GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"FREEOLA - formmail script changes!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/03/07 at 19:42
Regular
On your status page you have just added:

"Resolving PHP/CGI email issues on the server.: We are in the process of correcting a minor misconfiguration on the web servers which allowed mail to be sent without correctly specifying who the mail was sent from. If you are currently making use of a Formmail script or PHP email, please make sure that any emails your script tries to send are configured to be sent as coming from a Freeola Hosted email address."

Can Freeola say if this means you now MUST use the 'from' field in your forms?

The Freeola help pages say:

"From:You can also set the from field; this will be reflected in the "From:" field in your mail client, i.e. the sender of the email. So if you have more than one form you can easily see which is which.
"

I don't use this field - but if it is now to become mandatory then can you say how much notice you are giving before the changes take affect?

The formmail issues have been going on for quite a while so I hope if this field is now mandatory you don't suddenly introduce it without proper notice!

Thanks in advance from a slightly worried user!
Thu 22/03/07 at 12:43
Regular
GWD I've taken a look through your code and the only thing I can suggest is that you may need to escape out the @ symbol in the address after the -f variable. I've seen a few Perl scripts which muck up the address unless it is escaped with a \. Other then that the sendmail system is working well at present with tests coming through to me in a few minutes so it shouldn't take that long to debug.
Thu 22/03/07 at 11:41
Regular
Hi loki,
that all sounds like good news!

My only problem now is with a site that uses a third party script - BFormmail.

This script logs the form message to a text file which has been useful in the last few days.

Everything was working a while back including the new '-f' requirements, but now only the text file part is working, no emails are arriving.

Can you take a look at the code and tell me what I need to amend to cater for your latest changes?
[URL]http://www.gwd.freeola.net/form/[/URL] to view the original code.

If it's too much trouble don't worry; as long as your sendmail service is working normally again I should be able to debug it, but any comments you have would be appreciated.
Thu 22/03/07 at 11:37
Regular
Wow so folk actually sign up to accounts just so they can send out SPAM how sad must those folk be? dont they have a life? good job your on the case Loki you get them weeded out and if you have an address for them you should fine them! for all the hassle they have caused you and us.

Kev
Thu 22/03/07 at 11:11
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Morning GWD,

We have amended the script to correct your cookie issue. Glad that seeems to be resolved.

Although we did experience slowdown yesterday, we think that we have taken a big step to solve the problem now. By requiring the valid Freeola From: address, we can block non-Freeola spam attempts and also identify spammers using free Freeola addresses to launch spam campaigns.

Therefore, last night we were able to identify an account which had been used by spammers and we were able to block it at around 7pm. We are now monitoring logs daily and should now be able to identify and kick off spammers long before the mail queues hit 3 days again!
Thu 22/03/07 at 08:47
Regular
Morning.
My GMAIL test message and form mails from yesterday morning all arrived overnight - along with a real form message!

A test this morning (using Freeola accounts) has come through immediately :)

loki,
please continue to update us with your on-going investigations regarding performance/spammers.

- I've just noticed that the cookie text doesn't arrive with this mornings tests - so I guess you've changed the script as I haven't changed anything at my end ???

I would like to know when you believe the problem has been permanently resolved.

Thanks.
Wed 21/03/07 at 19:25
Regular
Hi Loki
I have raised a ticket REF 133783 re the funny message I have since sent a message the 5PM one and its just arrived, and all fields are correct, I tried to send with no email and the system says (correctly) no email so your form is working correctly, BUT as per Ticket 133783 some how this message has came through your system with ne sender details its all strange to me I have sent as much detail to you as I could I think its came from Freeola?

Kev

loki wrote:
> It does seem to be running slowly. One of our systems team is
> looking at an account that is sending thousands of messages in
> case they are spamming and causing extra queues on the server.
> If so, the account should be shut down tonight.
>
> So yes, I'm afraid the service is running slowly again. I'll
> post an update when I've got more from our Systems team.
>
>
> --------------
>
> So Kev, are you saying that the last tests you got through
> didn't include the Email information, only that submitted in the
> Name and Message input boxes?

loki wrote:
> It does seem to be running slowly. One of our systems team is
> looking at an account that is sending thousands of messages in
> case they are spamming and causing extra queues on the server.
> If so, the account should be shut down tonight.
>
> So yes, I'm afraid the service is running slowly again. I'll
> post an update when I've got more from our Systems team.
>
>
> --------------
>
> So Kev, are you saying that the last tests you got through
> didn't include the Email information, only that submitted in the
> Name and Message input boxes?
Wed 21/03/07 at 19:10
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
It does seem to be running slowly. One of our systems team is looking at an account that is sending thousands of messages in case they are spamming and causing extra queues on the server. If so, the account should be shut down tonight.

So yes, I'm afraid the service is running slowly again. I'll post an update when I've got more from our Systems team.

--------------

So Kev, are you saying that the last tests you got through didn't include the Email information, only that submitted in the Name and Message input boxes?
Wed 21/03/07 at 18:57
Regular
>Loki wrote
> The Form To Mail script in our Support pages is set up with an
> 'E-mail' field. This should come through with the end users
> e-mail address, along with the Name and Message Body.
>
> The From field is seperate and required to show that the Form To
> Mail attempt is coming from a valid Freeola user.

Hi Loki
Yes I know and thats why a cant understand why its not happened today? yesterday it was working but the messages that came today it didnt happen?

Oh and by the way I sent a test message from two of our forms today at 5PM and as yet &pm none have came back? has form to mail packed in again??

Kev
Wed 21/03/07 at 18:36
Regular
Still nothing on my GMAIL test.
I have just received a Freeola Bulletin from 19/3 though?!
and another one sent 19.12 on the 19/3.
So it looks like lots of emails are still rattling round the system.

Enough for today - guess I'll be back tomorrow :(
Wed 21/03/07 at 18:05
Regular
loki wrote:
> GWD, I did log a request with our Support Team that the Network
> Status page is updated. This should happen shortly.

Thanks loki.

I've just seen:
"Problems with sending Formmail: We are currently experiencing delays on the servers when receiving e-mails from mail scripts that are being sent to Freeola addresses. We have our engineers looking into this fault and it should be resolved shortly. Our apologies for any inconveniences this may be causing."

Nothing has arrived on my GMAIL account test so far; so from my point of view that statement isn't quite right.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.