GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Disappointed"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/12/03 at 17:00
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Today on the way home from work I picked up a second hand copy of Viewtiful Joe. I've been looking forward to this game for a while, it looks really playable, just my sort of game.

Now having played it, I'm left feeling a bit deflated to be honest :O/ I keep looking at this character Joe and wishing he could do so much more stuff. He runs really slowly, he can't block, his range of moves seems limited in some ways and arbritrary in others - what's the difference between punching and kicking? Why not just have an 'Attack' button? It got better as I got used to it, but I expected this game to grip me by the throat from the get-go, not have me wondering what else I could be doing after half an hours play. Anyone else get this?

Even worse is that yesterday, my girlfriend came home with Medal of Honour: Allied Assault for the Cube. It's not the sort of game I'd buy myself, but it was cheap, so what the hell. We didn't get time to play it last night, so I slotted it in after an hour or so on VJ. What a bland, barren mess of a game. I despise first-person shooters on consoles, none moreso than MoHAA - I lost all interest in playing the game literally right after I ran up to the captain and couldn't hear what he was saying. I wandered around the beachfront trying to shoot my own soldiers until I got killed by the Germans. I don't know if I'm just disillusioned at the moment, but I've just played two new GC games that stink. If F-Zero sucks like this, I will bin my Cube :O|

Any of you bought games with high expectations only to have them let down when you actually play the thing?
Wed 03/12/03 at 21:42
Regular
Frontline does suck...

Viewtiful Joe on the other hand does not. Honestly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not Mario Kart hmmmm? Far superior game to everything released this Christmas.
Wed 03/12/03 at 21:47
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Miserableman wrote:
> A_Spoon wrote:
> i think he is a fool, i think he hasnt played on it long enough so
> he
> cant know anything about it, but i havnt played it.
>
> I was expecting Viewtiful Joe to be the sort of game that I wouldn't
> be able to stop playing until it was history, but the control system
> just doesnt seem that fluent. To cap it all off, the graphics aren't
> all the good either :O/

Muh? BUH? CUH?! Controls are fine and elegant, and there are way more moves than you think with the differing VFX powers. The graphics rule-io! Sure they are comic book, but they certainly aren't bad by any means.

HENSHIN AGO-GO BABY!

>
> And yes, I guess it was Frontline, not Allied Assault. It still sucks
> :O/

Everybody agress with you there, at least.
Wed 03/12/03 at 21:48
Regular
Cyclone said it really... Viewtiful Joe is a beautiful game and harnesses thousands of Gamecube's inbuilt special effects. It is a fantastic game aimed at the hardcore gamer. Not happy about the difficulty of the title though... I don't have time to try games loads of times they just end up on the shelf.
Thu 04/12/03 at 09:19
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Dringo wrote:
> Why not Mario Kart hmmmm? Far superior game to everything released
> this Christmas.

There are certain games I can't buy right now as I may be duplicating other peoples Christmas presents :O) I'm desperate to get F-Zero but I expect someone may already have bought it for me.
Thu 04/12/03 at 09:38
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Cyclone wrote:
> Muh? BUH? CUH?! Controls are fine and elegant, and there are way more
> moves than you think with the differing VFX powers. The graphics
> rule-io! Sure they are comic book, but they certainly aren't bad by
> any means.

No, the graphics aren't bad, and I commend Capcom for trying a different style. My biggest gripe at the moment is the lack of pulling power the game has - I have no incentive to reload it (other than trying to justify the £30 I spent on it..) and every time I get to that damned helicopter the damage system seems pretty arbritrary, sometimes I die just by standing on top, other times I can cling on for ten seconds or more before some unseen force pushes me off.

> HENSHIN AGO-GO BABY!

Anyone else find Joe's character extremely annoying :O| I usually love exuberant or kiddie characters, the sort others find irritating, but Joe really gets under my skin.

Anyway, another purpose for this thread was for you lot to rant about the games that haven't lived up to YOUR expectations.
Thu 04/12/03 at 11:06
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Joe rules.

Are you on the first helicopter?

Because if so you have done absoloutely nothing in the game.
Thu 04/12/03 at 11:45
Regular
You just need to master the VFX moves to really appreciate it - the Helicopter is annoying at first, but once you realise how to beat it you'll really start to enjoy it. If you don't keep with you'll regret it.
Thu 04/12/03 at 11:49
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Rebel Strike didn't. Even the flying levels, the ships were clumsy and awkward to control. It didn't feel like a swoopy space shooter.
Thu 04/12/03 at 20:42
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Why not Mario Kart hmmmm? Far superior game to everything released
> this Christmas.

Nah, I'd disagree. I can think of many titles, including Project Gotham Racing 2, Prince of Persia and F-Zero GX which are in fact better games.

It's great fun, but overhyped and flawed.
Thu 04/12/03 at 22:14
Regular
I'm actually surprised how good Mario Kart: Double Dash!! is. I was never really looking forward to; just expecting another disappointing title by Nintendo, but the Time Trials are superb, along with the level design, multiplayer and 1-player mode.

I was more disappointed with F-Zero. Not sure why, just didn't grip me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.