GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Internet Dropout"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/02/07 at 08:47
Regular
I have recently swapped over from Tiscali because of their awful customer service I chose Freeola on recommends. Anyway, Since joining Freeola, I noticed that the internet always used to drop about 5:30am every morning. This was no big deal just a re-start of the router (Netgear DG834GT) and off to work. Sometimes, it would have dropped out, sometime during the day, by the time I came home in the evening.

However, This week, I have a couple days off and yesterday I found the true nature of this problem. The Internet had dropped off before I got up and continued to drop at 5 to 15 minute intervals for most of the morning. getting more stable around mid-day until I had a uninterrupted service for the rest of the day and evening.

The drop-out appears as a inability to connect to websites, on-line games and emails etc. However, sometimes the router gives every indication that is is still connected, physically, to the Internet (lights and, sometimes even, status screen) but no connection to website etc is possible.

I must admit, that at first, I was looking at the router as the source of the trouble. However, with the return to 'normal service' in the afternoons and evenings rules this out.

I notice a few other people with the same problem - on this and other forums. So, please help, I am a bit twitchy having moved from one appalling service from Tiscali to find problems with this one.
Tue 13/02/07 at 08:47
Regular
I have recently swapped over from Tiscali because of their awful customer service I chose Freeola on recommends. Anyway, Since joining Freeola, I noticed that the internet always used to drop about 5:30am every morning. This was no big deal just a re-start of the router (Netgear DG834GT) and off to work. Sometimes, it would have dropped out, sometime during the day, by the time I came home in the evening.

However, This week, I have a couple days off and yesterday I found the true nature of this problem. The Internet had dropped off before I got up and continued to drop at 5 to 15 minute intervals for most of the morning. getting more stable around mid-day until I had a uninterrupted service for the rest of the day and evening.

The drop-out appears as a inability to connect to websites, on-line games and emails etc. However, sometimes the router gives every indication that is is still connected, physically, to the Internet (lights and, sometimes even, status screen) but no connection to website etc is possible.

I must admit, that at first, I was looking at the router as the source of the trouble. However, with the return to 'normal service' in the afternoons and evenings rules this out.

I notice a few other people with the same problem - on this and other forums. So, please help, I am a bit twitchy having moved from one appalling service from Tiscali to find problems with this one.
Thu 15/02/07 at 15:28
Regular
Hi.
I too have a similar problem. I've been a Freeola customer for around 2 years and until early december 2006 had never had an issue. Then all of a sudden the line started to drop out around 5:30am every day. According to my router I was still connected and had an IP address. The log files state that the line drops then reconnects but there's not external communication. I contacted support and after several line checks it was dicovered with was a problem with the wholsalers and certain Freeola servers. This affected lots of users. This problem was corrected in late December but I still had the problem. It's been like this now for 3 months. I'm in constant communucation with there support team and I've been told that this issue affects a lot of users. I've also been told that it's due to an issue with there 'Patners' what ever that means? All I can suggest is that you log a call with there support team and say that your aware there's a general issue with this and to ask them to esculate to there management team. The more people that make some noise the quicker this will get resolved.
Sat 17/02/07 at 18:36
Regular
Ah! another weekend - more c**p service!!!

This internet drop-out is getting silly. Does it really take an over-paid techie to work-out that something you guys are doing to your service early mornings and week-ends is effecting some (correction - quite a few) of us?

I would have liked a moderator to reply to this thread - but I suppose they only reply to those that they have reasonable answers to.

If you think I am being confrontational - you are right. I left Tiscrappy because they played the "I can't see any problem even when more than 12k of our customers said there is" game. Only to find the previously well-respected Freeola service doing the self same thing.

Answers please
Sat 17/02/07 at 18:56
Regular
"Mad as a badger!"
We have been aware of this issue for sometime now, however it is affecting only a limited amount of our customers, and because of this, it does make diagnosing very difficult. We have only just been made aware however, that this is not just a Freeola fault, it is an issue with a few re-sellers of Entanet.

This has been with them for investigation since we have been aware of the fault, and it has also been raised to Freeola management and Entanet management to try and move this along in a faster manner.

As soon as we do hear anything else from this we will be updating these pages straight away.

If you have not already notified us of this fault on your account, please either call us on 0871 210 9977, or e-mail us via our 'help & support' pages.

Our apologies for this inconvenience, we are doing our best to resolve this in the quickest possible time.
Sun 25/02/07 at 10:45
Regular
ANOTHER WEEKEND, MORE MORNING DROPOUTS...

Yes, I have changed the filters

Yes, I have disconnected everything that was likely to use the phone line: Sky box, wireless phone, fridge etc.

Yes, I have got my router plugged into my 'main' telephone socket.

Yes, I have checked my router settings.

Yes, I have switched off my router and rebooted - this is theonly way I can restore your service.

No, I have not tried another router/modem - do not have one and do not want to spend 2 months worth of ISP rental to get one. I will gladly accept a free modem - in the name of giving better feedback to you, of course :)

But, still I get dropouts early mornings(5am-6am)and weekend mornings up to...looks at watch..10:45am at least.
Sun 25/02/07 at 14:14
Regular
ANOTHER WEEKEND, MORE MORNING DROPOUTS...

Correction: Sunday, it is now gone 2pm and I am still getting dropouts.
Sun 25/02/07 at 16:43
"Are you sure?"
Hi - While you're waiting for Freeola Support to respond, it would be worth checking the version of firmware you are running in your router.

I use the Netgear DG834 (the non-wireless version of yours)- by installing the latest firmware I managed to improve my stability and now it's very rare for my connection to drop. I don't leave my router on 24/7 so don't see the 5am problem, but it sounds like you are having problems during the day as well.

Your firmware should be version 1.02.04, if it's not then I recommend you update it.

Let us know how you get on...
Mon 26/02/07 at 09:55
Regular
Thanks for info and good suggestion "Hmmm" However, first thing I did - when it seemed to be the router in the frame for the problem - was to check I had latest version (V1.02.04).

Thinking on, this router worked - or rather - did not give this problem on my previous ISP. I had problems due to Tiscali throttling and restricting online gamers but that was totally different to this.

As intimated elsewhere in this thread, this appears to be a problem with most Entanet suppliers. I wonder if anyone knows a Entanet forum I could go and bug ¬_¬

Yes, I know I am being lazy in that last request, but it is Monday :)
Fri 16/03/07 at 16:31
Regular
Copy of message sent to "support" (ha!)

Freeola Support: Ticket Ref 132759

Well a humdinger of a day today - left for work this morning with Freeola's internet service dropping out every few minutes. Came home this evening to exactly the same thing :(

I know this problem only effects a small proportion of Freeola's client base, but is that any reason to ignore this annoying problem? Or say such things as "it is a problem with our broadband suppliers (ie Entanet?)" I have news for you - you are MY broadband supplier ie I pay you ..Sort it please
Fri 16/03/07 at 17:46
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
I can assure you that we are not ignoring this problem.

Unfortunately, the cause of the problem has been extremely hard to diagnose as it has not been possible to find a common factor between the small number of affected accounts. It is also true that the problem is affecting other ISPs and is not limited to Freeola customers or equipment. Engineers are continuing to work on finding the cause of the problem and we are continuing to press our technical partners to find a solution as soon as possible.

At this point I can only apologise for the delay in resolving this, I wish I had more information to share but I will keep you informed when we learn more.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.