GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"LORD OF THE RINGS .v. HARRY POTTER"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/08/01 at 15:58
Regular
Is everyone ready for this coming battle? I know they are not being released together, but they will undoubtably be compared against one another when they do arrive. Does anyone have an opinion now?

Also, can we stem the tide of merchandising which is about to engulf us linked to these films???
Fri 07/09/01 at 21:41
Harry Potter is the worse crap ever created so i guess i have to say Lord Of the Ring.
Wed 05/09/01 at 23:23
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Do we know who's directed either film? Often the choice of director can have a profound effect on how the end product looks and is received. I guess that's why the pay the guys so much.
Wed 05/09/01 at 23:21
The Harry Potter film will be similar to the books I expect.
It will be enjoyed most by children and those adults that will allow the young person inside them to come out again.

Part of the magic of Harry Potter is that it is just like all the stupid games we played as children, but then fitted neatly together and given a proper story line.
Those of us who can look back on our childhood games and smile are garunteed to get some enjoyment out of the series.
Wed 05/09/01 at 23:14
It may lose its appeal to all kinds of readers, due to it being a film.

I think LOTR stands a bigger chance of being a disappointment as its a long established book, so if the directors vision doesn't match the vision of the average reader there will be big problems.
Wed 05/09/01 at 20:44
"The pen is mightier"
With LOTR being such a deep and involving book, i`m more worried it will be subjected to the American "Dumbing Down Effect".
I also suspect Harry Potter has already been aimed too squarely towards children as a film and may lose some appeal to some of us "older" readers.
Tue 04/09/01 at 23:24
Stryke wrote:
> Lord of The Rings is the greatest book ever,

I'll assume you're excluding the bible and all of Delia Smith's works

Harry Potter is rubbishy fodder for
> kids, who just like the strange names and suchlike in it

The names aren't so strange; Harry Potter, what's strange about that? Its a bit bland if you ask me! (no offence to anyone actually called Harry Potter).
If you want strange names I'd advise reading either Hitch hikers guide or (surprisingly) Lord of the stinkin' rings.
Tue 04/09/01 at 23:19
Stryke wrote:
But your choice is your own
> anyway. Just you're obviously not advanced enough to cope with a
> good book.

I believe that's hook, line AND sinker!!!

:-)
Mon 03/09/01 at 19:30
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
Mewtwo wrote:
> What the hell is Lord Of The Rings??????
There has been so much
> hype over this film for the past couple of years but all I can
> gather is that It sounds rubbish and is fairytale/fantasy film based
> upon series of books that I had never herd of.

Fantasy yes. Fairytale no. I'd suggest you try reading them. At least read The Hobbit as an introduction (which takes place before LOTR and is much easier to understand ;) )

Talking about books and saying you've not heard of The Lord of the Rings is like talking about films and saying you've never heard of Star Wars.

Both of them are phenomenally successful and both deserve all of it. They also both have the overly-obsessive nerd following but I think you'll find that these are in the vast minority and they both have a very widespread appeal - hence their success.
Mon 03/09/01 at 19:17
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
LORD OF THE RINGS: Named the greatest and most popular book of the 20th century. Almost universally accepted as a masterpiece by everyone who has actually read it.

HARRY POTTER: Evidence that the kids of today (and many adults) aren't as capable as they once were to read a proper book.

Comparing Harry Potter to The Lord of the Rings is a bit like comparing Monty Python to The Fast Show. Both good comedies in their own right but, whether you like the older of the two or not, which one do you think will be remembered in 30 years time?

There is a worry in the back of my mind that the LOTR films may have been simplified too much so that they appeal to a younger audience who are becoming interested in the genre through other means.
Mon 03/09/01 at 11:04
Regular
Lord of The Rings is the greatest book ever, and accepted as such by bestsellers lists world over. Harry Potter is rubbishy fodder for kids, who just like the strange names and suchlike in it. It doesn't have the right to call itself fantasy. Lord of The Rings, on the other hand, is truly good reading.

But your choice is your own anyway. Just you're obviously not advanced enough to cope with a good book.

And mewtwo, LOTR is not really a series, although there are other books by JRR Tolkein set in the same place, like The Hobbit and The Silmarilion.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.