GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Disappointed"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/12/03 at 17:00
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Today on the way home from work I picked up a second hand copy of Viewtiful Joe. I've been looking forward to this game for a while, it looks really playable, just my sort of game.

Now having played it, I'm left feeling a bit deflated to be honest :O/ I keep looking at this character Joe and wishing he could do so much more stuff. He runs really slowly, he can't block, his range of moves seems limited in some ways and arbritrary in others - what's the difference between punching and kicking? Why not just have an 'Attack' button? It got better as I got used to it, but I expected this game to grip me by the throat from the get-go, not have me wondering what else I could be doing after half an hours play. Anyone else get this?

Even worse is that yesterday, my girlfriend came home with Medal of Honour: Allied Assault for the Cube. It's not the sort of game I'd buy myself, but it was cheap, so what the hell. We didn't get time to play it last night, so I slotted it in after an hour or so on VJ. What a bland, barren mess of a game. I despise first-person shooters on consoles, none moreso than MoHAA - I lost all interest in playing the game literally right after I ran up to the captain and couldn't hear what he was saying. I wandered around the beachfront trying to shoot my own soldiers until I got killed by the Germans. I don't know if I'm just disillusioned at the moment, but I've just played two new GC games that stink. If F-Zero sucks like this, I will bin my Cube :O|

Any of you bought games with high expectations only to have them let down when you actually play the thing?
Thu 04/12/03 at 22:36
"slightlyshortertagl"
F-Zero GX sucks.

*waits to be attacked*
Thu 04/12/03 at 22:47
Regular
Well I love F-Zero GX, but I certainly wouldn't give Mario Kart anything more than 8/10. It really was a textbook disappointment and I just can't believe anyone who tells me they were completely satisfied with it.

I'm sorry, but look at the battle levels!
Fri 05/12/03 at 01:42
Regular
Glad i got Viewtiful its hard, hectic and brilliant!
Fri 05/12/03 at 02:00
Regular
"everyone says it"
He runs slow...

...you are obviously still on the first level.
Fri 05/12/03 at 10:16
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> Well I love F-Zero GX, but I certainly wouldn't give Mario Kart
> anything more than 8/10. It really was a textbook disappointment and
> I just can't believe anyone who tells me they were completely
> satisfied with it.
>
> I'm sorry, but look at the battle levels!

No I'm overally impressed. Best Mario Kart to date.
Fri 05/12/03 at 10:28
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I know exactly what you mean about Medal of Honor: FRONTLINE!

I remember getting this game some-months-back as a GAD prize, expecting it to be `something specialŽ after reading and hearing so-much about it from people who had already played it on the PS.2.

Now, I know it suffers a fair-bit as a "port" to the GameCube, but after failing several times to even try and "understand" that very first mission, I haven't even touched this game since!

I remember running up to that bloke, also, as he had to tell me where to go next... I understood what he said, and did as I was told - but he was still telling me I was going the wrong way, even though I was heading in the 'right' direction! And, because of it, I died, and developed a big grudge for this game!

But it's still one I'd `likeŽ to have completed at some point in the future - even if that means using an Action Replay for an Invincibility cheat to help me until I find out where exactly he does-and-doesn't want me to go!

But I haven't tried Viewtiful Joe yet. I've been looking forward to it for a long while now, but I really want to finish Skies of Arcadia Legends, first. And I must admit, this was one game that didn't instantly have me 'hooked' either - despite what I had read. But once I had a better understanding of it all, and knew how everything worked, I came to love this RPG like any other. And it now goes right-up-there, with Zelda! :)
Fri 05/12/03 at 11:20
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I cannot believe Frontline was called one of the best games on PS2 when it appeared. Or something like that.

Ridiculous.
Fri 05/12/03 at 11:56
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
It was a very immersive experience - amazing with surround sound. I would still say it's the best FPS game I've ever played, but I don't like the genre.
Fri 05/12/03 at 12:02
"Darkness, always"
The PS2 version is shockingly poor.
Fri 05/12/03 at 12:04
Regular
I hate all Medal of Honour games. Although I really want Rising Sun, simply because it's an FPS.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.