GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Disappointed"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/12/03 at 17:00
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Today on the way home from work I picked up a second hand copy of Viewtiful Joe. I've been looking forward to this game for a while, it looks really playable, just my sort of game.

Now having played it, I'm left feeling a bit deflated to be honest :O/ I keep looking at this character Joe and wishing he could do so much more stuff. He runs really slowly, he can't block, his range of moves seems limited in some ways and arbritrary in others - what's the difference between punching and kicking? Why not just have an 'Attack' button? It got better as I got used to it, but I expected this game to grip me by the throat from the get-go, not have me wondering what else I could be doing after half an hours play. Anyone else get this?

Even worse is that yesterday, my girlfriend came home with Medal of Honour: Allied Assault for the Cube. It's not the sort of game I'd buy myself, but it was cheap, so what the hell. We didn't get time to play it last night, so I slotted it in after an hour or so on VJ. What a bland, barren mess of a game. I despise first-person shooters on consoles, none moreso than MoHAA - I lost all interest in playing the game literally right after I ran up to the captain and couldn't hear what he was saying. I wandered around the beachfront trying to shoot my own soldiers until I got killed by the Germans. I don't know if I'm just disillusioned at the moment, but I've just played two new GC games that stink. If F-Zero sucks like this, I will bin my Cube :O|

Any of you bought games with high expectations only to have them let down when you actually play the thing?
Sat 20/12/03 at 01:34
Regular
Although I did get bored of GTA's apparent freedom (there is always more to be done) I did enjoy the game vastly when I did. It created a few of those great gaming moments.

Without a doubt the best game on the PS2.

But give me Pikmin anyday.

And as small as Pikmin levels were, they were very well done.

As I say Map Generator, Multiplayer, new pikmin, more freedom with no universal time limit, more training involved etc...

Pikmin 2 was the most shockingly overlooked game at ECTS and E3... this is why I believe Miyamoto has delayed its release in order to re-show it next year for a greater response.
Thu 18/12/03 at 22:25
Regular
Maveric sort of summed up everything I've been trying to say.

In reply to Lou, although the originals DID give you the same freedom, the birds-eye-view with it's micromachine cars and dot people didn't quite give them same effect.

Still good, but it wasn't until it was brought into full 3D that it started to seem like a real town.
And you knew EXACLTY what I meant! :-P
Thu 18/12/03 at 21:22
Regular
GTA 3 was an astounding game in the way that it's freedom was controlled by the player's imagination. No previous game had let you do that in 3D, and since then I can't recall any which have been as good.

Even Vice City was worse.
Thu 18/12/03 at 20:59
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Rickoss wrote:
> Vice City and GTA 3 are both great, but playing them you don't think
> "Wow, I'm playing one of the best games ever created."

Well, maybe some of us do.

:)
Thu 18/12/03 at 20:55
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Strafio wrote:
> GTA 3 would've gotten away with that though, because it was the first
> game that let you roam around a living breathing city at will.
> Just playing around with all the people and cars, and all the
> mini-quests...
>
> It was the sort of game where you could do what you liked, as you
> felt like it.
>
> That's what drove everyone crazy about it.

Well GTA on the PS1 was the first game to let you do that.

:)

I've played through all the GTA games and I've enjoyed them all. I don't care if they look rubbish in the visual/animation department, for me GTA has always been about gameplay. So when GTA3 came along I didn't buy it due to all of the hype or the new 3D cities, I just knew it would be fun to play.
Thu 18/12/03 at 11:03
Regular
"gsybe you!"
At least Freedom Fighters wears it's imbecility on it's sleave. GTA pretends to be clever and really isn't :D
Wed 17/12/03 at 22:57
Regular
Cyclone wrote:
> GTA is ridiculous.
>
> The city only exists where you exist - so therefore about 10 in-game
> metres before your face because the draw distances are miniscule.

And the effect works.
Mario 64 used a similar sort of technique.

> The 'mini quests' are either missions just with no hideous cut scene
> to watch or simply killing/collecting stuff. AGAIN! AND AGAIN AND
> AGAIN!

Yep, that's what mini-quests are, on ANY game.
Infact lots of games have that as their main objective.

> It is ugly as anything, the people have three different AI routines
> -
>
> 1) Walk
> 2) Run away
>
> or
>
> 3) Stand still and shoot until dead.

People react to what you do.
Yeah, it is fairly limited compared to real life, but not that many games have overly varied AI routines.

How about Pikmin?
Monster see Pikmin, monster go eat!

Or Windwaker?
Monster see link. Monster do "surprised look" and then attack.

> The sound tracks are good, but that is simply an aesthethic,
> typically Rockstar thing to do. The controls/animations are dire, as
> is the fact you have to stop to fire a gun. Fun.

Well yeah, the controls were pretty dire and I already said that.
But the thing is, although the controls were pretty poor, atleast DMA were trying to do something new, innoative, push boundaries, pull out all the stops to make a ground breaking game, despite it's flaws.

> Also insanely
> annoying is the whole clever-but-not-really attitude. 'Cherry
> Poppers', fake ice cream people selling drugs.

Most games are annoying that way, and besides, I've seen worse.
That Freedom Fighters game you sold me is full of the most blatant Bush brown nosing propaganda bull I have ever come across! :-D

> WOWOWOWOWO! HOW COOL, MAN!

"Let's raise the American flag!" :-D

So I ignore it and concentrate on the game.
Yeah GTA's controls were dire and the loading times annoying but those were the only flaws I could find with it.
The whole premise of being in the city and being able to do whatever you felt like was fantastic, and now even copycats like True Crime don't get that right.

DMA made the most ambitious game of this generation of consoles and were justly awarded with sales and critical acclaim.
The only Nintendo title that came close was Pikmin, which might've beaten it if they'd made a game, rather than a demo out of it.
Wed 17/12/03 at 22:45
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Actually errr Dan Pikmin is the closest you'll get on the Gamecube to
> one big playground.

Ahem.

Big?

Those levels were miscule, especially compared to GTA's sprawling cities.

> Shame the time-limit meant we couldn't enjoy it more.

And that as well.

> Killing enemies in various little ways, building bridges to new
> areas, making your Pikmin stronger, playing catch with the blue
> Pikmin in the water....

Well yeah.
I enjoyed the game, but once the puzzles were done and the main objectives complete, I spent one last hour playing with the enemies, fireworks and blue lifeguards, and then the novelty wore off.

> Ah the possibilities of the map generating, no time limit,
> multiplayer fun fest that Pikmin 2 will be.

That sounds a lot better.
Maybe now that Nintendo have sorted out the basic game mechanics/engine in their first games, perhaps they'll be able to concentrate on content in the sequels.
Mon 15/12/03 at 14:28
Regular
"gsybe you!"
GTA is ridiculous.

The city only exists where you exist - so therefore about 10 in-game metres before your face because the draw distances are miniscule.

The 'mini quests' are either missions just with no hideous cut scene to watch or simply killing/collecting stuff. AGAIN! AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!

It is ugly as anything, the people have three different AI routines -

1) Walk
2) Run away

or

3) Stand still and shoot until dead.

The sound tracks are good, but that is simply an aesthethic, typically Rockstar thing to do. The controls/animations are dire, as is the fact you have to stop to fire a gun. Fun. Also insanely annoying is the whole clever-but-not-really attitude. 'Cherry Poppers', fake ice cream people selling drugs.

WOWOWOWOWO! HOW COOL, MAN!
Mon 15/12/03 at 14:21
Regular
Actually errr Dan Pikmin is the closest you'll get on the Gamecube to one big playground.

Shame the time-limit meant we couldn't enjoy it more.

Killing enemies in various little ways, building bridges to new areas, making your Pikmin stronger, playing catch with the blue Pikmin in the water....

Ah the possibilities of the map generating, no time limit, multiplayer fun fest that Pikmin 2 will be.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.