GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"chipped Xboxs?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 01/10/03 at 11:18
Regular
highly illigal, but no ones perfect eh?
Has anyone had the mod chip & 80 Gig Hardrive upgrade fitted yet?
apparently you can dump entire games to the drive for faster accsess!
I need more speed! and room for the music i've dumped to disk, only got 32000 Blocks left now! anyone know how much is too much? before it affects the games your playing? may have to buy another XBOX! probably down to a ton by Xmas anyhow
Sat 11/10/03 at 11:45
Regular
OK, so Edgy is squeaky clean, or so he reckons in his post. But, anybody can hide behind a PC screen and write what they like. His offer to buy me a Marathon (difficult to do that these days given its name change) suggests to me that I am likely to find an illegal track on his PC. Maybe you don't realise, but ripping an MP3 off a CD that you bought is illegal. Copying music/software, for ANY reason, is illegal unless you get written permission from the copyright owner(s) to do so. So the fact is, almost 100% of users will have some kind of illegal music/software on their PCs.

Got any more smarts you want to try Edgy?

Some facts:

1) Chipping your XBox is not illegal.
2) A chipped XBox can play XBox Live!, and with copied games if you must know. There are ways and means.
3) Piracy is not killing the games industry. The games industry is killing the games industry. Software sales are in a slump because of the lack of innovation, high prices, and constant chruning out of sequels that take several years to surface. Development times are lengthening, focus is shifted towards looks, and gameplay suffers as a result.

I think you'll find that ever since games were a mainstream product, prices have been proportionally the same relative to the economy. Piracy has not affected things one bit in this sense, but rather than prices falling, companies use piracy as an excuse to keep prices inflated. This may be true to an extent, but the fact is, software companies are making huge profits from games sales, so don't go telling me that piracy is killing the industry!!

I would actually go as far to say that it is the idiots who pay full price for the games that is contributing to keeping the prices high. If people will pay the price, then of course companies will charge as much as they can.
Sat 11/10/03 at 11:02
Regular
He has a point.

Some users do modify their xbox for backup purposes - Say if you lose/damage the back-up - at least you can just make a new one from the original.

It isn't illegal to modifiy your console as such - But don't expect Microsoft to come and help when things go wrong.
Sat 11/10/03 at 03:10
Regular
"How Handy."
I've got a big curver box over there full of PC game CDs that never get touched because I've got iso's of them on the hard drive because I'm a lazy git and can't be bothered swapping CDs all the time. I do the same with xbox games because it's so much easier to play games off the hard drive than using the real DVDs.
Sat 11/10/03 at 01:07
Regular
Backup my a*se. You are telling me you keep a real copy and a full version copy? Nah didn't think so.
Sat 11/10/03 at 00:47
Regular
"How Handy."
My XBox is modded. Absolutely nothing illegal about modifying your xbox and using backed up games, it's when you start downloading or copying games you dont own is when it gets illegal.

And XBox modding is about more than just playing backup games. My Xbox is now a total media center, that can play media streamed over my network or directly from my PC. I also have some emulators on there to play games you cant buy anymore.

People seem to think that modifying is wrong, and evil and is killing the games industry. It isnt. You still have to buy the XBox to mod it. It's warez that's "killing the games industry".
Fri 10/10/03 at 10:27
Regular
Dark Mark™ wrote:
> That's all I'm saying on the matter, because I know I'm right.

You are correct mark-san.
Fri 10/10/03 at 00:12
Regular
"Remember me?"
People who chip their consoles and copy software are killing the games industry.

That's all I'm saying on the matter, because I know I'm right.
Thu 09/10/03 at 21:54
Regular
Nomino wrote:
> Edgy wrote:
> And you're a mug paying to have your Xbox chipped - now you have to
> spend atleast another £170 to utilise the delights of Xbox
> Live.

>
> Oh, and why don't you lot pay attention to JimTopBloke. He's
> absolutely spot on with his statement. It's so funny that you all
> hark on about piracy being illegal, wrong, for mugs etc. So you
> don't have an illegal copy of Windows?

Nope, my PC came with Windows XP. It is a genuine version with no mods whatsoever to get around any authorisation

Office?

I have SunStar Office. It came free with my computer. I also have Microsoft Works - does everything I need and only cost me £25 from SR. Bargain!

What about those
> chart MP3s you downloaded the other day?

Downloaded from where? I don't even use Kazaa (not even on my system). If you can find a single illegal track on my PC, I'll buy you a Marathon.

None of you have got any
> cracked software on your computers at all?

Quite simply, no!

Yeah, OK. Have any of
> you lot paid for that copy of WinZip you use?

Windows XP doesn't need Winzip to compress files to .zip format, and can decompress by itself. I also have an old version of Winzip on a CD that came with a magazine. It's a trial version that doesn't have a time limit on it. Therefore, although I haven't paid for it, I'm not breaking any laws in having and using it.

Any other smarts you want to try?
Thu 09/10/03 at 21:43
Regular
My friend had his done a couple of months back and with LIVE up and running previously it would not let him connect. I warned him about it. Now he has 2 Xbox's, one for LIVE games and the other so he can wear his black eye patch with pride. I constantly call a swamp donking sausage jockey for beigna t*t and getting it modded.
Thu 09/10/03 at 21:37
Regular
You can - Newer mod chips allow them to be 'switched off' so the Xbox is fooled into thinking it's just a normal xbox - Thus letting them on Live

Don't worry - My xbox is not chipped - I just know someone who has done it and i've seen it in action.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.