GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"FREEOLA - formmail script changes!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/03/07 at 19:42
Regular
On your status page you have just added:

"Resolving PHP/CGI email issues on the server.: We are in the process of correcting a minor misconfiguration on the web servers which allowed mail to be sent without correctly specifying who the mail was sent from. If you are currently making use of a Formmail script or PHP email, please make sure that any emails your script tries to send are configured to be sent as coming from a Freeola Hosted email address."

Can Freeola say if this means you now MUST use the 'from' field in your forms?

The Freeola help pages say:

"From:You can also set the from field; this will be reflected in the "From:" field in your mail client, i.e. the sender of the email. So if you have more than one form you can easily see which is which.
"

I don't use this field - but if it is now to become mandatory then can you say how much notice you are giving before the changes take affect?

The formmail issues have been going on for quite a while so I hope if this field is now mandatory you don't suddenly introduce it without proper notice!

Thanks in advance from a slightly worried user!
Wed 21/03/07 at 17:53
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
GWD, I did log a request with our Support Team that the Network Status page is updated. This should happen shortly.
Wed 21/03/07 at 17:53
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Digitrader wrote:
> These changes are all well and good, BUT there is a downside!
> even though we have on our forms a box asking for the senders
> email, and its requiered field, yet all messages come through
> with the TO and FROM Fields as being sent by ourselves to
> ourselves! how can we set it up so that we can actually reply to
> the sender of the form. Any help appreciated.
>
> Kev

The Form To Mail script in our Support pages is set up with an 'E-mail' field. This should come through with the end users e-mail address, along with the Name and Message Body.

The From field is seperate and required to show that the Form To Mail attempt is coming from a valid Freeola user.
Wed 21/03/07 at 17:33
Regular
GWD wrote:
> I've just updated my test FORM to send to my GMAIL account.
> If it should arrive I'll let you know.
>
> Any comment regarding my 'Status Page' comments?

Forgot to say:
The test messages that did arrive (using the sample code) still had some data from a cookie I have set for that site?!

At the moment this is the least of my problems though!
Wed 21/03/07 at 17:26
Regular
These changes are all well and good, BUT there is a downside! even though we have on our forms a box asking for the senders email, and its requiered field, yet all messages come through with the TO and FROM Fields as being sent by ourselves to ourselves! how can we set it up so that we can actually reply to the sender of the form. Any help appreciated.

Kev
Wed 21/03/07 at 17:17
Regular
I've just updated my test FORM to send to my GMAIL account.
If it should arrive I'll let you know.

Any comment regarding my 'Status Page' comments?
Wed 21/03/07 at 17:11
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
We are noticing a delay on messages sent to Freeola hosted addresses, but our tests to non-Freeola recipient addresses seem to be coming through very quickly.

I would appreciate it if you could confirm whether you experience similar results. I have passed it back to our Systems team for further testing.
Wed 21/03/07 at 17:03
Regular
loki wrote:
> Right, is the address you are sending to also a Freeola hosted
> address? It doens't have to be, it just may help us diagnose the
> problem.
>
> If so, has the recipient address got Advanced E-mail Protection
> on the MyFreeola account? And could you try making the recipient
> address a non-Freeola email address to see of that comes through
> more quickly?

Everything in my tests has been Freeola (website/email/my adsl!).

No to advanced email Protection question.

I'll try a non-Freeola address later.

Form emails from around 1pm (using the sample code I referenced)have arrived at 16.48.

This mornings messages have not arrived yet.

If you agree there is some sort of service issue here perhaps you could update your status page to reflect it, as that's where I try to get my clients to look if they suspect any service problem.
Wed 21/03/07 at 16:50
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Just noticed the thread below by Dan 777, with a reply from Loki, which seems to answer my question.
Wed 21/03/07 at 16:43
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I've sent four test emails via two separate web forms, using my own custom script, with the suggested Freeola changes.

On each form, the from field and new -f setting is set as the email address of whomever is filing in the form. In my test, I used a Freeola address, and a Hotmail address.

Results so far are that the two tests that used a Freeola address as the from field have come through (albeit quite a bit later than hoped), while the other two test that used a Hotmail address as the from field have not come through.

This leads me to believe that I can no longer use my current method of setting the from field to the email address of the user filling in the form! Is this correct?

mail("******@haignet.co.uk", "Contact Form", "$Comments", "FROM: $Email","-f $Email");

... where $Email is the email address of whomever filled in the form.
Wed 21/03/07 at 15:38
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
GWD wrote:
> loki wrote:
> GWD, it's safe to assume that the [email protected] address you
> are using is actually an address that is hosted on your
> MyFreeola account?
>
> Yes.

Right, is the address you are sending to also a Freeola hosted address? It doens't have to be, it just may help us diagnose the problem.

If so, has the recipient address got Advanced E-mail Protection on the MyFreeola account? And could you try making the recipient address a non-Freeola email address to see of that comes through more quickly?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.