GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XBOX Maintenance"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/01/04 at 16:42
Regular
Ok, I want to discuss a topic today, that is close to all our hearts - XBOX Maintenance :D

Early last year, my PS2 did the unthinkable and died at the tender young age of less than 2 years old. By 'died' I mean it stopped playing some of my DVDs, then all of my DVDs, then some of my games, and yes, finally pretty much all of my games. I didn't take it to bits as I'm not known for my patience and I envisaged a screwdriver being jammed in certain circuit boards if I couldn't fix it. It resides in my wardrobe, and will be fixed when I can be arshed.

So here I am, nearly a year later, with my 'new' XBOX, which I bought straight after the PS2 died, and what starts to happen? It starts to fail playing my DVDs.

I got my Back to the Future Trilogy this morning, so watched the second and third films, back to back. They worked fine, except there was a tiny forgivable 1 second glitch during both of them. So I stuck in one of those poxy lens cleaner things, just to see if it'd work. Anyhoo, I then stick in Back to the Future 1 to watch the out-takes, which works fine. I stick in BTTF2 to watch the out-takes from that, and it just sits there, and sits there. I stick in BTTF3, and it just sits there, and sits there. The discs are flawless, and I know they work fine as I watched them earlier. So I stick BTTF1 back in, and it just sits there.

What the hell? I really am losing all patience with consoles. I realise it may just be dirt on the lens, but short of taking it to pieces I can think of no other way to sort it out. So that's the point of this thread - do any of you know any techniques to clean the damn things, WITHOUT reducing it to its component parts first? Or have you had a similar experience with your XBOX and know what it is (e.g. overheating etc). I mentioned overheating, as I switched it off for 20mins, then back on again, and BTTF2 worked fine. After watching the out-takes, I reset the machine, and again it wouldn't read the disc.

How frikking infuriating. There are a few guides to taking the things to bits and cleaning them, but if I'm reduced to that after less than a year then I'm afraid that is nothing short of pathetic. Views?
Thu 08/01/04 at 02:59
"I love yo... lamp."
Cyclone wrote:
> Man, I'd love an online version of that.
>
> No special graphics or anything, just no slow-down and smoother etc.
> Brilliant fun.
>
>
> Hmmm.
>
> My XBox has suddenly decided to display in black & white. My
> little Cube just hums away perfectly, while the XBox beastie does
> colour when it wants. Pretty sure it's just a faulty Scart cable, but
> damn annoying all the same!

I had that once. I.. er.. hadn't pushed the cable into the scart adapter thing properly.
Wed 07/01/04 at 22:25
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Maybe its because you "stuck in one of those poxy lens cleaner things, just to see if it'd work" and after that the XBox has stopped working.
Wed 07/01/04 at 21:57
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Man, I'd love an online version of that.

No special graphics or anything, just no slow-down and smoother etc. Brilliant fun.

Hmmm.

My XBox has suddenly decided to display in black & white. My little Cube just hums away perfectly, while the XBox beastie does colour when it wants. Pretty sure it's just a faulty Scart cable, but damn annoying all the same!
Wed 07/01/04 at 21:31
Regular
yep, I used to get three team mates and position them in that corridor on facility (the one between the two labs with big tanks in). get them to hold position and slaughter the geeks as they come through the doors.

the only downer is the 1 player missions suck somewhat.
Wed 07/01/04 at 21:29
Regular
Brings Back memories.

If you press A, Z, Z, remember you can control the bots (I think that was the combination anyway)
Wed 07/01/04 at 21:22
It's a shame I've sold it, I remember going through the challenges before finally meeting up with the DarkSim. They can walk through walls you know, and once they see you, you're dead.
Wed 07/01/04 at 21:19
Regular
Icarus wrote:

> I prefer Joanna in the dress myself.

I bet you do you filthmeister. :D

I always have guys in trenchcoats with those cool black helmets on.
Wed 07/01/04 at 21:18
Mr Blonde, or your boss Carrington?

I prefer Joanna in the dress myself.
Wed 07/01/04 at 21:17
Regular
Icarus wrote:
> Actually, HardSims put up a convincing fight.

yeah. god it's a good game. plus I can always have a geezer on my team.
Wed 07/01/04 at 21:16
Actually, HardSims put up a convincing fight.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.