GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Spam increase to Freeola email"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/03/10 at 15:16
"Are you sure?"
Sorry it's always me...;¬)

Any other Freeola users noticed an increase in SPAM recently?

We've just had a pretty good run of low levels of SPAM, but for the large range of domain/emails I look after I can see a recent increase.

If there's anything Freeola can check/update it would be appreciated.

Am I right in thinking SPAM email samples sent as attachments via Outlook are still no use to you?

Thanks.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 18/03/10 at 15:12
Regular
"I like turtles"
Thanks for the responses guys.

Might have a look at Mailwasher Pro,how exactly does it work ?.Concerned my wife might open one of these attachments should ESET not detect it.The fact I've told her not to won't stop her !.
Thu 18/03/10 at 14:38
Regular
The spam I've been getting includes a 'password reset' from 'Facebook' which can 'be found in an attachment'.

I'm getting the Russian girls ones too, as well as fake watches and 'pharmaceuticals' (sic). I'm also getting '419s', including 'bank service suspensions' (shame I don't use those banks lol).

Mailwasher pro catches them all, so luckily I don't actually download any into Outlook.

N.
Thu 18/03/10 at 13:48
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
pete_21 wrote:
> Take it I'm the only who's had trojan's then ?.

Nope, we've had them on test accounts too.

>
> Any updates from Freeola ?,are this problems being looked at ?.
>

This is being looked at. The engineers responsible for these servers are looking into this.

> Are we wasting our time sending the samples in ?.
>

I don't think so. We forward the Spam to the team responsible for the running of the mail servers, so any examples should be helpful for them.

> Should I send any of the infected mails in to Freeola,should I
> receive anymore ? (deleted the ones I have received so far).

By all means send a couple of the infected e-mails.

Overall the amount of spam coming into the server has increased noticeably and I'm not sure why this would be. I know graylisting is being looked at as we suspect this isn't working as well as it should be and is usual a good tool for stopping spam.
Thu 18/03/10 at 13:32
"Are you sure?"
pete_21 wrote:
> Some good questions!...

I've seen a view dodgy (as in malicious as they are all dodgy!) attachments - the one's you mention and also a 'UPS Parcel' email with attached ZIP file...

I know another Freeola domain/adsl customer that also received that and unfortunately opened the attachment :¬(

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 18/03/10 at 13:25
Regular
"I like turtles"
Take it I'm the only who's had trojan's then ?.

Any updates from Freeola ?,are this problems being looked at ?.

Are we wasting our time sending the samples in ?.

Should I send any of the infected mails in to Freeola,should I receive anymore ? (deleted the ones I have received so far).
Wed 17/03/10 at 21:00
Regular
"I like turtles"
Guys,

Just had another come through with a trojan attached.It's the second one I've had this week.

Deleted it as didn't want to forward it on.

Details below :

__________ ESET Smart Security warning, version of virus signature database 4953 (20100317) __________

Warning, ESET Smart Security found the following threats in the message:

Facebook_document_674.zip - Win32/Oficla.EU trojan - deleted
Facebook_document_674.zip > ZIP > Facebook_document_674.exe - Win32/Oficla.EU trojan - was a part of the deleted object

Not good :(
Wed 17/03/10 at 18:09
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pete_21 wrote:

> EDIT : False alarm,just had the Med Center one for the 4th time
> :(

Still popping in....seem to be popular at the moment with some sort of 'foreign real estate scam' and oh yes, me and more Russian brides who are all totally respectable...:-)
Wed 17/03/10 at 17:37
"Are you sure?"
Yep - still coming through at my end too :¬(

Just to show they can be filtered - I pick up my mail via GMail 'mail fetcher' as well as via Outlook and that junks 100% of them!

That's why I mentioned "If there's anything Freeola can check/update it would be appreciated." when I started this post.

Once in the past I think Freeola mentioned spam was bad as 'something had gone offline/failed...'.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 17/03/10 at 16:15
Regular
"I like turtles"
27 emails through today and no spam !.Have I just been lucky or does someone deserve a big pat on the back ?.

EDIT : False alarm,just had the Med Center one for the 4th time :(
Wed 17/03/10 at 07:19
Regular
"I like turtles"
Seemed to have more than ever through last night,did send some more samples in.Had the same one through 3 times in a short time period.It was from ''Med Center'' with the subject ''~~~Good day :~~~Vicodi _ Percocet~~~''.Never had multiples of the same one coming through before ?.Just thought I'd mention it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.