GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"N5 Confirmed to be backwards compatabile!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/12/03 at 15:49
Regular
"thursdayton!"
"In an interview with Famitsu, the head of Nintendo, Satoru Iwata has stated the N5 will have backwards compatibility.
"It will be able to use the games already created in the previous generation. And it is something that will work. Side performances and graphics, one reached today a kind of limit with a quality which is already close to realism and it will be difficult to still much better do. The role of Nintendo is thus to study other ways in order to improve the experience of the player." - Cube-Europe.

A great move by Nintendo in my opinion, people who sell their Cube's to raise the cash for the N5 will still be able to play their old games, and those new to Nintendo can play older games without having to buy a Cube as well.
Wed 31/12/03 at 02:11
Regular
Psyİho Fox wrote:
> djerrud_Quince wrote:
> I say the controller should just be a wavebird with a bigger D-Pad
> and
> maybe a Z button on the left side as well.
>
> I suppose you are one of these die hard D-pad fans I've heard so much
> about? Well I don't think they are nessecary anymore, they are only
> used on GB(A)'s and are not needed at all in most games as some
> simple trick in some games that are not needed to complete the game.

I think he just wants a bigger D-Pad, it's absolutely tiny, but is still used in many games,

The C-stick should be a bit bigger too, my hands are huge, and although I can still use it with relative ease, people with sub-uber-hand-eye-coordination like almost everyone bar myself may find it a bit fiddly.
Wed 31/12/03 at 10:16
"The Will of D."
maddmun wrote:
> Psyİho Fox wrote:
> djerrud_Quince wrote:
> I say the controller should just be a wavebird with a bigger D-Pad
> and
> maybe a Z button on the left side as well.
>
> I suppose you are one of these die hard D-pad fans I've heard so
> much
> about? Well I don't think they are nessecary anymore, they are only
> used on GB(A)'s and are not needed at all in most games as some
> simple trick in some games that are not needed to complete the game.
>
> I think he just wants a bigger D-Pad, it's absolutely tiny, but is
> still used in many games,

Like Taunts in SSBM? Useless.
Wed 31/12/03 at 13:32
Regular
Psyİho Fox wrote:
> Like Taunts in SSBM? Useless.

Or the quick change of weapons required in Timesplitters 2 which can result in death if you're not fast enough, or maybe you need to recall Biggs and Wedge in Rogue Leaderbut your finger can't actually find the correct direction as the d-pad is so retardedly small.
Wed 31/12/03 at 13:32
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Strafio wrote:
"When I was at 6th form, we got past the restrictions and managed to download some Snes and Megadrive emulators. And people loved the classic games, even people who never usually played games."
-----

We were trying to do the exact-same thing in an IT lesson at college, only a couple of weeks ago! :D

What's more, all the PS.2-owning "idotz" seemed to love games like Streets of Rage and even the original Super Mario Bros. They may go and play Grand Theft Auto or something, as soon as they get home; but just for that one-lesson, at least, Mario games were "Mint", amongst today's 16-year-olds.

One kid even shouted out "I wanna play Donkey Kong!! I loves dat game!"

:D
Sat 03/01/04 at 01:59
Regular
"Bond - James Bond"
Strafio wrote:
> I say that someone start a petition where they put in a Snes, Nes, N64
> and GBA (which also covers GBC and GB) slots in too.
>
> The N64 especially. Four player games on Conker and Perfect Dark
> where the pads don't wear down and you don't get slowdown no matter
> how many simulants you use! :-)
>
> Infact, if they were clever then they could build all this into one
> slot.
>
> The most complex goes at the bottom and is covered by a lid.
> When closed, this lid plugs into the slot and has a slot of it's own
> on top... a bit like the Super Game Boy if you remember...
>
> When you put a game in, you choose which slot you want to open (all
> will have their own opening from the top, afterall, it would be a
> pain to have to open all the others to get to the bottom one) and put
> the game in.

There is no need for it. Better options are that Nintendo publishes a software for running old N64 games, you send your old cartridges to Nintendo and they give you the binary version on a cd. So that you may run the game on N5
Also, you can try out emulation. All te first three consoles of Nintendo are emulated. I play my old NES, SNES and N64 games on my PC trough emulation programs. There are plenty ems fr XBOX and PS2, but not many for cube. If N5 has some kind of flashing device or a place where we can add our own programs like N64, every body would be able to play old N64 NES and SNES games even though they dont actually own it.
> This was probably a really bad explanation of what I meant (which
> could probably only be described by a drawing) but if you're familiar
> with the Super Gameboy then you'll know what I mean.
Sat 03/01/04 at 14:34
Regular
"You! Obey the fist!"
Dharav wrote:
> There is no need for it. Better options are that Nintendo publishes a
> software for running old N64 games, you send your old cartridges to
> Nintendo and they give you the binary version on a cd. So that you
> may run the game on N5

this will NEVER happen.
this is just a less cost-effective version of the current zelda bonus disks

it would cost both nintendo and the consumer too much money, the postage alone, then there is the time and effort needed to make the custom made disks for people.
Thu 08/01/04 at 16:58
Regular
They call it the Ique.
Thu 08/01/04 at 18:13
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Which apparently is doing rather well.. It has no competitors as no other company thought up a piracy-proof system for the copying-crazy reigon like Ninty did.
Thu 08/01/04 at 19:27
Regular
"??????"
This thing about N5 being backwards compatible...does that mean it will support NES, SNES, N64 and GC games?
Thu 08/01/04 at 19:32
Regular
"You! Obey the fist!"
from what has been said, the N5 backwards compatibility is only for gamecube games.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.