GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XBOX Maintenance"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/01/04 at 16:42
Regular
Ok, I want to discuss a topic today, that is close to all our hearts - XBOX Maintenance :D

Early last year, my PS2 did the unthinkable and died at the tender young age of less than 2 years old. By 'died' I mean it stopped playing some of my DVDs, then all of my DVDs, then some of my games, and yes, finally pretty much all of my games. I didn't take it to bits as I'm not known for my patience and I envisaged a screwdriver being jammed in certain circuit boards if I couldn't fix it. It resides in my wardrobe, and will be fixed when I can be arshed.

So here I am, nearly a year later, with my 'new' XBOX, which I bought straight after the PS2 died, and what starts to happen? It starts to fail playing my DVDs.

I got my Back to the Future Trilogy this morning, so watched the second and third films, back to back. They worked fine, except there was a tiny forgivable 1 second glitch during both of them. So I stuck in one of those poxy lens cleaner things, just to see if it'd work. Anyhoo, I then stick in Back to the Future 1 to watch the out-takes, which works fine. I stick in BTTF2 to watch the out-takes from that, and it just sits there, and sits there. I stick in BTTF3, and it just sits there, and sits there. The discs are flawless, and I know they work fine as I watched them earlier. So I stick BTTF1 back in, and it just sits there.

What the hell? I really am losing all patience with consoles. I realise it may just be dirt on the lens, but short of taking it to pieces I can think of no other way to sort it out. So that's the point of this thread - do any of you know any techniques to clean the damn things, WITHOUT reducing it to its component parts first? Or have you had a similar experience with your XBOX and know what it is (e.g. overheating etc). I mentioned overheating, as I switched it off for 20mins, then back on again, and BTTF2 worked fine. After watching the out-takes, I reset the machine, and again it wouldn't read the disc.

How frikking infuriating. There are a few guides to taking the things to bits and cleaning them, but if I'm reduced to that after less than a year then I'm afraid that is nothing short of pathetic. Views?
Tue 13/01/04 at 22:53
Regular
I was only yesterday announcing how happy I was with microsoft for their excellent service. Now I'm going to be without my xbox for ANOTHER week. From my limited knowledge of DVD/CD drives I would wager that the laser is out of allignment.

Shoddy rushed workmanship is afoot, and they will be getting a less than pleasant phonecall tomorrow morning.

I can take some consolation in the fact that they will be out of pocket with having to pick up and deliver my xbox again.
Tue 13/01/04 at 22:50
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Oooo.. displeasure on many parts.

Hmmm, Splinter Cell crashed earlier. Damn it.....

Still, tis a brilliant game.
Tue 13/01/04 at 22:41
Regular
looks like I spoke too soon. It won't play most of my DVDs.

looks like it'll be going back then.

glad I didn't fill in the customer service questionnaire yet.
Tue 13/01/04 at 21:40
Regular
"All about the Beats"
My Xbox is skipping my audio cd's.

They dont make em like the 'ole Dreamcast anymore.
Tue 13/01/04 at 20:22
"I love yo... lamp."
Does the DVD drive have two round holes on the disc tray?
Mon 12/01/04 at 09:19
Regular
Well, got my XBOX back this morning, all wrapped up nicely, cleaner than when it went back, with all the data still on the hard drive. it has a new DVD drive in it, which runs quieter and my games even load in less time. I might even say I'm glad it went back, it's better than new.

Truly excellent service - microsoft will be getting a tick in every box for this .....
Thu 08/01/04 at 16:26
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Ah, but mine is second hand.

And it was working fine on another TV - I reckon it is the current TV, or summat has happened to the Scart cable, but the TV is pretty old.
Thu 08/01/04 at 16:00
Regular
I remember when I got me GC, it always appeared on the screen in colour, but with lines constantly going across it. So I had to go and fork out £25 to buy an RGB Cable.

Still, it was worth it though. If you switch leads during gameplay, you can see the difference. (Plus you can play in 60Hz mode)
Thu 08/01/04 at 15:55
Regular
Cyclone wrote:
> Oh, I've pushed it in! Still no colour. It just seems to display
> colour when it wants to.
>
> RAR!

If it's under warranty, get them to sort it for free.

My opinion of Microsoft may improve dramatically. After ringing them at 6:30pm last night, they arrived (well, UPS did) at 7:30am this morning to collect it. That inspires a little more confidence.

Now, I wonder when I'll see it again ....
Thu 08/01/04 at 12:23
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Oh, I've pushed it in! Still no colour. It just seems to display colour when it wants to.

RAR!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.