GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"chipped Xboxs?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 01/10/03 at 11:18
Regular
highly illigal, but no ones perfect eh?
Has anyone had the mod chip & 80 Gig Hardrive upgrade fitted yet?
apparently you can dump entire games to the drive for faster accsess!
I need more speed! and room for the music i've dumped to disk, only got 32000 Blocks left now! anyone know how much is too much? before it affects the games your playing? may have to buy another XBOX! probably down to a ton by Xmas anyhow
Sun 12/10/03 at 23:14
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Yep, that's what I thought it said.
Sun 12/10/03 at 23:14
Regular
OK.
Sun 12/10/03 at 23:08
Regular
"Remember me?"
Read it again.
Sun 12/10/03 at 23:06
Regular
Only if a woman is asking the question.
Sun 12/10/03 at 22:53
Regular
"Remember me?"
If a man is in the woods and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
Sun 12/10/03 at 22:49
Regular
Whilst we're on legal conundrums:

An American visits the UK and brings along his NTSC XBox and an NTSC copy of Halo. If he plays his game whilst in the UK, is he infringing territorial copyright? (UK and US law states that copyright is territorial and that licensing only applies to specific territories).
Sun 12/10/03 at 18:07
Regular
Just a thought - I have read in the Terms & Conditions when installing some software onto my PC that you are allowed to make one archival copy of the disc(s) providing you have the original.

If the original gets destroyed, then surely you'd have to destroy your archival copy immediately, or contact the publisher for a replacement.
Sun 12/10/03 at 16:34
Regular
It's worth pointing out that Sony add codes to all their PS2 games expressly to prevent copies being made on CD/DVD burners, and most publishers, be it Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo usually include the phrase "Unauthorised copying (et al) are prohibited" in either the software itself or in the accompanying manuals.

That in itself should be a major hint that they don't want you making backups and that they, and only they, own the right to do so. If we DID have the right to make backups, then games publishers would be in court on charges for preventing us from doing so.
Sun 12/10/03 at 16:30
Regular
"Beaten with sticks"
I popped a 120 gig HDD in mine, ahh tis a thing of beauty, especially with my Sarah Michelle Gellar Dash Background....
Sun 12/10/03 at 16:26
Regular
Erm, you missed out the first paragraph:

"It is not an infringement for the owner of a copy of a computer program to make or authorize the making of another copy or adaptation of that computer program provided that such a new copy or adaptation is created as an essential step in the utilization of the computer program in conjunction with a machine and that it is used in no other manner."

"Essential step" is the phrase that catches everyone out, it seems. Recent court rulings over backup copies resort to using the phrase "where necessary" in UK copyright law.

The courts have ruled that making copies of software provided on floppy disc is 'necessary', because floppy discs are so fragile so a backup copy on a more secure format is usually advised. In these instances, the copyright owner usually give express permission in the end user licence to make a copy, but even if they don't, the user can make a backup.

With regards to CD/DVD based SOFTWARE, backups have been ruled under UK law as NOT necessary, simply because:

a) scratched CD-roms/DVD-roms can be easily repaired.
b) destroyed CD-roms/DVD-roms can be easily replaced by the publisher, usually for around £5-£10, varies with the publisher, sometimes free, again, varies with the publisher.

You wanted a link?

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/Ukpga_19880048_en_1.htm

Enjoy.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.