GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Spam increase to Freeola email"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/03/10 at 15:16
"Are you sure?"
Sorry it's always me...;¬)

Any other Freeola users noticed an increase in SPAM recently?

We've just had a pretty good run of low levels of SPAM, but for the large range of domain/emails I look after I can see a recent increase.

If there's anything Freeola can check/update it would be appreciated.

Am I right in thinking SPAM email samples sent as attachments via Outlook are still no use to you?

Thanks.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 09/03/10 at 15:16
"Are you sure?"
Sorry it's always me...;¬)

Any other Freeola users noticed an increase in SPAM recently?

We've just had a pretty good run of low levels of SPAM, but for the large range of domain/emails I look after I can see a recent increase.

If there's anything Freeola can check/update it would be appreciated.

Am I right in thinking SPAM email samples sent as attachments via Outlook are still no use to you?

Thanks.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 09/03/10 at 15:26
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Hi there Hmmm...

We have had a few more reports of increases in spam mail received by some users, we have reported this to our server engineers, the investigations are ongoing.

We have seen a fairly substantial increase in the amount of mail that is going through our servers over the last few days that we think may be related, however this can't be confirmed yet.

Once we get some more information, I'll do my best to update this thread.

In the meanwhile, we'd appreciate it if spam mail is forwarded to the usual place so that we can also report it to the ISPs concerned: [email protected].

Remember headers need to be included when you forward.
Tue 09/03/10 at 15:41
"Are you sure?"
Hi motomotomd,
Thanks for the reply.

Re. the abuse@ reporting.

It came to light (via Freeola's ncrs) during a previous bad SPAM period that those of us that were sending emails intact as attachments couldn't be used as they aren't accepted by spamassasin (I think it was).

Is this still the case?

EDIT: I've just sent a sample to see if you can use them.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 09/03/10 at 15:59
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Sending messages as attachments to [email protected] shouldn't be an issue any more. As long as we can see the headers for the spam message, we should be able to get it passed on correctly.

I think the issue you encountered before and what ncrs suggested is that the headers had not come through complete.

I personally don't have access to the [email protected] address currently, I will let you know if there are problems with it though.
Tue 09/03/10 at 16:20
"Are you sure?"
FYI This thread was where ncrs mentioned Outlook attachments were hard work.
Looks like its 'spamcop' that can't cope:

The header is there, but it gets reorganised by Outlook (for no good reason), and the software I'm using to place the complaints recognises they have been altered and won't generate the complaints.

The current SPAM situation is easily manageable - I just thought it was worth a post as I can see something has changed.

Perhaps if you do find out if Outlook attachments are worth sending you could let me know?
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 09/03/10 at 16:35
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Oh yes, I remember what you were talking about now. As far as I am aware this still stands, the details need to be in a format that Spamcop is familiar with, at the time Outlook's format didn't seem to work. Ill update you in a bit (possibly tomorrow at this rate) to see whether this is still the case.

As far as we are aware, nothing has changed on the server. However we won't know this until we hear back from the engineers in question.
Tue 09/03/10 at 16:36
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Hmmm... looks like its now working, so send them over as you wish and we can get it reported to the relevant ISPs :).

Hurrah!

Edit: Damn me and my double post >:(.
Tue 09/03/10 at 22:36
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
> Sorry it's always me...;¬)
>
>
> Any other Freeola users noticed an increase in SPAM recently?
>
> We've just had a pretty good run of low levels of SPAM, but for
> the large range of domain/emails I look after I can see a recent
> increase.
>
>
> If there's anything Freeola can check/update it would be
> appreciated.
>
> Am I right in thinking SPAM email samples sent as attachments via
> Outlook are still no use to you?
>
>
> Thanks.
> [s]Hmmm...[/s]

Sorry Hmmm to have read this too late, but yes, a large increase in spam to all addresses....easily managed but not quite acceptable:-)
Wed 10/03/10 at 00:24
Regular
I've noticed a large increase too in the last few days.

I'm also getting emails from 'myself' via 2 spoofed addresses. Not happy about that, just hoping they don't get blacklisted.

N.
Wed 10/03/10 at 11:22
Regular
"I like turtles"
Yes guys,same here I'm afraid :(

I had a trojan (W32 variety) come through as an email attachment as well a couple of days ago..I haven't had anything like that in years ?.ESET detected though and I just deleted the thing.But yes,noticeably more manhood enhancing mails than usual ? :(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.