GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GAMECUBE OWNERS, HEAR ME OUT!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/10/03 at 17:49
Regular
"Incomprehendible"
I am an extremely loyal gamecube owner and am appalled at PS2 and X-Box owners for saying our console is rubbish. I really enjoy playing my Gamecube and I feel it is really underestimated. Most people who insult Gamecube's have never even played one, and I know that those who have have enjoyed doing so. The good people at Special Reserve will agree with me that the console is not to be overlooked, especially as the price is dropping dramatically. But, however loyal I am, I am worried that my beloved console is becoming a little bit pointless in the eyes of the public, and that it is not good enough to battle alongside PS2 and X-Box.
Many people believe that the Gamecube is only for little kids, and that all Nintendo consoles are. The company are often referred to as "Ninty" and this just seems ridiculous to me. Yes, there are a lot of children's games and yes, Nintendo have their own line of characters, most of which are aimed more at young people. But, are we forgetting the games for older people that are available to all the consoles? By this, I mean ALL THE CONSOLES, not all of them except the Gamecube. We have Resident Evil, Splinter Cell. In fact, we have Soul Calibur 2, do all of you PS2 and X-Box owners have that? NO!
Gamecube owners, post a message here telling the other console owners just what you think! Tell them why you love your Gamecube, and let us see how many people we can get onto our side. Do it for the Gamecube!
Sun 02/05/04 at 11:36
Regular
"and PC user"
Nintendo to return to dominate the market place? Brave words indeed. I think to be fair, they will be luck if they can just get on level terms with Sony, and maybe edge out XBox a bit.

Why do we have to choose a "games" machine or a "multimedia" machine? It IS possible to have have a good games system which also has the ability to (for example, play mp3 music, and/or take photo's). The mobile phone market has proven this already - I use the Sony T610 phone as the prime example. I would go on to say that, unless you are "multitasking" a battery powered console (ie, playing games with a video phone running along side or playing mp3 at the same time), I dont see how the battery life would be reduced by much. I expect things like mp3, calculator, notepad, etc will be done all in software with no specific extra hardware, so they will not impact on the battery.

As for Nintendo learning from GameCube - they certainly are - I mean who would spend the money on introducing a console at that time which was using a custom disc format, and not DVD? Lets hope they do learn from the GameCube! I think that the lack of DVD-ROM and DVD-Video on GC is a significant reason why GC has not been more sucsesfull. DVD-ROM has more capacity, and its a standard so pressing discs, printing templates are all the same. GC discs require a different setup, and have less capcaity. I bet that many people are using their PS2's to play DVD movies in rooms that would otherwise not have a dvd player. Another plus for PS2 (and XBox), but not GC. Yes, the games might be the "main" issue when buying such hardware, but dvd video playback also plays a part, and for some people not sure on which console to buy, could be that "extra" feature that swings it for them.
Sat 01/05/04 at 11:06
Regular
Macintosh wrote:
> With Nintendo GC being thrashed by Sony and with XBox offering an
> alternative

To be fair, the GC is outselling the Xbox on a worldwide scale and Nintendo are making a tidy profit, with sales continuing to rise due to the pre-Christmas price cut and deals.

> I think Nintendo are already have a difficult time. When the PSP (Sony
> hand held) is launched, Nintendo will be under even more pressure - I
> think a lot of people are going to get PSP's. T think that will be a
> much much bigger sucsess than Nintendos new hand held.

I doubt it somehow. The Game Boy is actually a more recognised brand name than the Playstation, and look how the N-Gage fared - offered all, bought by none. People evidently want a good, handheld games machine, not an overpriced multi-media portable entertainment system.

And on the subject of the DS, that won't be the handheld Nintendo pit against the PSP. Nintendo have even said that they aren't expecting large sales with it - it will be considered a success if some people buy it and find it enjoyable to play. Currently, the GBA 2 is under development and that will be released as their next main handheld console.

> And PS3 will be around that time too. I think Nintendo will be
> looking to cut costs significantly in order to stay alive. Very
> possible the GC will be there last full size console.

I doubt you've thought your logic through well enough. Nintendo have learnt a lot with the GameCube, and they've already confirmed that it's successor is well into development with innovative enhancements other than increasing its power. Their next console could very well be their return to dominance within the industry.
Sat 01/05/04 at 00:48
Regular
I am a long time Nintendo buyer from way back in the good old days of the GameBoy but although I now own a Gamecube as well the first console I bought from this generation was the Xbox (I wouldnt touch that overhyped pile of crud known as the PS2 if you payed me). I feel that Nintendo has lost its way a little and have to sort of agree with those who complain about the childlike content of all Nintendo machines. I also think the Xbox as a better service for those who like to play online which I do with xbox live. Still love the cube though so I guess I am sort of on the fence on this one.
Tue 20/04/04 at 16:39
Regular
"and PC user"
Edgy wrote:
> T score 04 wrote:
> The Nintendo DS double screen is a rubbish idea it will use twice
> the
> power and confuse the hell out of people.
>
> The fact that the PSP will use high powered lasers to read discs, as
> well as to use other features such as MP3 isn't going to use
> unnecessary power, is it?

Very valid point Edgy, but that doesnt stop 2 screens using more power than a single screen on the DS. Difficult to know which is worse for battery. Portable CD players (new ones) do last much longer on battery than the old models. I think that 2 screens is still worse, and its possible that one company may use a different capacity battery.
Tue 20/04/04 at 16:35
Regular
"and PC user"
Buck1 wrote:
> sorry i forgot to say one thing
>
> its not about what the gamecube can do for you
>
> its about what you can do for the gamecube

We are not in 60's America now, and the only thing that means anything that you can do is to buy a Nintendo console. Problem is, not enough people want to do that - even with it being the cheapest full size console.
Tue 20/04/04 at 16:31
Regular
T score 04 wrote:
> The Nintendo DS double screen is a rubbish idea it will use twice the
> power and confuse the hell out of people.

The fact that the PSP will use high powered lasers to read discs, as well as to use other features such as MP3 isn't going to use unnecessary power, is it?
Tue 20/04/04 at 16:29
Regular
"and PC user"
Edgy wrote:
> FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> I've never liked PC gaming.
> It just doesn't feel right for me - soon enough consoles will come
> up
> to level on the graphics side of things
>
> PCs aren't better unless you can afford to keep upgrading or replace
> your PC to top spec each time a new upgrade is created.

Its simply too expensive to keep using the pc for the very latest games.
Tue 20/04/04 at 16:14
Regular
"Nintendo RIP"
The Nintendo DS double screen is a rubbish idea it will use twice the power and confuse the hell out of people.
Tue 20/04/04 at 15:53
Regular
"and PC user"
With Nintendo GC being thrashed by Sony and with XBox offering an alternative, I think Nintendo are already have a difficult time. When the PSP (Sony hand held) is launched, Nintendo will be under even more pressure - I think a lot of people are going to get PSP's. T think that will be a much much bigger sucsess than Nintendos new hand held. And PS3 will be around that time too. I think Nintendo will be looking to cut costs significantly in order to stay alive. Very possible the GC will be there last full size console.
Tue 20/04/04 at 15:22
Regular
"Nintendo RIP"
If the name fits Ninty boy

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.