GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Internet Dropout"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/02/07 at 08:47
Regular
I have recently swapped over from Tiscali because of their awful customer service I chose Freeola on recommends. Anyway, Since joining Freeola, I noticed that the internet always used to drop about 5:30am every morning. This was no big deal just a re-start of the router (Netgear DG834GT) and off to work. Sometimes, it would have dropped out, sometime during the day, by the time I came home in the evening.

However, This week, I have a couple days off and yesterday I found the true nature of this problem. The Internet had dropped off before I got up and continued to drop at 5 to 15 minute intervals for most of the morning. getting more stable around mid-day until I had a uninterrupted service for the rest of the day and evening.

The drop-out appears as a inability to connect to websites, on-line games and emails etc. However, sometimes the router gives every indication that is is still connected, physically, to the Internet (lights and, sometimes even, status screen) but no connection to website etc is possible.

I must admit, that at first, I was looking at the router as the source of the trouble. However, with the return to 'normal service' in the afternoons and evenings rules this out.

I notice a few other people with the same problem - on this and other forums. So, please help, I am a bit twitchy having moved from one appalling service from Tiscali to find problems with this one.
Wed 21/03/07 at 19:26
Regular
Twice is the last 10 mins I have had to reboot, Internet just DIES 19.26 hrs
Wed 21/03/07 at 17:35
Regular
loki wrote:
>
> Does the problem keep happening if you restart the router, or
> does that seem to fix it. Have you had this problem at specific
> times, or does it happen all day?

If I restart the the router it clears the problem for a while but it returns, Daytime seems no problem at all, evenings after 6pm is when its at its worst up to about 10pm (after that I am in bed unless at work) when at work I finish at 1AM and in the last 2 weeks the service has been slow and intermittent then (2am) but during the day we are flying along at between 7 and 7.5MB as we are near to our exchange.

Kev
Wed 21/03/07 at 15:40
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Digitrader wrote:
> Hi Loki last night was dissmal again like Steve its saying we are
> connected but its red crosses all the way on outlook express and
> page cannot be displayed in IE
>
> Kev

Does the problem keep happening if you restart the router, or does that seem to fix it. Have you had this problem at specific times, or does it happen all day?
Wed 21/03/07 at 09:30
Regular
Hi Loki last night was dissmal again like Steve its saying we are connected but its red crosses all the way on outlook express and page cannot be displayed in IE

Kev
Wed 21/03/07 at 03:40
Regular
loki wrote:
> Yes, I've noticed a change this week. It could be the BT
> engineering work and I know there were some stability with the
> xDSL equipment that should now have been resolved.
>
> There has also been some additional bandwidth added to the
> network this week, so I'll be interested to see how it goes for
> you over the next day or two.

Was going to send an email to support about this issue, but instead will leave a message here.
The problem mentioned is also affecting my connection. I use my connection mostly at night as I do shift work. My connection stops between 5 & 6am. every day. The line is not disconnected it just stops working. The icon in the tray still flashes to show the connection is live, but nothing is up or downloading. If I disconnect & then reconnect sometimes it will work again for a few minutes then stop again. Often I have to restart the computer to get the line to reconnect.
Hope this problem is soon sorted out as I am very happy with the service provided in general.
Tue 20/03/07 at 16:49
Regular
we will keep you posted cheers
Tue 20/03/07 at 16:46
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Yes, I've noticed a change this week. It could be the BT engineering work and I know there were some stability with the xDSL equipment that should now have been resolved.

There has also been some additional bandwidth added to the network this week, so I'll be interested to see how it goes for you over the next day or two.
Tue 20/03/07 at 11:55
Regular
Hi Loki
Thanks for that, I have no dropout issues in the mornings its seems just to be evenings and very late night that its affecting me, its like the bad old days on dial up when it all ground to a halt when everyone rushed on after tea. I thought Broadband would have eradicated that problem, I mean after all when we pay £25 a month for broadband and I can have dial up for £14.99 and just now the speeds in the evening are just as good (or bad) as dial up was, it has been just this last week or so with me thats been really bad though, so perhaps its BT? who knows but am sure it will clear in time.

Kev
Tue 20/03/07 at 10:40
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Sorry to hear the problems you're having. I have also experienced some occassional dropouts but in the last week, but believe these may be separate from the 'morning dropout' issue. Our technical partners are aware of the stabilty issues and are investigating with BT.

There may also be some effects from planned BT engineering work going on this month. Details can be found on the Network Status page.
Tue 20/03/07 at 00:21
Regular
"Game Addict"
Hi
Im in almost the exact same boat as most of you

Ex Tiscali (Man, They were awfull!!!)
Moved to freeola
Netgear DG834G router
Multiple dropouts during the course of the day

This leaves me with several problems, such as being booted from 90% of games on Xbox live, people moaning in the house because pages keep failing to load up for a while and also i find that when i reconect, ports dont always seem to open back up correctly, which is a hastle for xbox live and P2P because i end up with little or no conectivity, and have to power cycle everything.

The problem seems to be getting worse aswell, and i sincerly hope that it gets sorted out soon, because minus the dropouts, Freeola is an Awsome ISP with god customer support and fair tarrifs (None of that "UNLIMITED" usage *cough* fair usage *cough* policy Bullsh*t)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.