GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"whats with the grand theft auto series on xbox?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Grand Theft Auto 3'.
Tue 26/08/03 at 17:25
Regular
Can Microsoft not think up any ideas of a new crime gang game.Why do Microsoft have to copy PS2?
Fri 29/08/03 at 10:14
Regular
"  "
I too reckon the XBox pad is really comfortable. Fits in the hands well, without having to scrunch your fingers up to touch the buttons and thumb-sticks. This was a problem with the GC pad. It is too small so you have to bend your fingers when you want to use the L & R buttons, and I find my thumb hurts when using the analogue stick.
Sat 30/08/03 at 22:55
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> D-Pad too small,

Ok, maybe for you, but if we're speaking comparitively here, then that's blatently not true. A quick comparison shows that it's bigger than those on the Controller S and Official GameCube controllers, and the same size as the Offical Xbox pad. Whatsmore, the inverted four triangles works the best when compared to Microsoft's meshed D-Pad, and Nintendo's conventional. It seems to go hand in hand with the GTA car handling.

> analogue stick placement is seriously outdated now.

That's an exaggeration. As a controller based solely on the original PSX design, it was always not going to work for certain genres. Agreed, with the current analogue stick position, is a poor controller for platformers, but it can be a real joy to use for games like Tony Hawk's and beat 'em ups. With GTA, it could be better, but the intuitive design on the developer's part means it isn't really a problem.

> Basically the console could have done with another, alternative,
> official controller rather than just a "if it ain't broke don't
> fix it" approach from Sony.

It was a tough job for Sony though - as the PS2 offered backwards compatability with PSX games, they had to make the controller work accordingly.

> The controller is the biggest hurdle for me because, quite frankly,
> it's not up to scratch compared to the controllers offered by
> Nintendo and Microsoft.

Well, I'd say that the Controller S and GameCube Official controllers beat it, but it's still better than Microsoft's poorly designed original.

> If Sony churn out the same pad and offer no alternative when the PS3
> come round I will not be purchasing it.

I'd be annoyed, but it wouldn't put me off the console.
Sat 30/08/03 at 23:04
Regular
"8==="
I find it an almost unplayable and frustrating experience using a playstation controller.

Much better out there, same applys to the consoles too.
Sat 30/08/03 at 23:28
Regular
I respect that opinion.

It is ridiculous, however, to say that the likes of the NES controller are more comfortable and user-friendly.
Sat 30/08/03 at 23:38
Regular
From my point of view the PS2 controller is very comfortable and user friendly. Can't see fault with it myself.
Sun 31/08/03 at 00:27
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
The main problem I have with PS2 controllers is i'm not as used to them as xbox ones. The feel is different.

And don't get me started on describing what button to press for a casual gamer.

"hey which button is reload?"
"X"
"X is jump you muppet"
"No! X as in Xbox X Button, not Playstation X"
"Wa?"
"Just press blue"

Sound familier to anyone? The anoying thing is everyone makes the mistake, damn sony and its brainwashing.
Sun 31/08/03 at 00:32
Regular
Thats what I blame for peoples problesm with other controllers. The fact they aren't used to them is just a chance for them to turn around and call it crap. I can't honestly think of a controller in the history of gaming without some plus points. Never hated one to the point of dispair but new ones do take a bit to get used to.
Sun 31/08/03 at 00:38
Regular
"8==="
I had a playstation for a year. It was appalling.
Sun 31/08/03 at 00:47
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I won my playstation. Well my dad won it and I loved it. Untill I got bored and saw how good DC's were. Then I switched.
Sun 31/08/03 at 00:50
Regular
"8==="
I hate the clacky noise the analgue sticks make aswell. Very annoying.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.