GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Doom 3"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Doom 3'.
Wed 24/09/03 at 20:15
Regular
CVG interviewing id CEO Todd Hollenshead:

'How about the Xbox version?

Hollenshead: We're literally in the early stages of getting the technology up and running on the Xbox. The Xbox is completely within the specs of what the target for Doom III technology is.

You'll be seeing a lot of unique textures that literally make the world just the way you might imagine if Hell really had erupted on a spacestation.

What about a PS2 version?

Hollenshead: Frankly, the PS2 couldn't do the math calculations for the geometry acceleration, real time shadows and light. GameCube is the same thing, no version planned.'

I hope that's enough to silence the moronic fanboys?
Fri 26/09/03 at 11:26
Regular
Max Payne feels and looks better on the Xbox despite the so called "lack in resolution" so I have no worries about Half Life 2 and Doom 3 looking just as good.
Fri 26/09/03 at 11:24
Regular
"8==="
To be honest I'm not fussed about the resolution, gameplay is far more important: having an intuitive control system is easily the biggest priority.
Fri 26/09/03 at 11:13
Regular
85hz refresh rate yes but thats why I paid extra for a 100hz television. Some American games are actually starting to support 100hz as a game option but I can still play it at 60hz on a pure flat television.
Fri 26/09/03 at 09:56
Regular
"Smooth Operator"
cookie monster wrote:
> Hedfix wrote:
> Mmmmmmmm. Mouse and keyboard control...
>
> Uh, no, I think I'll wait for the Xbox version.
>
> Then you are crazy.
>
> Mouse and keyboard IS FPS gaming.

Amen. I have preached this sermon once or twice here and it probably doesn't go down well with console owners. I have both and buy games that play to thier strengths. Soul Calibur on the PC? Ok it can be done and you can pay £30 for a joypad but it won't sella dn they won't do it. So play that on your GC and enjoy handing your friends their a$$es on a plate.

FPS? Doom 3, Quake 3 Arena, Unreal and Half Life multiplayer - the purest fastest twitchiest, most intense experiences on any platform. And no - no console player in the world can touch a pc player with a mouse and keyboard. Unless he has autoaim on - which somewhat defeats the point doesn't it? :oP
Fri 26/09/03 at 08:06
Regular
"8==="
Strafex wrote:
> Controller Vs Keyboard
>
>
> It's basically down to what you're used to.

Hmmm sort of. I used to only play on my RISC PC (Keyboard and Mouse) as Megadrive and SNES controllers weren't up to much. I was completely signed up to keyboard and mouse superiority.

Then something happened: Goldeneye and the analogue stick.

I never looked back. The sheer amount of control and playability offered by modern controllers is simply amazing in comparison to the days when I used mouse and keyboard.

Controllers are modelled around your hands, they only rely on small, deft movements. Controllers do not make your shoulder ache, the buttons are intuitively placed and having two analogue to split movement and aiming between is much easier than splitting them between to very different devices (Keyboard and mouse).
Thu 25/09/03 at 22:15
Regular
"pause.tk" "13cm"
Viva la Control pad!
Thu 25/09/03 at 22:14
Regular
As to Doom 3, although the game wouldn't work on a Gamecube, it was designed from scratch to work with PC hardware, like the Xbox.
Now I've not seen EVERYTHING the Xbox has to offer, but I am yet to see a game who's graphics beat (the technically sublime, even if it was a complete disaster in the game design department) Starfox Adventures.

Also, a bit of irony mentioning fanboys in that post, kid!
Thu 25/09/03 at 22:10
Regular
Controller Vs Keyboard

It's basically down to what you're used to.

A controller might be better for general control of your character, having all your buttons within easy reach and full analogue control on your character's motion rather than a clumsy digital keyboard.

A keyboard and mouse, on the other hand has more possible buttons and the mouse might be that little steadier for aiming, rather than a springy analogue stick.

But it's down to mastery.

A master control pad user can sharpshoot and a master keyboarder can have full control over his buttons and motion.

Personally, I can't use a mouse and keyboard and this it was good when it was first designed, but way out dated now and only still in use down to the fact that most serious hardcore FPS games use it, especially as the PC was the only online machine... until now.

but each to their own.
Thu 25/09/03 at 20:59
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
I can't stand playing FPS' with a control pad. It feels far too sluggish and unresponsive. Mouse and Keyboard all the way for me.

And Alastair, there'll be plenty of people playing Doom 3 on their 21"+ monitors (bear in mind that having a 32" monitor would actually make it harder to see due to the distance away from it you'd be), on reclining leather seats, with anti-aliasing, anistropic filtering, 85Hz refresh rate and at 1280x1024 resolution (or more). That would easily look better than the Xbox version, no question. Even though it's completely beside the point since I was only joking.
Thu 25/09/03 at 19:25
Regular
"8==="
I believe it's: *Yawn*

:P

Yup different strokes.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.