GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How fantastic is skies of Arcadia?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Skies of Arcadia'.
Mon 06/10/03 at 00:18
Regular
Despite naff graphics I am loving this Skies game. Picked it up along with 3 other games (see my £50 in cambridge thread) for a mere £19 and I can't imagine a closer RPG alternative to Zelda. Vast, expansive, encourages exploration and a deep story. In fact as storylines go it moves at a far faster pace than that Wind Waker game.

Great game, feels a bit like Starfox to play (not quite sure why) but of course i mean that in a good way.

If you can find it buy it. You won't regret it. Roll on Skies 2.
Page:
Tue 07/10/03 at 20:29
"period drama"
The random battles are pretty infrequent conpared to a lot of other RPGs. You can go a far way sometimes without battling. It wouldn't be so bad if you could heal up at the save points.

Still rocks. Muchly.
Tue 07/10/03 at 19:24
"The Will of D."
Random battles get less anoying once you get the ability to go above and below the normal cloud limit, this is after you get back from the purple moon crystal dungeon.
Tue 07/10/03 at 17:39
Regular
The random battles haven't got annoying thus far...

Perhaps toneing them down slightly would be better... but they're not pure hell yet.
Tue 07/10/03 at 17:11
Regular
If I want mini games I would buy Super Monkey Ball. If I want one of the best and most solid RPG I will play Skies of Arcadia.
Tue 07/10/03 at 16:51
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> DreamWarBird wrote:
> I have this on Dreamcast, and not being a massive RPG fan.
>
> Ive spent alot of time playing this game (30+ hours), but i put it
> down cause of the many random battles.
>
> Still have it?

Yep :)
Tue 07/10/03 at 16:17
"The Will of D."
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> I thought it was good, but I sold my copy before I finished it because
> I couldn't be ar$ed to play it anymore.
>
> Got up to the bit where Fina and bloke bird get split up from Vyse,
> then never played it again.
>
> The random battles bored me and I just lost the will to play it
> anymore.

My God! that was only half way through the game, more or less. That was hardly anything in the main story of it all.
Tue 07/10/03 at 15:00
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> That can be said for any RPG. SOA is about as diverse as they come.

Not at all - the obvious comparison here is FF. Every FF has got tons of mini-games (some of which could be sold as complete games in themselves). Snowboarding in FF7, triple triad in FF8, Chocobo treasure hunting in FF9.. all the little opera and musical sections that are a break from the usual.

I can't think of one point in the 50+ hours I spent playing SOA where the gameplay varied off the path of flying around searching the map, fighting random/boss battles and watching cut scenes. There were barely even any puzzles - just button switching ones a la Tomb Raider.
Tue 07/10/03 at 14:16
I love random battles. Well, in things like FF I do. An essential part of the game you see...
Tue 07/10/03 at 11:58
Regular
I thought it was good, but I sold my copy before I finished it because I couldn't be ar$ed to play it anymore.

Got up to the bit where Fina and bloke bird get split up from Vyse, then never played it again.

The random battles bored me and I just lost the will to play it anymore.
Tue 07/10/03 at 11:13
Regular
That can be said for any RPG. SOA is about as diverse as they come. Even the latest and greatest KOTOR is just more of the same set in different areas under different stories. Much more varies the latter Final Fantasy games.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.