GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XBOX Maintenance"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/01/04 at 16:42
Regular
Ok, I want to discuss a topic today, that is close to all our hearts - XBOX Maintenance :D

Early last year, my PS2 did the unthinkable and died at the tender young age of less than 2 years old. By 'died' I mean it stopped playing some of my DVDs, then all of my DVDs, then some of my games, and yes, finally pretty much all of my games. I didn't take it to bits as I'm not known for my patience and I envisaged a screwdriver being jammed in certain circuit boards if I couldn't fix it. It resides in my wardrobe, and will be fixed when I can be arshed.

So here I am, nearly a year later, with my 'new' XBOX, which I bought straight after the PS2 died, and what starts to happen? It starts to fail playing my DVDs.

I got my Back to the Future Trilogy this morning, so watched the second and third films, back to back. They worked fine, except there was a tiny forgivable 1 second glitch during both of them. So I stuck in one of those poxy lens cleaner things, just to see if it'd work. Anyhoo, I then stick in Back to the Future 1 to watch the out-takes, which works fine. I stick in BTTF2 to watch the out-takes from that, and it just sits there, and sits there. I stick in BTTF3, and it just sits there, and sits there. The discs are flawless, and I know they work fine as I watched them earlier. So I stick BTTF1 back in, and it just sits there.

What the hell? I really am losing all patience with consoles. I realise it may just be dirt on the lens, but short of taking it to pieces I can think of no other way to sort it out. So that's the point of this thread - do any of you know any techniques to clean the damn things, WITHOUT reducing it to its component parts first? Or have you had a similar experience with your XBOX and know what it is (e.g. overheating etc). I mentioned overheating, as I switched it off for 20mins, then back on again, and BTTF2 worked fine. After watching the out-takes, I reset the machine, and again it wouldn't read the disc.

How frikking infuriating. There are a few guides to taking the things to bits and cleaning them, but if I'm reduced to that after less than a year then I'm afraid that is nothing short of pathetic. Views?
Wed 28/01/04 at 16:31
Regular
"8==="
A control-pad and headset have needed fixing though...
Wed 28/01/04 at 16:27
Regular
Don't tell me those things. Misery loves company ....
Wed 28/01/04 at 16:25
Regular
"8==="
Mine're fine. :P

Although they load games differently and stop to refresh FMV at different times to one another, which is weird.
Wed 28/01/04 at 16:15
Regular
Ok guys, I got a new xbox this week, as a replacement for the one that was as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

There are two problems, both relating to the custom soundtrack. Undescribable rage was building up until I surfed the net to search for the problems, and discovered they are both quite common.

First of all, in my GTA games and in PGR2, the custom soundtrack occasionally stutters for a brief second. It's noticable enough to be annoying, although it doesn't take much to annoy me. The soundtrack is fine when played through the dashboard.

Also, PGR2 won't play the first track of my custom soundtrack at all.

Both of these problems have been encountered by many other people on the web, so it is obviously a common problem, not that it makes it any less irritating. I think I'll put up with such minor problems as I don't like the idea of being without the thing for the best part of another month, while cretinous simpletons try to fix it. My guess is that the newer xboxes are fitted with cheaper hard drives which have trouble playing the music data at a sufficient speed, during game play.

So, am I alone here?
Mon 26/01/04 at 12:06
Regular
HEY HEY, got a nice new shiny xbox delivered today.

This should mean no more problems, and if it doesn't ..... *shakes fist*

Unfortunately it couldn't have come at a worse time - I have an exam tomorrow so have to revise.

Somebody somewhere is having a laugh at my expense.
Fri 23/01/04 at 17:36
Regular
"gsybe you!"
They should just give you a new one and me the life time supply of games.
Thu 22/01/04 at 22:06
Regular
Well folks, I boxed up my XBOX, and it was picked up for the THIRD time today.

First time, they replaced the DVD Rom. When I got it back, it wouldn't play DVDs.

Second time, they replaced the HD and motherboard. When I got it back, it worked fine for about an hour, then it wouldn't play ANYTHING.

If it comes back a third time not working I am going to ensure that the manager at xbox support gets to hear, just how useless and overpaid his employees are, and that I expect a brand new XBOX brought to my house in a limosine, to be presented to me by bill gates himself, and with a free lifetime supply of games.

Sound fair?
Sun 18/01/04 at 13:16
Regular
"BOSE"
2G2 wrote:
> Some times mine will whirrrr...click for 2-3 mins then normally
> carries on with the game, It drives me nuts! Ive never used my gba so
> much. There have been times when It just would not load and the only
> way out is to switch the xbox off.

that whirrrr sound is so bloody annoying! drives me a little nuts too. all i wonder is why does it do that? i treat my xbox nice!
Sat 17/01/04 at 21:37
Regular
"Im a Daddy :-)"
Some times mine will whirrrr...click for 2-3 mins then normally carries on with the game, It drives me nuts! Ive never used my gba so much. There have been times when It just would not load and the only way out is to switch the xbox off.
Sat 17/01/04 at 21:35
Regular
My Xbox sounds like a rocket taking off sometimes when it's reading a disc.

Still, at least it works...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.