GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"LORD OF THE RINGS .v. HARRY POTTER"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/08/01 at 15:58
Regular
Is everyone ready for this coming battle? I know they are not being released together, but they will undoubtably be compared against one another when they do arrive. Does anyone have an opinion now?

Also, can we stem the tide of merchandising which is about to engulf us linked to these films???
Mon 17/09/01 at 15:09
you said "Bible"

ha.

:-)
Mon 17/09/01 at 15:03
An education in good taste:

Firstly, the people that prefer Harry Potter can't have read The Lord Of The Rings, because it's clear when you read them that Harry Potter is not even in the same league as Lord Of The Rings, Harry Potter is in the same league as The Hobbit, it's a serious fantasy story that's very entertaining and well written. But Lord Of The Rings... Lord Of The Rings is in the same league as The Bible, it's a story that will never be forgotten, it's a story that explores every aspect of the human condition (not to mention the dwarven condition, the elven condition....). It's a classic battle between good and evil, told in the most epic and skillfully crafted way. As for the movies, wait until December, go and see Fellowship Of The Ring, and if after seeing the Fellowship's journey through The Mines Of Moria, you still prefer Harry bloody Potter, there's something wrong with you.
Fri 14/09/01 at 07:29
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
I'm not much of a reader but I'm reading Northern Lights at the moment. Classy book. I'll probably give both movies a miss.
Thu 13/09/01 at 23:54
"The pen is mightier"
I think i`ll proberly end up seeing LOTR, if only to find out how faithfully Hollywood has captured the feel of the book, but i have this feeling i`m going to be in for some disappointment. If however i keep reminding myself of this prior to viewing, i`m sure it will lessen that disappointment enough to enjoy a pure fantasy film, the like of which we seldom get nowadays.

Harry Potter on the other hand may well do better, or be adapted more easily than LOTR, but i feel it will lose out in the end due to the appeal being drawn mainly toward a lower age limit and the fact that the marketing hype machine will be cranked up to overload by the time it opens here. As sad as it is, i think this will be the outcome, although personally there should be room in the world of Film fantasy for both.

And whoever mentioned earlier about seeing Harry Potters lunchbox, well PLEEEZ!!!
This is a family chat forum... (lol) :-)
Wed 12/09/01 at 18:32
Regular
heh, I don't think anyone could actually be serious about a debate on fantasy books, to be honest.
Wed 12/09/01 at 15:56
Nah, its gone now mate!

If only we could turn back the hands of time!

I'd finally drawn someone in and I was even starting to sound serious myself (although if someone had looked back through the topic, they may have discovered I wasn't).

Nevermind. There'll be another time and another place.
Wed 12/09/01 at 15:52
Regular

Oh yeah. I forgot,sorry mate

I, uh, agree.

Although I've read the, er, Lord of the Rings and thoroughly enjoy it, I to.... umm, feel I should say it was cack due to the extensive description.

Despite the fact that I am currently reading and enjoying another series with perhaps even more description in.

I, uh, apolgoise, for er.... blowing Tarrants cover, so to umm, speak.
Wed 12/09/01 at 15:45
Dude! I'm trying to Orchestrate an argument on a subject that I really don't care about either way!
I don't need you stepping in here and raising relevant and good points!
Especially if they make me look bad/ in the wrong!

:-)

To all those who it may concern, Tarrant has removed himself from this debate due to the fact that his cover has been blown by one "Your Honour" who betrayed him and exposed him as a trouble causer. He would apologise for winding people up, but thats befitting for the evil mastermind he regards himself as.

Until next time!
Wed 12/09/01 at 15:19
Regular
Tarrant, The Sword of Truth series could be argued as being overly descriptive, yet you like that.
Wed 12/09/01 at 15:15
Yes, some of it was undoubtedly superb. But I also believe at times it seemed to go nowhere and was thoroughly over descriptive.

Plus I was joking when I said that "I'll wait for the film" was a quote designed for this book.
I thought it'd be fun to go over the top and prompt a responce!

At least I read LOTR before condeming it, not that i actually do condemn it. The film looks like it will be good!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.