reality. And yes, I agree there are plenty of games out there that are as good as a great novel..my favorite being FFX...one of the most beautiful stories I have ever encountered. I do not feel limited in the games I play, I simply have too much respect for the feelings and memories of others to put money in the pockets
of a game maker who bases a game on the terror or sorrow of fellow human beings.
Sat 09/08/03 at 20:00
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
The trick is to not let the CPU players get to the missile shield stage...:)

pyramid, whilst I respect your beliefs it seems to me like your insulating yourself from the very real situations the world contains today. We'll never understand them, how they began, or how we can end them if awareness of them is not spread and people don't get engaged in debate about them. If there was no 9/11 mod then this whole debate here would never have happened, and people will have thought about things differently because of this one topic.

For instance, playing Black Hawk Down really does give a remotest of ideas as to the situation the troops found themselves in on that mission. You have rocks being thrown at you, Somali's running behind civilians, you're outnumbered, the maps aren't correct, darkness falls and you can't clearly make out you path to safety, ammo is running low...you get the picture. Vietcong, likewise, conveys a small sense of the situation that such troops would be in. Even Rise Of Nations ultimately shows the player that warfare is destructive for all involved. Vice City's message is clear - whatever you do the law gets you eventually. Even games like Raven Shield can give educational insights, and the most abstract of games have messages within them, like Halo does.

Look behind the gunfire and blood and many games contain more insights and ideas than a good novel. Not all, but some.

Ultimately, the culture which created the conflicts of today, the West - including America, is the one which recreates them in digital, and maybe in doing so play a small part in ending them.
Sat 09/08/03 at 19:47
Regular
i also have to say that i love the sniper ability on the scouts. the way the scope icon circles until it targets, then POW!

and why on earth can you get a commando with a rifle in the enlightenment age?
Sat 09/08/03 at 19:45
Regular
Goddess Belldandy wrote:
> Heh, in Rise OF Nations I'd make Saddam proud - fave tactic, as I've
> mentioned in the PC forum, is to build a pile of nuclear weapons,
> about 15, declare war on the CPU player, pause, target the nukes on
> every city (use special forces to find them, or sucide fighter
> flights) and sit back. Have a pile of tanks/infantry waiting on his
> border and the mop up begins.
>
> Ahem.

now i've never actually thought of that. nice.

that is, until they research missile shield. then it's a bummer.
Sat 09/08/03 at 19:44
Regular
pyramid wrote:
> Yes, I am new to this forum. I play games for escape and
> entertainment. I came to this forum to see what other people were
> thinking and playing. No, I do not surf the net for 9/11
> controversy..I merely came into the forum, saw the topic, and couldn't
> believe my eyes.
> As far as games like BlackHawk Down, etc, I do not play them either,
> don't agree with them, and won''t allow them in my house. I place no
> more value on American (or British) innocent lives, than on any
> others. They are ALL important. As I stated before, I think there are
> plenty of other ideas for games, and I do not agree with making a game
> based on real life tragedy. To clarify that, I mean ANY game based on
> a real life tragedy. I would not spend my money on any of these
> games, or any other games that company makes for that matter. This is
> a really messed up world we are living in...my idea of entertainment
> is to escape from it, not to relive or glorify it. And to me it is not
> entertaining to play a game that disrespects the memories of other
> people.

i respect that, but i have to admit it doesn't exactly leave you open for a lot of games, does it?
Sat 09/08/03 at 16:24
Regular
"TEAM ROBINOUS D"
Cool!
Sat 09/08/03 at 16:21
Regular
Yes, I am new to this forum. I play games for escape and entertainment. I came to this forum to see what other people were thinking and playing. No, I do not surf the net for 9/11 controversy..I merely came into the forum, saw the topic, and couldn't believe my eyes.
As far as games like BlackHawk Down, etc, I do not play them either, don't agree with them, and won''t allow them in my house. I place no more value on American (or British) innocent lives, than on any others. They are ALL important. As I stated before, I think there are plenty of other ideas for games, and I do not agree with making a game based on real life tragedy. To clarify that, I mean ANY game based on a real life tragedy. I would not spend my money on any of these games, or any other games that company makes for that matter. This is a really messed up world we are living in...my idea of entertainment is to escape from it, not to relive or glorify it. And to me it is not entertaining to play a game that disrespects the memories of other people.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.