GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Driver 3 amongst others canned on Cube...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/09/03 at 11:55
Regular
Taken from cube-europe.com

"Today at the SEGA event in Rotterdam, The Netherlands, we had a litte chat with Atari. Atari representatives were at the event because Atari distributes the SEGA titles in the Benelux. Unfortunately, Atari brought us some bad news.

Some of you may have already heard of these Cube cancellations. Today Atari confirmed the rumours...

Mission Impossible: Operation Surma, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, and Driver 3 will not be released for the Nintendo GameCube.

Fortunately, Atari said we will probably see the sequel to Dragonball Z: Budokai on the Nintendo GameCube. And the following titles are also still on for a release on the GameCube: XGRA, The Powerpuff Girls, Beyblade, Dexter's Laboratory, Carmen San Diego, Kero Kero King, and Digimon Rumble Arena 2. "

So we loose the games that would have sold and we're left with kiddy crap like Dexters Laboratory and The Powerpuff girls.

WTF?

No wonder Cube gets labelled as a kiddy machine when developers treat it like this.
Tue 30/09/03 at 22:07
Regular
Of course Nintendo have brought this on themselves. Hell, this just happened because they're BEING themselves. It's not a fault - it's a rather tragic example of how the public seem to appreciate the popular stuff over the quality stuff.

But boy have you got it wrong from thereonin. All Nintendo need is better marketing - they don't need to sell-out to the market, just to appeal to it. Alienating their key software titles is a ridiculous idea, they should be turning them into popular software titles instead, through good ads.

And there IS a bigger market for Driver 3 than Powerpuff Girls - you merely have to look at the sales figures. While Nintendo may have an undeserved kiddy image, the more knowledgable of developers can realise that the GameCube fanbase is far from being made up entirely of children. Take a look at sales of Soul Calibur 2 on GC; the best out of the three consoles. Why? Well one, it appeals to the fanbase because it's a great game and two, it's exploiting an untapped market - fighting games.

What does this prove? That GC owners WILL buy more mature games, providing they're good. Driver 3 will exploit a market of Ninty's just craving a little bit of their own GTA, and if past titles are anything to go by, it's gonna be a damn good game. It'd sell on GameCube, and it'd sell well. Atari are just being damn stupid and stuff like this gets on my nerves.
Mon 29/09/03 at 11:04
Regular
Simpsons Hit and Run's excellent. Thougn if you're not a fan of the show I can see that it would have limited appeal. The missions do get a bit on the repetetive side, but the hilarious speach and exploration of Springfield make up for that.

Truely excellent game.
Mon 29/09/03 at 10:53
Regular
"Long time no see!"
If The Simpsons: Hit and Run turns-out to be as good as it could be then I reckon we'll all be able to forget about the third game in the Driver series not coming out on the 'Cube.

And, besides, this one's a "multi-format" game - just like the usual cack that EA and co. release on a monthly basis.
Plus, it's ANOTHER game bearing simillarities to Grand Theft Auto... At least The Simpsons' should have humour!
Sun 28/09/03 at 22:35
Regular
"8==="
There are set goals and quests. But you get to pick and choose.
Sun 28/09/03 at 22:34
Regular
"8==="
I'd say at it's heart it's about exploration and character development. There is a linear 'main quest' to it but you are allowed to wander freely if you choose and there's loads of stuff to find for those that want to but you don't have to. ;)
Sun 28/09/03 at 21:19
Regular
I have to agree... a game that has no set goal and more of a see where it takes you affair isn't as instantly playable as games should be.
Sun 28/09/03 at 21:16
Regular
That's exactly what I mean.

(I need to start explaining things better so the others can understand what I mean too :D)
Sun 28/09/03 at 21:12
Regular
Cyclone wrote:
> A combined thing would be brilliant, but that colour scheme would have
> to go.
>
> Imagine the selling power of these series - Final Fantasy, Halo,
> Resident Evil, Fable, Zelda, Mario, Metroid, GTA etc etc etc.....
>
> + Online stuff by MS and just the best games ever by Nintendo.

The major advantage would be Microsoft's pulling power in the west and Nintendo's pulling power in the east.

Oh and Edgy means that the idea that you know where your going and what you have to do...

Mario World may allow gamers to wonder off for a bit... but you'll ultimatly end up having to go along the main path anyway...
Sun 28/09/03 at 20:33
Regular
"8==="
I loved it when Super Mario World came out on the SNES. Nice and non-linear.

I like well implemented complication it stops me from getting bored. Levels that can be played more than one way, that have more than one route, can be completed using more than one character with more than one weapon etc.
Sun 28/09/03 at 20:24
Regular
I miss the old days of gaming where games were linear and had a set challenge.

Oh how I miss those days.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.