GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XBOX Maintenance"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/01/04 at 16:42
Regular
Ok, I want to discuss a topic today, that is close to all our hearts - XBOX Maintenance :D

Early last year, my PS2 did the unthinkable and died at the tender young age of less than 2 years old. By 'died' I mean it stopped playing some of my DVDs, then all of my DVDs, then some of my games, and yes, finally pretty much all of my games. I didn't take it to bits as I'm not known for my patience and I envisaged a screwdriver being jammed in certain circuit boards if I couldn't fix it. It resides in my wardrobe, and will be fixed when I can be arshed.

So here I am, nearly a year later, with my 'new' XBOX, which I bought straight after the PS2 died, and what starts to happen? It starts to fail playing my DVDs.

I got my Back to the Future Trilogy this morning, so watched the second and third films, back to back. They worked fine, except there was a tiny forgivable 1 second glitch during both of them. So I stuck in one of those poxy lens cleaner things, just to see if it'd work. Anyhoo, I then stick in Back to the Future 1 to watch the out-takes, which works fine. I stick in BTTF2 to watch the out-takes from that, and it just sits there, and sits there. I stick in BTTF3, and it just sits there, and sits there. The discs are flawless, and I know they work fine as I watched them earlier. So I stick BTTF1 back in, and it just sits there.

What the hell? I really am losing all patience with consoles. I realise it may just be dirt on the lens, but short of taking it to pieces I can think of no other way to sort it out. So that's the point of this thread - do any of you know any techniques to clean the damn things, WITHOUT reducing it to its component parts first? Or have you had a similar experience with your XBOX and know what it is (e.g. overheating etc). I mentioned overheating, as I switched it off for 20mins, then back on again, and BTTF2 worked fine. After watching the out-takes, I reset the machine, and again it wouldn't read the disc.

How frikking infuriating. There are a few guides to taking the things to bits and cleaning them, but if I'm reduced to that after less than a year then I'm afraid that is nothing short of pathetic. Views?
Wed 07/01/04 at 21:13
Regular
Cheers for the input Lou, but if you read down the thread, you'll see that it now won't even recognise games. nothing works at all. Anyway, it's getting fixed for free.

Notorious - there's plenty of time for me to play you at PGR2, I look forward to a few good races. You never seem to be on when I am though. And yeah, I think I'll dust off the N64 and get some perfect dark action going. Although shooting AI people will never be as much fun, surely.
Wed 07/01/04 at 20:47
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Borat, it's probably just your DVD that's dodgy. I don't know if anyone's said this yet since I haven't read the full topic, but there was a whole batch of 'BTTF Trilogies' called back because one of the discs in the set was buggered up.

Check that it has 'V2' written on the cover or the disc, if it doesn't then take it back to wherever you got it and get it replaced with the new version.

The reason I know this is because I had a similar problem.
Wed 07/01/04 at 20:21
"I love yo... lamp."
And of course it was rather handy that it broke now wasn't it? Just as I was about to play you soon at PGR2 on Live. Coincidence?! I think not!
Wed 07/01/04 at 20:20
"I love yo... lamp."
ßora† SagdiyeV wrote:

> No XBOX or DVDs for a week, what'll I do???

N64. I had Yoshi's Story arrive this morning for it. And a new Super Mario 64.

Or a DC or Saturn or... retro gaming can be so much fun.
Wed 07/01/04 at 20:20
Regular
ßora† SagdiyeV wrote:
> Auf deutsch wrote:
>
> One of the blokes on Amazon who reviewed it said you can fit about
> 10
> game saves on it. But then again, he didn't specify what size saves
> they were. So they were probably tiny...
>
> It depends on the game, I mean, if you look at the size of a save for
> halo in comparison to a save from KOTOR, there's a big difference.
>
> A friend of mine had one and he could only fit three game saves on
> it.
>
> I think I'll just take the chance that they get wiped, I'll enjoy
> doing most of the games again anyway.
>
> There's no reason for them to wipe the hard drive because as far as I
> can gather, it's a DVD drive fault. But we'll see.

Heh, they probably threaten you so you go and buy a memory card...
Wed 07/01/04 at 20:03
Regular
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> You have a PC. Play that.
>
> I can never understand how people on these forums only play console
> games... when they're sitting at a PC when they're on the bloomin'
> forums.

I might do, but my PC is quite old. If I could afford to update my PC all the time, I wouldn't even bother with my XBOX.

The only games I have that I might want to play are :

Unreal Tournament
Red Alert 2 + Yuri's Revenge
MOH Allied Assault
Carmageddon 2
GTA2
Operation Flashpoint

I haven't installed any games for ages. My PC works perfectly, when you start installing loads of games it tends to screw things up.
Wed 07/01/04 at 19:58
Regular
Auf deutsch wrote:

> One of the blokes on Amazon who reviewed it said you can fit about 10
> game saves on it. But then again, he didn't specify what size saves
> they were. So they were probably tiny...

It depends on the game, I mean, if you look at the size of a save for halo in comparison to a save from KOTOR, there's a big difference.

A friend of mine had one and he could only fit three game saves on it.

I think I'll just take the chance that they get wiped, I'll enjoy doing most of the games again anyway.

There's no reason for them to wipe the hard drive because as far as I can gather, it's a DVD drive fault. But we'll see.
Wed 07/01/04 at 19:58
Regular
"That's right!"
You have a PC. Play that.

I can never understand how people on these forums only play console games... when they're sitting at a PC when they're on the bloomin' forums.
Wed 07/01/04 at 19:51
Regular
ßora† SagdiyeV wrote:
> Auf deutsch wrote:
> You could always go and buy a memory card to save some of the files
> to...
>
> hey good idea chief, I forgot about those. of course, you can only
> fit a piddling amount on them, can't you?

One of the blokes on Amazon who reviewed it said you can fit about 10 game saves on it. But then again, he didn't specify what size saves they were. So they were probably tiny...
Wed 07/01/04 at 19:50
Regular
Got it in April. Has worked perfectly until today when it completely packed up. The PS2 was a more progressive death. This was out of the blue.

My PC has lasted many years and has never packed up, my old amiga was indestructible. My N64 and SNES worked for yonks.

These 'next gen' consoles only need you to sneeze near them and they shout uncle.

Still, it's getting fixed for free so I won't complain. Although if I lose all my music and have to upload it all again, and all my saved games that I've built up are wiped, I won't be very impressed.

No XBOX or DVDs for a week, what'll I do???

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.