GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"N5 Confirmed to be backwards compatabile!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/12/03 at 15:49
Regular
"thursdayton!"
"In an interview with Famitsu, the head of Nintendo, Satoru Iwata has stated the N5 will have backwards compatibility.
"It will be able to use the games already created in the previous generation. And it is something that will work. Side performances and graphics, one reached today a kind of limit with a quality which is already close to realism and it will be difficult to still much better do. The role of Nintendo is thus to study other ways in order to improve the experience of the player." - Cube-Europe.

A great move by Nintendo in my opinion, people who sell their Cube's to raise the cash for the N5 will still be able to play their old games, and those new to Nintendo can play older games without having to buy a Cube as well.
Fri 26/12/03 at 23:36
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Roobo wrote:
> i doubt that the n5 will hav dvd compatability. think about it, the
> hole in the middle of the gc discs is much smaller then the ones on
> dvds or cds. and since the n5 is defenatly gonna be backward
> compatable, the little thing you stick the discs on is gonna have to
> be the right size for gc discs. that means that dvds wont stay on it,
> unless theres so sort of clever size changing middle bit. thats a
> very bad explanation od what i mean but you should get the general
> gist.

The hole is the same damn size.

Utter fool.

> any way, what sort of fare weather ninty are you? casual gamers
> *moks the inferiorness of 'casual gamers' to that of the true hc
> gamers*

Excuse me? "Fair-weather Ninty?" I'd have a good guess and say I'm a bigger fan than you, but it's childish to argue over who's the bigger fan, so just accept that it's me :)

As for the DVD capabilites, I still think it's needed. So what everyone if everyone does have a DVD player? Having an extra one is convienient and whatever people say, a console without the DVD option *will not sell as well* because punters will see it as inferior.

And the controller? Well it'd say it's better than the PS2 and Xbox (yeh, including the S-controller too). Maybe it's because I've gotten used to it because I play Cube more than anything, but it's certainly the most comfortable to hold. Sure the D-pad and Z-button needs improving, which I hope Nintendo do, but I hope you can use your Pad/Wavebird in the N5. I mean, the N5 pad probably won't have any extra buttons just a different design, so the Cube versions could still be used. I hope so.. I paid enough for 4 controllers.. and then a wavebird.
Sat 27/12/03 at 11:43
Regular
The hole is the same size.

You can play GC sized DVD's on a DVD player they are given away with CUBE magazine.

Not to mention the fact that by the time the Gamecube is released most people will have a DVD player (those who buy consoles anyway) and so the effect that extra had on the PS2 would be tiny this time around.
Sat 27/12/03 at 11:45
Regular
Oh and the D-pad is small because it isn't needed anymore and only there to please the die hard D-pad fans of retro-gaming.

It should remain small.
Sat 27/12/03 at 13:00
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Ah. That's good news, then.

I was worried, before, about how the "N5" could be released too soon; meaning I would still have all these un-finished GameCube games that would end-up like the 15-odd N64 ones I still have to do!

But, if I can still play them on the new console - even if it is released next-year - I will always have the chance to finish them. :)

And it's true, DVD-players don't really count for anything, anymore.
When the PS.2 and X-Box first came around with them, it was quite a `big-thing´. But now, it seems to me that even people with these consoles are willing to buy a "proper" DVD-player, anyway, just for the sake of all the things they can do and play, now, compared to then.

Why should Nintendo waste their time when DVD-capabillities are so-fast becoming "SOOO-last-year!"? :)

I'd still like some kind of hard-drive, though. If only so I could play my own music through some of the multi-format games (like Box-owners can), infact...
Sat 27/12/03 at 13:19
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I say the controller should just be a wavebird with a bigger D-Pad and maybe a Z button on the left side as well.
Tue 30/12/03 at 20:08
"The Will of D."
djerrud_Quince wrote:
> I say the controller should just be a wavebird with a bigger D-Pad and
> maybe a Z button on the left side as well.

I suppose you are one of these die hard D-pad fans I've heard so much about? Well I don't think they are nessecary anymore, they are only used on GB(A)'s and are not needed at all in most games as some simple trick in some games that are not needed to complete the game.
Tue 30/12/03 at 20:11
"The Will of D."
dooz2k2 wrote:
> tphi wrote:
> How many still play NES games? Hardly any.

> loads of people in my year play on the SNES in our 6th form
> common room, its very popular.

My God, there are actually some schools that allow the concept of FUN into their walls, if only it were true here at my 6th form.
Tue 30/12/03 at 20:26
Regular
"gsybe you!"
We had a SNES for a day or two.

One could quite easily take in a console and controllers, and people would play it.
Tue 30/12/03 at 20:36
Regular
tphi wrote:
> Surprise! You play SNES games cos you're a Ninty, right?

Not at all.
When I was at 6th form, we got past the restrictions and managed to download some Snes and Megadrive emulators.
And people loved the classic games, even people who never usually played games.

In fact, a lot of people who are casual gamers now played Snes and N64 games when they were "kids".
Nostalgia sells! :-P
Tue 30/12/03 at 22:17
"The Will of D."
Cyclone wrote:
> We had a SNES for a day or two.
>
> One could quite easily take in a console and controllers, and people
> would play it.

but our head of sixth form doesn't allow us to have a TV in the common room, so there would be no point in bring a console except for Gameboys.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.