GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Internet Dropout"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/02/07 at 08:47
Regular
I have recently swapped over from Tiscali because of their awful customer service I chose Freeola on recommends. Anyway, Since joining Freeola, I noticed that the internet always used to drop about 5:30am every morning. This was no big deal just a re-start of the router (Netgear DG834GT) and off to work. Sometimes, it would have dropped out, sometime during the day, by the time I came home in the evening.

However, This week, I have a couple days off and yesterday I found the true nature of this problem. The Internet had dropped off before I got up and continued to drop at 5 to 15 minute intervals for most of the morning. getting more stable around mid-day until I had a uninterrupted service for the rest of the day and evening.

The drop-out appears as a inability to connect to websites, on-line games and emails etc. However, sometimes the router gives every indication that is is still connected, physically, to the Internet (lights and, sometimes even, status screen) but no connection to website etc is possible.

I must admit, that at first, I was looking at the router as the source of the trouble. However, with the return to 'normal service' in the afternoons and evenings rules this out.

I notice a few other people with the same problem - on this and other forums. So, please help, I am a bit twitchy having moved from one appalling service from Tiscali to find problems with this one.
Sun 06/05/07 at 15:25
Regular
"Mad as a badger!"
We have made a bit of a developement with the morning drops. We have found that the large majority of the faults appear to be affecting Netgear routers of varying firmware versions. We are currently carrying out further testings on a few connections to see if anything can be found from this. As always we are pushing this through with Entanet on a regular basis and will let you know when we have further news on this.

Again our apologies for this on going fault.
Fri 04/05/07 at 13:45
Regular
I have a complicated setup here we use a conexant Modem Router (bought from Freeola years ago) and it feeds a BTVOYAGER wireless router to give a signal to our laptop, but we also have a feed going to a netgear hub that feeds two computers and another hub also a netgear hub that is feeding two computers, they are never all on at the same time thank god, before this dropout malarky started it was all grand and dandy and wizzy, then the dropouts started and you call freeola and you suspect your equipment, but the test connection confirmed that my eqipment is fine (thank goodnes) and as I say my old connection has flashes of brilliance at times so the fault in my opinion is with the connection, not directly a freeola problem? but as its them I pay its them that should resolve it with their technical partners in my opinion :-)
Fri 04/05/07 at 12:59
Regular
Thanks for the update Kev.

Hopefully loki will be able to provide some news soon?

NB.
My client is using a Netgear DG834v2 on the latest firmware (V3.01.31) but is having around 4 'drop-outs' a day.
Fri 04/05/07 at 12:49
Regular
Hi GWD
The test account did work yes it was brilliant and very fast and stable - how ever it closed with out any warning so we were off line for a night! I am now back on my original login and its not as fast! and still on occasion drops out!

Freeola as far as I am aware are still looking into this for me and it was left that they will be in touch with me when they get a resolution to this problem, its been a long time in comming though :-(

The test connection was really quick all the time no ups and downs at peak periods

Kev
Fri 04/05/07 at 11:56
Regular
Hello,
I have a client on Freeola adsl who also seems to be suffering from this problem.

We've just updated his router to the latest firmware but it doesn't seem to have helped.

Can anyone (Kev/Freeola) say if the 'test account' work resolved the problem?

I see on the status page that there is still an entry but thought I would ask to see what the latest is.

Thanks.
Sun 22/04/07 at 10:15
Regular
Well now! whilst I was at work last night some one sneeked along and murdered! the internet! killed it stone dead so they did, at approx 10pm but as I was at work I was unaware of this untill this morning! when my wife told me, she was most annoyed, so I said in time honoured Freeola fashion, "have you rebooted the router"? YES! i ***** have was the reply, thinking she will not have did it right I tried myself! and I can concur the internet is dead!

Call support, we tried a few things without luck, so then Mr Freeola said lets just try your original login detail! (as we were on a test connection) and like magic we are back on line the internet has been reserected. YIPEE!!

But it begs the question.... who killed the test connection? and why? and why did he / she ? not warn us to save my wife all that frustration of watching Sat night telly! she was less than pleased.

I feel a full investigation should be in order and the culprit/s? named and shamed and fined and do they know that local elections are happening soon!

Kev :~)
Wed 11/04/07 at 11:20
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
PeeJayEph, earlier in the thread I did offer you the option to be switched onto the test account. If you had replied when the question was asked, and had been switched to the test account for closer monitoring yourself, I hope you would not have have considered the testing to be stage-managed.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused, but we cannot resolve the issue until our technical partners have diagnosed the cause of the problem. There is not a button to fix the problem that we are stubbonly refusing to push. The problem is being investigated and the use of this test account is an important part of that process.
Wed 11/04/07 at 10:53
Regular
Well EXCUSE me! staged managed? where did that come from??

All I can say to you is that Bob sent me details for a test account, that I have been using now for almost a week and its only dropped out twice in that time, unlike pre test account.

There is NOTHING stage managed about this thread what so ever, things have got better and I am sure that things are getting done behind the scenes to resolve this issue for all affected, several other were offered a test conection at the same time as me, but I have no idea who took the offer up.

Being a moderator offers no extra sway with Tech support we have to wait just like you.

That said all freeola staff that I have spoke to on the phone now or in the past have always been friendly! and UK based.

Kev

PeeJayEph wrote:
> Meanwhile, back in the real world - away from this stage-managed
> "conversation" between 'Bob' the friendly Webmaster, a
> staff member and a moderator, obviously intended to convince
> people that:
>
> 1)Something is being done.
>
> 2)Things are only getting better.
>
Wed 11/04/07 at 10:13
Regular
Meanwhile, back in the real world - away from this stage-managed "conversation" between 'Bob' the friendly Webmaster, a staff member and a moderator, obviously intended to convince people that:

1)Something is being done.

2)Things are only getting better.

Anyway, as I said back in the real world - things have NOT got better. Drop-0ut continue early every morning. This morning they have continued right up to now...I will probably have to reboot the router to send this, somewhat jaundiced message ¬_¬
Wed 11/04/07 at 10:09
Regular
Thanks for your help Digi, hopefully with this info we can track down the cause of this problem.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.