GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Internet Dropout"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/02/07 at 08:47
Regular
I have recently swapped over from Tiscali because of their awful customer service I chose Freeola on recommends. Anyway, Since joining Freeola, I noticed that the internet always used to drop about 5:30am every morning. This was no big deal just a re-start of the router (Netgear DG834GT) and off to work. Sometimes, it would have dropped out, sometime during the day, by the time I came home in the evening.

However, This week, I have a couple days off and yesterday I found the true nature of this problem. The Internet had dropped off before I got up and continued to drop at 5 to 15 minute intervals for most of the morning. getting more stable around mid-day until I had a uninterrupted service for the rest of the day and evening.

The drop-out appears as a inability to connect to websites, on-line games and emails etc. However, sometimes the router gives every indication that is is still connected, physically, to the Internet (lights and, sometimes even, status screen) but no connection to website etc is possible.

I must admit, that at first, I was looking at the router as the source of the trouble. However, with the return to 'normal service' in the afternoons and evenings rules this out.

I notice a few other people with the same problem - on this and other forums. So, please help, I am a bit twitchy having moved from one appalling service from Tiscali to find problems with this one.
Tue 03/04/07 at 15:34
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Hi Digitrader,

We've been looking closely at this issue and I, for one, have not been affected over the last few days. Would you be like to temporarily switched to a dedicated test account (we'll just need you to change your login username and password)?

Then we can monitor your problems more closely and test your account settings directly in an attempt to find out what's happening.
Sat 31/03/07 at 09:56
Regular
Well last night was horrendous! every 5 mins the internet would die! it had been a good week up till last night why does that happen?
Mon 26/03/07 at 05:02
Regular
Morning Loki
Just an update for you the evening internet has been good the last couple of days (touch wood) but this morning (4.30) till now 5am I could not get online it said I was connected but pages would not load and the dreaded RED CROSS of death from outlook express then all of a suddenly it works but for no reason? I think the Freeola Janitor is messing with the system at night when you lot are all tucked up in bed
Fri 23/03/07 at 09:51
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Yes, when you get those six numbers I'm sure we'll be generous!

I'm also doing terribly badly at the bingo so far. The PHP function that generates the random numbers certainly isn't smiling on me.
Thu 22/03/07 at 20:29
Regular
Loki (seriously:-)
what happens if I win the bingo and cant claim first as my connection died at the crucial point!? surely am disatvantaged slightly here, I would look upon freeola to look kindly at my claim if it ever happens, not looking good this week for a win still waiting on 6 numbers! who picks our cards anyway?

Kev
Thu 22/03/07 at 15:53
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
There is certainly some BT Engineering work going on at the moment so that could be a factor. And we are absolutely sure that this is not a problem limited to Freeola accounts - we have had confirmation that it is also affecting others ISPs' customers.

It is something that our wholesale providers are looking into, it's just a case of continuing to pass them details until they get the issue resolved, I'm afraid. Sorry, I wish we could do more ourselves or explain the definite cause but at the moment we are waiting for information too.
Thu 22/03/07 at 15:41
Regular
Hi

I have also been experiencing the 5:30am dropout for a few months now. Until now, I thought it was just a problem with my router (Netgear DG834G) I thought that was causing it but after reading this I realise that it is not just me experiencing this.

To temporarily solve this problem I was using a plug-in timer (the type that is used for house lights for example) and I set this up to turn my router off and on again in the morning but this week it has been dropping out after this but I don't know the exact time. I leave to go to college quite early in the morning so I am not at home when it happens.

All my college work is stored on my server at home so that I can access it from anywhere but then when my internet drops out and there is no one at home to reboot the router it does cause me some trouble when I can't access my work.

I also experience a partial dropout at midnight every night, which has been happening for a very long time now. This only seems to affect my IM programs like MSN and Yahoo and it signs me out at midnight but the rest of the internet works fine, it just seems to be IM software that disconnects at midnight.

I will log a call with the techies later just to let them know that it is happening to me too.

Just another thing, I live just next-door to the BT exchange and I have noticed that there has been a lot of BT vans doing something in there for the last few weeks so I don't know if they are trying to fix it or not but it seems to be getting worse not better.
Thu 22/03/07 at 11:34
Regular
Cheers Loki, I have been up into our local town today I live in a village, and it would appear that several of my friends all on differant ISPs are all experiancing slow speeds and no service at times in the evenings just now so it may well be that its a BT problem in this area?

Kev
Thu 22/03/07 at 09:39
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Thanks for that. One of our Systems Team is going to talk to our technical partners today regarding your feedback. I am hoping to find out whether this is symptomatic of a wider problem or whether it is limited to yours and a few other accounts. My connection last night seemed stable and relatively fast (with only a barely noticable speed decrease as peak hours commenced). I'll let you know when I hear back from my colleague.
Thu 22/03/07 at 08:36
Regular
Hi Loki
Rather than post every 5 mins or so here is a single post relating to last night.

Its started at about 7pm and every 5 to 15 mins approx it just grinds to a halt, I have two options I can reboot and connect to another pipe, and this works for a while, or do nothing and it will clear its self this takes between 2mins and 7 mins, during the day we have no trouble at all it never fails (kiss of death I fear) hope that helps your technical partners to resolve this issue.

Kev

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.