GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Just read it"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Killzone'.
Fri 26/09/03 at 11:47
Regular
"Thats all, really"
hello boys and girls!
i ve got some hot news for us diehard PS2 owners. I just saw a few screenshots for upcoming PS2 exclusive KILLZONE. Remember that name. It's going to be huge. HUUUUGE!!!!!! It's developed by 'Guerilla'- Europe based Sony's new development team. Everything about the game is still hush hush! All I know is that it's due for the first qurter 2004 release, sometime! The game itself is a first person shooter, but by the looks of it it's going to rival Halo 2's massive gameplay and graphics. The word is that it's likely to be even more engenious and inovative. All I have to say about the subject is: 'HA HA', to you X-box owners. I think it's long overdue that PS2 got some great FPS, as X-box kicked it's but in FPS genre department. But no more. I just hope there will be no delays or such, and the game will rise to meet it's skyhigh potential and expectation! Well done! well done indeed!!!
By the way does anyone have any info on Ico 2???? I know it was anaunced, than canceled(delayed maybe??), than some screenshots came trough, than they show us nothing on this year's E3, till I don't know what to think anymore! Thats really strange move by Sony at best, since Ico is one of those games that could really make a difference, don't you think???
Sun 28/09/03 at 16:26
Regular
Deus EX 2 - Not Yet Released
Operation Flashpoint XB - Not Yet Released
Counter Strike XB - Not Yet Released
Halo 2 - Not Yet Released
Half Life 2 - Not Yet Released
Doom 3 - Not Yet Released
Prerfect Dark Zero - Not Yet Released

Do I detect a pattern? Anyway, Rare haven't exactly done well since, hmm, Goldeneye? Possibly Conker's Bad Fur Day. As for Half Life 2 and Deus Ex 2 those have that inevitable sequel slump feel to them. They're games that just won't live up to the originals, a shame really, as Half Life 2 is an exciting prospect. Doom 3 I couldn't care less about, and Halo 2 isn't going to do anything more than Halo unless they actually figure out how to put an exciting multiplayer mode in, and that doesn't mean some stuffy online fridge. Operation Flashpoint and Counter Strike will always be PC routed games, and never truly find their feet outside of it.

As for the ones that are actually out, how much cloning do you want? Taking the same basic stuff and giving it a different coat of paint. Lovely. Ooh, lets add some stealth because they did that in MGS successfully. That'll make it different. Hey what about some new lighting techniques. Yes, they look lovely, Wolfenstein in particular, but who cares? They are so similar. Its only card games where its often good to have a lot of the same type of thing, not games. On which console, other than PS2, can you experience a quality title in every genre?
Sun 28/09/03 at 16:40
Regular
"8==="
Ha! I didn't think this thread could get any funnier, but it has.
Sun 28/09/03 at 17:41
Regular
"8==="
ssxpro wrote:

> Does X-Box kick the PS2's butt in FPS games. I'm saying no, because
> in my opinion, the best two FPS games out there are both on PS2. Half
> Life and Splitters 2.

I'm saying yes it does because it has the harddisk for TS2 and it's getting the sequel for Half-life. Have you noticed the irony in using a sequel to defend the PS2 and yet claim that Half-life 2 and Halo 2 have the 'inevitable sequel slump feel to them'?

Half-life is terribly flawed and outdated now. I have played Half-life and I greatly prefer Die Hard Vendetta to it. On the Xbox setup it is easier to get 4-16 player FPS gaming going.

Infact if you replace Half-life with Metroid Prime you have the pathetic Nintendo fanboy argument that MP and TS2 somehow raise Gamecube's few FPS games above the FPS games on the Xbox.

The fact that both those have appeared on other
> consoles doesn't matter.

If you have to use multiformat games to promote your console then yes. So if we cancel out TS2 as it's on both consoles that leaves the dated Half-life Vs Halo..um.. Halo ever so slightly wins.

On a side note Xbox still has it's exclusive 'perecived' flagship title in Halo it now also has the 'perceived' flagship title of the PS2.

The point is that with a PS2, you can enjoy
> something from every genre, rather than having to rely on just one
> FPS game.

As you can on the Xbox.

ssxpro wrote:
Anyway, Rare haven't exactly done well since,
> hmm, Goldeneye? Possibly Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Perfect Dark pal.

> As for Half Life 2 and
> Deus Ex 2 those have that inevitable sequel slump feel to them.

Sure.

> They're games that just won't live up to the originals, a shame
> really, as Half Life 2 is an exciting prospect.

Cool let's write them off before we've played them because the originals were great, and this is good reasoning because?

Doom 3 I couldn't
> care less about, and Halo 2 isn't going to do anything more than Halo
> unless they actually figure out how to put an exciting multiplayer
> mode in, and that doesn't mean some stuffy online fridge. Operation
> Flashpoint and Counter Strike will always be PC routed games, and
> never truly find their feet outside of it.

Say what you like but they'll all be more fun than TS2 and Half-life on the PS2.
>
> As for the ones that are actually out, how much cloning do you want?
> Taking the same basic stuff and giving it a different coat of paint.
> Lovely. Ooh, lets add some stealth because they did that in MGS
> successfully. That'll make it different. Hey what about some new
> lighting techniques. Yes, they look lovely, Wolfenstein in
> particular, but who cares? They are so similar. Its only card games
> where its often good to have a lot of the same type of thing, not
> games. On which console, other than PS2, can you experience a quality
> title in every genre?

Ha ha! Actually the FPS game on the Xbox all seem vastly different to me. I could reduce any game down to it's basic compnents and say that it isn't fun because of it - but guess what - they are fun.

If you took your arguments into FOG chat/FOG prime I can guarantee you'd be laughed out of either forum.
Sun 28/09/03 at 20:07
Regular
I can't believe the amount of ballax SSX just came out with.

One of the funniest and most retarded posts e.v.e.r
Sun 28/09/03 at 20:15
Regular
"8==="
*Dumps Xbox and goes to buy a PS2 purely for Half-life*

*Wakes up screaming*
Sun 28/09/03 at 20:54
Regular
I got Half Life last week for the PS2 as its still a good game. Despite this it feels extremely dated and is no where near the quality of Halo which took what Half Life did and made it much much better.

How anyone would choose Half Life over Halo is completely beyond me.
Mon 29/09/03 at 00:42
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> I can't believe the amount of ballax SSX just came out with.
> One of the funniest and most retarded posts e.v.e.r

Why thanks! Its good to see we can all agree that people's opinions vary. You think X-Box leads the way, that's fine, especially if it helps justifying the purchase etc... I'm happy with PS2, and think it does exceptionally well in every genre. Why I'm 'not allowed' to use a multiformat title to defend it I really don't understand. Are games only good when somebody else doesn't have them? PS2 holds its own because it has great games in the field. X-Box does too, but it doesn't "kick the PS2's but(t)".

I too can list a load of upcoming FPS games, *Not Yet Released*, and pretend that everyone of them is going to be a massive hit. Halo 2, Half Life 2 and all the rest are not here yet, which is the same for many promising PS2 FPS games. Also, with the part where I said Halo 2 and Half Life 2 could be slumps, its simply because the original is hard to beat. With the original TimeSplitters, everyone could see that the 1 player game had been massively rushed, and this left a huge void to be filled by the sequel. This meant that Splitters 2 did everything Splitters did, and better, as well as filling that void. With Halo 2, unless they get together a cracking multiplayer mode its just not going to do enough to stand out as significantly superiour to the original. It doesn't make it bad, it just makes it less worthwhile.

As for the "funniest and most retarded posts ever" comment, perhaps you could keep the biting and hair pulling to the confines of your school.

There was a lot to reply to in the post from Hedfix, and I'll try and answer from what I remember of the post (I can't be bothered to go back, or load another browser). Firstly the harddrive I think, and its massive difference to the game, another factor that really makes no difference except to a couple of maps, not the gameplay. I think it was actually Hedfix who came up with the defence using a sequel part, so see above for that.

I believe it was suggested that Metroid Prime could be used in a similar argument, and actually I think it probably could. Metroid Prime is not a game I've played, but reviews I've read have been superb, and a good friend who owns the game seems completely addicted to it. I'm not sure what other FPS games it has though to back those two up though.

Flagships came up next I think, and lots of perceived comments. I was unaware of any PS2 flagship, something that probably results from the console having had more than one good game for a long, long time. Metal Gear, possibly, a year or so later, and the same for Vice City. I have to say I still think Half Life is a great game, that hasn't aged too badly, so I can't really use the argument that Vice City and MGS2 were late arrivals on X-Box, but its true. However, as I've said before, I think their arrival is a good thing. Multiformat is a good idea because that way, even if you have made an unlucky choice and have picked a console that is struggling to sell, you can still get decent games that rely on other consoles to actually make money, this way all console owners are happy, not that its always apparent.

There was the part of the discussion about every genre being filled by a decent title, but this discussion is already hot enough, so perhaps its best not to leave the FPS genre. I hope that soon perhaps X-Box will also have decent titles in every genre as you optimistically say.

Also, congratulations on the huge list of examples of Rare's work since Goldeneye. I actually own Perfect Dark, and greatly enjoy it myself, but many saw it as a big wet disappointment after Goldeneye. You never know, maybe Perfect Dark Zero might actually turn out to be decent, but my writing it off is simply because its best not to get into the FPS listing game where every title hasn't yet been released. I could hop off to IGN and look down the list of upcoming PS2 games, drag my list back here and spew it across the page, but that's been done so many times over the last three years.

Lastly, about taking the arguments over to the FOG forums, I haven't been there in years, and don't really intend to go back. A long time ago, when it was a single forum, it was a pretty good place sometimes, with some decent discussions. However it soon went massively down hill with loads of arguments like this thread, and it became pointless posting there. Any topics that were actually worth reading just got buried beneath endless garbage. Moving back to the PS2 forum worked for a while, in the days of Your Honour, I Am The Tarrant, Wookiee Monster, SonicRav, Fantasy Meister, Pro Evo, Triple H, Spikecast, and others (as well as guest appearences from Grix Thraves, one of the few posters who I've never seen get drawn into pointless arguments). Things didn't go too badly, and people arriving like FinalFantasyFanatic was a good thing as he's really matured here and produces some decent posts, but generally things have been going down hill, there are virtually no new posts each day compared to two years ago, and what is posted here is mostly dribble (I put my hand up here to accept a share of that). Ah well, I guess all the PS2 owners are happiest around the games, not the keyboard these days.
Mon 29/09/03 at 00:58
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
ssxpro wrote:
> Ah well, I guess all the PS2 owners are happiest
> around the games, not the keyboard these days.

*Pokes head into thread after 4 hours of Dark Chronicle*
*Goes back to Dark Chronicle*

I should really be in bed as I've got to be up at 6:30am, but damn it that fishing is just so addictive.
Mon 29/09/03 at 01:41
Regular
They WILL be massive hits, deny it all you like but they will. The PS2 release calendar is looking ever more empty as more titles are updated and ported to the Cube and Xbox. I am okay at the moment as I have all the back catalog of games to play which I have bought over the last few weeks.
As for the stupidly long post, what was the point? You were pointing out the obvious. Yes the forums have gone completely down hill but I am bored of saying it over and over now as nothing will change. Arguments about games and such are the only things which keep on the topic of games instead of utterly pointless garbage posted for the other 90% of the time.

Without arguments everything would be formal and completely sh*et. If you don't like them then thats your problem because at the moment I wouldn't vists here unless there was something to debate or dicuss without everyone kissing each others back sides thinking they know them. Its an online forum and its good to argue and debate.
Mon 29/09/03 at 01:55
"I love yo... lamp."
Killzone may well be brilliant and I might get it. But by the time it comes out it is as FM says going to be old.

Halo multiplayer boring? Hello have you never played a 16 player match with the system link? Fantastic.

COnkers Bd Fur Day came out after PD Hedfix. And it rocked. Roll on Conker Online.

I don't know anyone who was disappointed with PD. It was after all voted the second greatest game ever in a magazine poll. And it still has one of the highest user ratings on gamespot.

Halo 2, Half Life 2, Counter Strike etc all of them are going to be great. Unless something is majorly messed up between now and release they will be fantastic. The PS2 is just getting too old now. It is 3 and a half years old. Deal with it.

Doom 3 would just be too taxing for the PS2 hardware. That's a fact. Not enough memory or fast enough processor. And as John Carmack isn't one to compromise then there is no chance of a detuned as it were version being made for the PS2 to run.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.