GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Just read it"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Killzone'.
Fri 26/09/03 at 11:47
Regular
"Thats all, really"
hello boys and girls!
i ve got some hot news for us diehard PS2 owners. I just saw a few screenshots for upcoming PS2 exclusive KILLZONE. Remember that name. It's going to be huge. HUUUUGE!!!!!! It's developed by 'Guerilla'- Europe based Sony's new development team. Everything about the game is still hush hush! All I know is that it's due for the first qurter 2004 release, sometime! The game itself is a first person shooter, but by the looks of it it's going to rival Halo 2's massive gameplay and graphics. The word is that it's likely to be even more engenious and inovative. All I have to say about the subject is: 'HA HA', to you X-box owners. I think it's long overdue that PS2 got some great FPS, as X-box kicked it's but in FPS genre department. But no more. I just hope there will be no delays or such, and the game will rise to meet it's skyhigh potential and expectation! Well done! well done indeed!!!
By the way does anyone have any info on Ico 2???? I know it was anaunced, than canceled(delayed maybe??), than some screenshots came trough, than they show us nothing on this year's E3, till I don't know what to think anymore! Thats really strange move by Sony at best, since Ico is one of those games that could really make a difference, don't you think???
Mon 29/09/03 at 11:32
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> They WILL be massive hits, deny it all you like but they will.

Oh dear, this really is going on a bit now. I don't care if they are going to be hits. We can both sit here and drag out lists of games that we hope will be hits. I'm arguing that X-Box doesn't kick PS2's butt at FPS games at the moment. If they are big hits, lovely, something for X-Box owners to enjoy.

On the IGN forums at the moment I noticed an X-Box owners discussion going on where one honest guy had actually started a topic asking fellow X-Box owners which genre was most lacking. They all seemed quite worried about Racing, Platform adventures, puzzle games and RPGs. A couple, like you, came out with some lovely lists, but the other X-Box owners actually turned round and pointed out how bad some of those games are. Burnout 2 was one of the only good ones, along with a couple of votes for Gotham, but no general feel of success in that department. As for the other categories, they couldn't come up with a single decent title.

> The PS2 release calendar is looking ever more empty as more titles
> are updated and ported to the Cube and Xbox.

I'm not sure that sentence even makes sense, but anyway, the PS2 release schedule is far from empty (but I'm not going to print a lovely list). I've forgotten the figures, but there are over 1000 games due between now and the end of next year if I remember rightly. If you're desperate, I'll check that one out. Interestingly though, some of those aren't action adventure or FPS games as well.

> I am okay at the moment as I have all the back catalog of games to play > which I have bought over the last few weeks.

That's good, very reassuring to know. I'm sure Halo is excellent.

> As for the stupidly long post, what was the point?

On the subject of hair pulling, would you like me to suggest smaller, easier to understand posts? Perhaps just shorter words? Its completely up to you.

> You were pointing out the obvious. Yes the forums have gone completely
> down hill but I am bored of saying it over and over now as nothing will
> change.

Hmmm... checks Alastair's arrival date... roughly one and a half years. This means that unless you were registered as a different user before then, you wouldn't know.

> If you don't like them then thats your problem because at the moment
> I wouldn't vists here unless there was something to debate or dicuss
> without everyone kissing each others back sides thinking they know
> them.

This sounds as if its basically just a way of releasing anger and tension then. I don't like arguments like this because as you can see, there is no winner, its just opinion, and you can throw as many lists around as you like, but it makes no difference. I could even throw in sales figures and say that the number of X-Boxs around is only one sixth the number of PS2s. There are so many pointless ways of arguing, its ridiculous.

Without arguments, in an ideal forum, I'd like to come in and be able to discuss the latest releases, compare game progress and discuss secrets and hidden detail. I would also want to keep an eye on future releases and share information about those titles, trading web addresses for news and pictures, discussing our hopes for those games. Then there are plenty of comedy topics, often by some of the better posters like Goatboy, Fantasy Meister, Wookiee Monster and a few others.

Anyway, before the hair pulling gets too serious, perhaps you would be willing to leave it like this: You are happy with your X-Box, and have a strong FPS genre with plenty of titles to enjoy, and some impressive potentials on the horizon. I on the other hand am happy with my PS2, and feel it does just fine in the FPS category as well.
Mon 29/09/03 at 13:12
Regular
"8==="
Notorious Biggles wrote:
>
> COnkers Bd Fur Day came out after PD Hedfix. And it rocked. Roll on
> Conker Online.

I know. I was correcting ssx's list.
Mon 29/09/03 at 13:21
Regular
"8==="
ssxpro wrote:
>
> As for the ones that are actually out, how much cloning do you want?
> Taking the same basic stuff and giving it a different coat of paint.
> Lovely. Ooh, lets add some stealth because they did that in MGS
> successfully. That'll make it different. Hey what about some new
> lighting techniques. Yes, they look lovely, Wolfenstein in
> particular, but who cares? They are so similar. Its only card games
> where its often good to have a lot of the same type of thing, not
> games.

Coming from a PS2 owner this is highly amusing.

'How much cloning do you want'?

Oh the irony.
Mon 29/09/03 at 13:43
Regular
"8==="
ssxpro wrote:

> I'm happy with PS2, and think it
> does exceptionally well in every genre.

Probably because every man and his dog has released a game on it. 90% of which we wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

Why I'm 'not allowed' to use
> a multiformat title to defend it I really don't understand.

It's hardly a reason to go out and get the console when you can get the same on a more powerful console now is it?

> PS2 holds its own
> because it has great games in the field. X-Box does too, but it
> doesn't "kick the PS2's but(t)".

Controller-wise I'd say it does. FPS-wise I'd say it does. And considering I find the PS2/PS1 controller poor in comparison to it's rivals that does pretty much write-off all the games right there and then. It's very hard to go back to a playstation controller since I've used N64, Dreamcast, GC and Xbox controllers - all of which I find superior.

> With Halo 2, unless they get together a cracking multiplayer mode its
> just not going to do enough to stand out as significantly superiour
> to the original. It doesn't make it bad, it just makes it less
> worthwhile.

'Less worthwhile'? Yes ana advanced version of a great game is 'less worthwhile'. No it isn't, your reasoning is poor.

> Firstly the harddrive I think, and
> its massive difference to the game, another factor that really makes
> no difference except to a couple of maps, not the gameplay.

True the advanced controller makes the gameplay difference. The Harddisk just stops people looking an idiot if they love the game and want to have 100's of designed maps without having a shelfload of memory cards to store them on.
>
> I believe it was suggested that Metroid Prime could be used in a
> similar argument, and actually I think it probably could. Metroid
> Prime is not a game I've played, but reviews I've read have been
> superb, and a good friend who owns the game seems completely addicted
> to it. I'm not sure what other FPS games it has though to back those
> two up though.

Metroid Prime is apparently an adventure. Personally it's lack of multiplayer meant I have yet to bother to purchase it.

>
> Flagships came up next I think, and lots of perceived comments. I was
> unaware of any PS2 flagship, something that probably results from the
> console having had more than one good game for a long, long time.

Shame because the general consensus is that GTA is (was) the PS2 flagship title.

>
> There was the part of the discussion about every genre being filled
> by a decent title, but this discussion is already hot enough, so
> perhaps its best not to leave the FPS genre. I hope that soon perhaps
> X-Box will also have decent titles in every genre as you
> optimistically say.

Evey genre I like, personally I can't stand platformers.
>
> Also, congratulations on the huge list of examples of Rare's work
> since Goldeneye.

Oh sarcasm from the man claiming Ali needs to stay in the playground? Hypocrite.

Rare don't need a huge list, they're like Nintendo: Quality over quantity but I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

> I actually own Perfect Dark, and greatly enjoy it
> myself, but many saw it as a big wet disappointment after Goldeneye.

Yes an advancement on a great game. Those who saw it as a disappointment are most likely the same people who fail to see a good game without it having a movie/tv licence slapped over it.

> You never know, maybe Perfect Dark Zero might actually turn out to be
> decent,

I'd say it was inevitable. MS and Rare aren't letting that go to waste.

> Ah well, I guess all the PS2
> owners are happiest around the games, not the keyboard these days.

Perhaps they've moved on and bought another console to compliment their PS2, you never know.
Mon 29/09/03 at 15:18
Regular
I had hoped for a moment there that we may have agreed to disagree, but I should have learned from previous arguments with X-Box owners that this never happens. Ah well, here we go again.

Hedfix wrote:
> Probably because every man and his dog has released a game on it. 90%
> of which we wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

That is fairly accurate really. Everybody has tried, there is a vast number of games in every genre, but because of that there have been plenty of big hits from it, providing PS2 owners with something to enjoy across the board. As PS2 owners we don't have to buy all the games though, and can just pick the good ones from each category.

> It's hardly a reason to go out and get the console when you can get
> the same on a more powerful console now is it?

No, that's right. Perhaps we could return to the original argument... I wasn't saying buy a PS2 over X-Box for FPS games, that would be for other areas. I was just saying it doesn't get its butt completely kicked in, it has plenty of games that mean its FPS section is full of decent quality games as well.

> Controller-wise I'd say it does.

Oh, no thanks, I'm not going to argue about that one. That really would be sad. Its another opinion one which doesn't seem to get understood around here. I use a PS2 controller, I love it. You use and X-Box controller, fine. End.

> Oh sarcasm from the man claiming Ali needs to stay in the playground?
> Hypocrite.

I said nothing about needing to stay there, only that there was no need to use insults on here, that can be kept inside schools. This year I'll be teaching first year university students, thankfully they've grown out of that.

> Perhaps they've moved on and bought another console to compliment
> their PS2, you never know.

Could be. The latest Star Wars game on X-Box seems quite excellent. Even managed to get to number 1 as an X-Box only title. I know a fair few PS2 owners who have bought other consoles. Some prefer their new purchases, some still prefer their PS2s, its all about opinion and personal preference.

Also, I'm trying not to resort to insults, but this one's funny, so don't take it personally, but I hope you appreciate it. The word compliment means to praise, so by buying another console, you were saying it would make the PS2 look better, a pleasant surprise. Perhaps complement would have been a better choice. Anyway, like I said, no offence meant, we all knew what you meant, but it was kinda funny.
Mon 29/09/03 at 15:36
Regular
"8==="
ssxpro wrote:
>
> Also, I'm trying not to resort to insults, but this one's funny, so
> don't take it personally, but I hope you appreciate it. The word
> compliment means to praise, so by buying another console, you were
> saying it would make the PS2 look better, a pleasant surprise.
> Perhaps complement would have been a better choice. Anyway, like I
> said, no offence meant, we all knew what you meant, but it was kinda
> funny.

Hmmmmmm.

*Takes 'i' key off keyboard and melts it* :D
Mon 29/09/03 at 15:40
Regular
Phew... glad we both saw the funny side of that one.
Mon 29/09/03 at 15:51
Regular
"8==="
*Shrugs*

Forget it.

I have tried very hard in the past to like the way the Playstation does things: I can't.

I dislike the controllers, the quantity over quality approach and amongst other things the gall of Sony to release a multitap for the PS2 after every other manufacturer had decided 4 ports was the standard.

Despite this I would actually own a PS2 and a small collection of games if they'd actually released an alernative/updated version of the controller.

They haven't so I stuck with my N64 until the Xbox and GC turned up.

So whether there is a great line-up in the FPS games genre or various other game genres is really a mute point because until they can actually make a controller that I want to play games with I won't be bothering with any of them.
Mon 29/09/03 at 15:58
Regular
I think there are adaptors you can buy. I'm afraid I can't really be much more help than that, but if you put in a google search you might be able to find an adaptor that would let you plug an X-Box/N64 controller in to the PS2 and use it that way. It would obviously need some tweaking to make sure the right buttons did what you wanted, but I'm fairly sure its possible.
Mon 29/09/03 at 16:03
Regular
"8==="
I have looked before. The converters I found were to make PS2 controllers work on Xbox and Gamecube.

It is quite infuriating.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.