GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Doom 3"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Doom 3'.
Wed 24/09/03 at 20:15
Regular
CVG interviewing id CEO Todd Hollenshead:

'How about the Xbox version?

Hollenshead: We're literally in the early stages of getting the technology up and running on the Xbox. The Xbox is completely within the specs of what the target for Doom III technology is.

You'll be seeing a lot of unique textures that literally make the world just the way you might imagine if Hell really had erupted on a spacestation.

What about a PS2 version?

Hollenshead: Frankly, the PS2 couldn't do the math calculations for the geometry acceleration, real time shadows and light. GameCube is the same thing, no version planned.'

I hope that's enough to silence the moronic fanboys?
Thu 25/09/03 at 16:39
Regular
"8==="
Cyclone wrote:
>
> I don't want to run aimlessly looking for colour coded keys again.

Shame that was part of Dooms charm and it was easy.
>
> Play Doom 1/2 today, and they will bore the hell out of you.

Wrong. Doom and Doom 2 are timeless classics. They have some of the best level design ever seen in FPS games.
>
> Doom 3 will probably be more fun, as its more scary, but if its not
> advancing anything, except graphics, then I don't give a toss.

Shame. You clearly have missed something here.
Thu 25/09/03 at 16:40
Regular
"Are you sure you want to quit to Dos?"

Yes.

I just tested out that theory - played a couple levels of Ultimate Doom for Windows 95, and I didn't get bored.

Quite enjoyable I must add, despite the controls feeling a little wierd now.
Thu 25/09/03 at 16:42
Regular
"8==="
Cyclone wrote:
> Mouse and keyboard are essential.

Essentail for distancing the player from really getting into a game.
>
> Can a dual analogue really provide the same pin point accuracy?

'feeling false' is 'feeling false'.

and yes duel analogue will provide thesame pin point accuracy. The speed settings might need a bit of adjusting to equal mouse speed.
Thu 25/09/03 at 16:43
Regular
"8==="
I'd love to see Doom 1 and 2 included in Doom 3 and playable over Xbox live.

That would be sweet.
Thu 25/09/03 at 16:49
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Ahh. I laugh.

Doom 1/2 are hideously boring now. Sure, IDDQD and IDKFA (now they are immortal) on Ultra Violence mode may be fun, but to play the game seriously, level after level after brown level.........er, no.

And mouse aim is soo much better. Leave it there. How in gods name does it distance you? Its on a bloody screen anyway!!!

Bah.
Thu 25/09/03 at 16:53
Regular
PC gaming is sh*et outside of RTS games. Control pads and console gaming muchos rockos.
Thu 25/09/03 at 16:56
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Oh for the love of god.

If you have a decent PC (difficult I know, in comparison anyway) PC gaming has fare more variety and games than all 3 consoles added together, with full customisability/control and everything. I never use it for online, but its far more established than LIVE or any other online service.

To say it sucks is just a random generalistaion.

Like me saying XBox is rubbish becuase it doesn't have any decent platformers.

Now restrain yourself please.
Thu 25/09/03 at 16:56
Regular
"8==="
Cyclone wrote:
> Ahh. I laugh.
>
> Doom 1/2 are hideously boring now.

Wandering into dark areas trying to stay alive, struggling to fend off the hordes of demons and survive the acid traps? Yeah REALLY boring.

> seriously, level after level after brown level.........er, no.

But dark levels are what Doom's all about. The whole 'playing with light' concept is great and still works well today. The locations were also quite believeable.

>
> And mouse aim is soo much better. Leave it there. How in gods name
> does it distance you?

Basically I just think that controllers lets you interact in a more 'real way' than mouse and keyboard does, and controllers have triggers. :)
Thu 25/09/03 at 16:59
Regular
Restrain myself from what? Let me see...

32" Widescreen TV.
Wireless Xbox controller.
Dolby Digital surround sound system.
Comfy sofa to sit on.

The fact that with the Xbox I am yet to play a PC port which isn't bettered on the console joined with the fact that on IGN's Doom 3 interview/video preview with the developers they actually said its running and looking better on the Xbox as it stands.

Oh and to be honest you could say the Xbox is the biggest load of toss for all I care, you are the one missing out, not me.
Thu 25/09/03 at 17:07
Regular
"gsybe you!"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
>
> Oh and to be honest you could say the Xbox is the biggest load of
> toss for all I care, you are the one missing out, not me.

Replace XBox with PC.

There. All I'm saying is that dismissing the PC so is just stupid. If you have the technologoy, it'll last you 3/4 years (about as long as a console these days seemingly) and you will be able to play many many many more games than on a console. Dismissing it like that is, like I said, stupid.

And Doom is boring. Why? Well, of course, it *was* terrific, and I recognise its place in the gaming heritage and all that lark, but nowadays, I can play games which actually let you do things other than shoot monsters, oh, and shoot more, and more, and more.....

Eg. You say Doom is scary. True, it was. AvP2, is scary. It relies on the same principles, but because of advances, is far far more atmospheric, because aliens do other stuff apart from running towards you attacking you!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.